X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost a customer today.

Previous customer called on Saturday with a broken pipe to an outside faucet. I told him I was extremely busy and couldn't get there until Tuesday which he was fine with. He was also extremely explicit that he didnt want me to come out after hours and charge him extra. (as the first time he called it was late night the day after thanksgiving, for a kitchen cable job and he was charged for a night call.)
    I show up today and easily replace the broken pipe and hose bibb. His wife showed me to the basement to turn the valve back on, and to her surprise there is water everywhere!
    After some diagnosis, I found out the sewer was stopped up and coming up through the floor drains. I notified them and started looking for a cleanout access. There is none. I look outside, in the basement, everywhere. The access to the bathroom is ridiculously narrow and only accesible through rickety stairs, and I inform them that it is going to be very difficult to clean a 100' sewer by pulling the toilet.
    All this guy cares about is price. He thinks my price to do it from the toilet is "EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE." His words. So I tell him I can do it from the roof, but I dont have a big enough ladder with me and I am booked up already until this evening and tomorrow I am available in the late afternoon (remember, he doesn't want to pay for night service, because he is a cheapskate. And this call wasn't supposed to be sewer call as they didn't even know about it until just now.)

So, being that they didn't even KNOW about the sewer until I informed about just now on this call, and the fact that this guy is so insistent on me doing it "cheap". I tell him I'll be back tomorrow with my ladder and charge him my regular rate, no night service charge.
    So I get home and he calls me at my dinnertime, around 8 pm and tells me to , "send him a bill, thanks for your service today, but we got somebody to come tomorrow morning at 8 am."
    I told him, "but I could do the job tomorrow, what is the problem?"
    He says, "well, you just didnt seem to show any enthusiasm to do the job."
    I tell him, "well that is because all you cared about is me doing it "cheap." I explained to you that you have no cleanout access, and the cheapest way was to go from the roof. Also you called me for something else entirely, so I didn't have the time scheduled for the sewer job without going into evening time, which you also didn't want to pay for, so I told you I could do it tomorrow."
    He says, "we were very happy with your service, but don't worry about the sewer, just send us a bill for the other work."
    I told him, "Don't worry about it. If you don't want me to do the sewer, fine , I won't send you a bill for anything."
    "No, no, no, we will pay you for your time.":
    "No, don't worry about it."
    Back and forth we go. Finally he accepted that I am not charging him anything for all the time I spent. So I hung up.
    I didn't charge him because I feel he is a cheapskate a$$hole, and obviously he acts like he is poor as dirt and I no longer want his business in anyway at all.

The point? And this goes for all other cheapskate customers whose main concern is price above all else:
    Why should I show any enthusiasm to work for someone...
    WHEN THEY SHOW NO ENTHUSIASM TO PAY FOR IT!!!

Anyway, I should have never scheduled the call in the first place since he talked so cheap on the phone. I only did it, because he is a previous customer, and he's old and handicapped and I felt sorry for him. Lesson learned. Next time someone is cheap with me on the phone, they are getting no appointment at all. Even previous customers. I can't afford to be running a charity. I CAN afford to turn these cheapskates away, because my services are in high demand and I am absolutely swamped with work.

AHHHH, I feel better now. Venting feels so good. I hope he called my old company Mr.R, because I know what they charge and he is in for a rude awakening when he founds out how much higher they are than me.
    Last edited by Service Guy; 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Re: Lost a customer today.

"Well you just didn't show any enthusiasm to do the job." That is a lie.

I know these people. He started calling around & found someone that doesn't know how to charge to do it for nothing for "beer money."

Keep on truckin' SG.

J.C.

Comment

I've always wanted to call these types up after a few months and see how they made out.
      I wonder if they are happy with the stains on their carpet from the mess left behind, or the fact that they ended up paying more in hidden fees, or ended up calling the guy back 6mts later because he only went as far as the clog and didn't bother to remove the rest of the roots.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I don't know about you guys but I try to save a buck anywhere I can as well. If someone doesn't care for my price let them go elsewhere and no hard feelings. It's called life.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I don't know about you guys but I try to save a buck anywhere I can as well. If someone doesn't care for my price let them go elsewhere and no hard feelings. It's called life.

Mark
          Me too Mark. I just feel 99% sure that he found someone cheaper and should have said so. Saying SG wasn't enthusiastic about it.... I just don't believe that. From what I've learned about him his very enthusiastic about his job and customer oriented.

In my opinion now he knows this guy will lie to him.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
            Mark, I agree. I was just surprised that this guy called me out though. He has used my services before, so he knew what I charged. Why did he call me out then, only to then call someone else?

Anyway, its over now. I just needed to vent. I really doubt he will save any money. The sewer is extremely difficult access...either cramped bathroom, or snowy roof. Also, it is at least 100 foot long sewer, maybe longer.
            You know, I should drive by tomorrow morning to see who he called and what they do. My other job is in the neighborhood anway. It should be hilarious.

Comment

Am I the only one surprised he thought it was a good idea to live with crap in his basement until the next day?

Comment

Glad I never have problems like this....

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  Am I the only one surprised he thought it was a good idea to live with crap in his basement until the next day?
                  Some people are even cheaper than me Charles.

J.C.

Comment

You should have seen the basement. Total dump, regardless of the sewage. The whole house was a dump.
                    You know though, that was definitely a factor, the fact that I didn't do the job right there on the spot. But I had a good paying job scheduled already, (which I went to and completed $371) and the fact that he was so whiny about price....well, I wasn't about to work in the dark for him at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                      You should have seen the basement. Total dump, regardless of the sewage. The whole house was a dump.
                      You know though, that was definitely a factor, the fact that I didn't do the job right there on the spot. But I had a good paying job scheduled already, (which I went to and completed $371) and the fact that he was so whiny about price....well, I wasn't about to work in the dark for him at that point.
                      I'm a little bit surprised that it is cheaper to do the roof, since it seems like there is a bigger chance of you getting hurt (even if you're careful). How lucky does that guy have to be to have something like that happen when you're already there and not have to call around to find someone who can come out quick.

Comment

Mark, I agree. I was just surprised that this guy called me out though. He has used my services before, so he knew what I charged. Why did he call me out then, only to then call someone else?

Anyway, its over now. I just needed to vent. I really doubt he will save any money. The sewer is extremely difficult access...either cramped bathroom, or snowy roof. Also, it is at least 100 foot long sewer, maybe longer.
                        You know, I should drive by tomorrow morning to see who he called and what they do. My other job is in the neighborhood anway. It should be hilarious.
                        The truth is he will get ripped off by some one else and call you the next time. Don't compromise your prices to appease him just treat him like anyone else. When he tells you he's going elsewhere politely wish him luck and head to the next job.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My main curiosity at this point is:
                          What would Dunbar do in this situation??? Curious.

Comment

I'm a little bit surprised that it is cheaper to do the roof, since it seems like there is a bigger chance of you getting hurt (even if you're careful). How lucky does that guy have to be to have something like that happen when you're already there and not have to call around to find someone who can come out quick.
                            It wasn't that much cheaper. But the bathroom was VERY tight, and the K-7500 couldn't get there because of rickety stairs, etc. So I would have to pull the nasty toilet, use the K-60 in cramped space, use 100 to 150 feet of cable in this tiny bathroom....it would have been extremely messy and back-breaking. I REALLY didn't want to do it from the toilet. Especially since he called my price EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE.
                            The roof would have been less work overall.

Now that I think of it...I am actually quite glad he cancelled. The job would have been a real pain.
                            Last edited by Service Guy; 01-20-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

My main curiosity at this point is:
                              What would Dunbar do in this situation??? Curious.
                              Understanding the poor guy may be in a financial squeeze I think he'd do it for free.
                              At the end of the Job, just when the customer feels he's got away Scott free and he's all beaming with pride, Dunbar would bite his face off!!!
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X