• Show
Clear All

• U.s.a bases overseas

gday

has anyone work on U.S.A army bases overseas

please tell me your stories

one of my mates working on one

Re: U.s.a bases overseas

I had a great time in Iraq plumbing and working on the military base sewer Dept. It was quite an experience

Comment

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE !

what branch are you or were you in ?

U.S.A.F. April 29, 1974 to
      July 29, 1976 Base Fire Protection and Base Plumbing Journeyman

CA. National guard Sept 1976 to Feb 28, 1981

Last edited by JERRYMAC; 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM.
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Thanks Jerry but I was out of the Marines back in 1986. I was a civilian contractor.

Comment

I spent 4 years as a contractor and went to a few of the places listed above and even more that are not listed. Be careful of the companies you deal with some are not legit. Also be aware that some companies change their pay scales based on your country of orgin ( All of the Aussies and Sheep Shaggers were on the US pay scales though the Eastern Europeans made alot less)

Okie
          Last edited by OkieBill; 05-17-2009, 09:24 AM. Reason: Gave to much information...lol

Comment

Originally posted by bazzabushman View Post
            gday

has anyone work on U.S.A army bases overseas

please tell me your stories

one of my mates working on one
            I have. Ever seen "Romex jockeys" try to make a high voltage splice? It ain't pretty.

Al Udeid AFB, Qatar - July of 2005:
            A John Deere "cable finder" tears up an underground 11KV line. Blows up a transformer back at the power plant, and knocked out power to a quarter of the base for twelve hours. Primarily the Civil Engineering sleeping quarters ironically enough. God that was a long night. My supervisor, after the splice was made, used a megger to test the insulation, made the following statement, "I'm getting a trace reading, but lets just power this thing up and see what happens."

You know it's bad when even the nearby plumbers get scared and back off a good distance. Yeah... we had a fireworks show that night.

Comment

I left the plumbing business and worked over seas but not in contracting construction. I am a former Navy Seal and other Spec ops group and went back to my old ways. Worked for Blackwater Security for Diplomats; best company in the world to work for in that area. I got a chance to work with some of the finest individuals in the world. I want quote you my salary. I was ok with it but the risks were high and job satisfaction was great..
              Now, I am simply getting older, I like plumbing, kids, grandkids and it helps to have their grandmother in the bed with me at night.
              Proud of our soldiers and love the USA

Comment

Saw this post and couldn't help but have a say: There is a local Marine Repair & Supply Depot here which repairs a lot of heavy mobile units for the Marines, Army, and Air Force. Just the other evening on local news there was an article on "Civilian Marine Volunteers" (Civil Service) going to Iraq to work on equipment re-furbished by this base. A Marine Officer stated that the volunteers were deeply appreciated and were saving the U. S. monies by not having to ship this equipment back here for these minor repairs. But-they wish they could get more people to go. I've asked about this and can find no reasonable answer: Why isn't there a program where retired people, in good health, with years of skills/experience, volunteer to go do what jobs they are qualified for? I'm 60 yrs. of age, retired machinist/maintenance tech, in good health, and would go for one year to do what I can to support our troops and the U. S. Just my 2¢ worth, David

Comment

does anyone have any tips on how get jobs over there

Comment

Teach the government common sense!

Comment

You have to get on the computer and look up some of the big contractors over there. I don't think KBR has near as many contracts as they use to. Fluor and maybe ratheon would be the companies to contact and keep contacting over and over. Don't take no responce or no for an answer

Comment

do have there website address

thanks

i owe you beer

Comment

are any website i should look at

for jobs on army bases overseas

Comment

ANY JOBS GOING ON USA BASE OR AUSSIE BASES

GDAY
                            trendsetters
                            i am in my donga
                            shy gap yarrie was **** place
                            now i am at sinclair mine
                            where can i get cheap christmas cards that support charity like rfds
                            what a good brand of digital tv lcd tv for my donga
                            where best place to buy one in perth little one
                            i am going be here for christmas
                            why dont talk to me on skype my usersname BAZZA THE BUSHMAN
                            dont be shy now

Comment

Before you decide to go work in a foreign country, and on a military base, be it American, or other you need to have a heartfelt "Come to Jesus" discussion with yourself and your family.

I am not going to go into the mega-details but all give you a few pointers.

If you are offered a job working on a foreign soil on a military base you need to ask the following questions first and foremost, before you even talk about money!

1. How dangerous is the location?
                              2. Can I be Killed, or kidnaped?
                              3. Does the company I work for provide:
                              a. Kidnap insurance?
                              b. Life insurance?

When the U.S. was planning the invasion of Iraq in 2003 a select group of speciality contractors was contacted to be a part of that initial wave. My company was one of them. These contractors, specifically those with the ability to provide infrastructure support, Electrical, Water, Sewage where to be brought in and imbedded in forward established bases after an area was somewhat secured. There job was then to re-build the infrastructure.

When I received those initial contacts from the D.O.D. I formulated a RFI, (Request For Information).

(I grew up in a very black ops family environment. My dad was one of those guys they make movies about. On the few occasions in his life that he opened up and talked about his covert military experiences he warned us about working in and being involved with third world nations)

Using my questions above I knew the scope of questions 1 and 2, however before I or anyone in my company went oversees I specifically wanted to know if the U.S. Government would foot the bill for #3, a & b. The reply I got back was no, and we were specifically told we could not include it in the scope of our billing. With that knowledge I declined to go. I did however warn my trade industry to notify the industry as a whole to be cautious. That more or less fell on deaf ears.

Within eight months of the initial invasion you started reading reports of American Contractors being kidnaped and killed. Many of those contractors were water treatment contractors who had no idea what they were getting into.

The ones that were kidnaped that you did not hear about, were the ones who’s companies had kidnap insurance in place. For example employees of Haliburton.

Comment

Working...
                              X