X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign of the times?

Did a main line at a furniture store today. Got talking about the economy with the owner. He's down 52%, and about 2mo from closing if something doesn't give. We discussed it a little more as I worked, then I got an idea. He's got no more paper towels in his line, and I've got a new coffee table.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Sign of the times?

I would like to hear how people around the country are handling the economy. In my area it has not affected us much, we dont have many big corporations in our area, except for GM, which I think is helping us maintain through this time. We have also had an enormous amount of natural gas exploration which has helped.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
      Did a main line at a furniture store today. Got talking about the economy with the owner. He's down 52%, and about 2mo from closing if something doesn't give. We discussed it a little more as I worked, then I got an idea. He's got no more paper towels in his line, and I've got a new coffee table.
      Think If I walk into a GM dealership with a sign that says will work for truck they would bite?

I dont get GM, asking for bailout money but they havent budged with their 08's pricing yet!!! Ford is practically giving away their 08's!!! I dont get it isnt some money better than none!

Comment

Originally posted by pioneer1 View Post
        I would like to hear how people around the country are handling the economy. In my area it has not affected us much, we dont have many big corporations in our area, except for GM, which I think is helping us maintain through this time. We have also had an enormous amount of natural gas exploration which has helped.
        I'm ok down here so far neighbor. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

I got a $1300.00 mattress as partial payment a couple weeks ago. I need a woman to help me break it in.

Will serve food and go to movie afterwards. 606-248-8119 Call after 4pm and leave message.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

[quote=DUNBAR;214368]I got a $1300.00 mattress as partial payment a couple weeks ago. I need a woman to help me break it in.

Will serve food and go to movie afterwards.
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              I got a $1300.00 mattress as partial payment a couple weeks ago. I need a woman to help me break it in.

Will serve food and go to movie afterwards. 606-248-8119 Call after 4pm and leave message.
              I always had this backwards. I thought it was dinner movie then mattress break in

Comment

Maybe you can take your table or your mattress to your bank and pay your mortgage payment. If they wont take it as payment try your supply house.
                ________
                HONDA NX650
                Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:22 PM.
                Mike

Comment

I dont get it isnt some money better than none!
                  Not when you've got those free "Obama Bucks"* flowing your way!

* You heard it here first. Obama Bucks will be the name associated with these handouts in the future. Oh yeah, Patent Pending as Homer would say.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                    Maybe you can take your table or your mattress to your bank and pay your mortgage payment. If they wont take it as payment try your supply house.
                    i say if you are able to do something like taking something other then $$ every so often to help some one out then do it ,the feeling you will get will be better then you think .

we are starting to slow down now ,they lay off 2 helpers last week .this is the first time in 18 yrs the company has bin around this was don because of no work .im not sure how long they will be off and i know there are some big jobs in the works .
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I opened up on Nov 1st and have done about $35,000 since. So far so good in South Florida I think smaller compaines that just do service work will have no problems and may even benifiet from people shopping around for a lower price. Bigger companies that charge twice as much and relied on new constrution are gonna have a problem
                      You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

I think you are right, people who depend on new construction maybe hurting.
                        Hebert I will be in your neck of the woods next weekend for my anniversary and hope to catch a st paddys parade.

Comment

Found this interesting and scary

Ohio School Janitor Job Gets 700 Applicants

March 8, 2009 11:06 AM

MASSILON, Ohio — Evidence of the slumping economy is stacking up at an Ohio school which has nearly 700 applications for one open janitorial job.
                          Officials at Perry Local Schools near Canton in northeast Ohio say they've extended the deadline until Monday to accommodate the overwhelming response to the week-old posting.
                          The full-time position at Edison Junior High School pays $15 to $16 an hour plus benefits.
                          Superintendent John Richard says many applicants are laid-off workers with heart-wrenching stories about the tough economic times.
                          Forty-nine-year-old Donna Croston says she applied after losing jobs at two nearby factories that closed.
                          Croston says her chances of being hired amid the hundreds of applicants are slim, but she's hoping to get lucky.
                          ___

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Time....the measurement of change. Everything changes...and this to shall pass.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

We've had a job fair at the City on February 19th 2009. During our last job fair last year in 2008, we had about 855 people walked thru our fair seeking work for the City from 11:00 am to 4:30 pm. This year with the economy so bad, we had 2444 people walk thru looking for employment in 5 1/2 hours. I had a few with desperate looks on their face telling me they'll accept any work at any hours because they have four mouths to feed. I just wish I was able to give them all work. They all know the municpal government have certain benefits like job security, and other good benefits. I feel for them all.

Comment

Working...
                              X