Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Two Guys and a Truck, is a Bad Bad Thing

$300,000.00 HOME

Customer ~ "We just need you to install the toilet flange so we can set the toilet."

Dunbar ~ "Something just does NOT look right Ma'am."
    "Wait a minute. Let me take a closer look."

"Something doesn't look right because that's not pipe sticking up, and I can't use a flush fit flange on that. Hrmmmm... is that the pipe turning immediately under that floor? And why is the pipe so flexible when I barely move it?"

"What the..."

"Son of a..."

"Holy..."

"****ing *** Damn Lady WTF did you let this happen for?!??!"

Customer ~ "Well, what can you do to fix this?"
    Dunbar "Well, let's cut this out and see how bad this really is."

JOHN MCENROE ~ "You have got to be kidding me!!!"

This was a pretty disturbing job. I couldn't believe my eyes, knowing how expensive this home was and how F-d up this job was becoming just by doing some exploratory removal of the floor the two contractors put down. The ONLY reason this was done was for the shower being enlarged another 8". The setting of this new location of the toilet was right on top of that shower, less than 10" to center of flange, which is against code.
    Here's the talent these guys took to make that floor not hump to get that piping underneath the wood. One screw, one nail and you've just popped a hole in that pipe, causing a leak.

I'm so glad I didn't do this job......but I'm so glad I saved the pictures to show everyone that woodworking is a new hobby for some when there's on the job training.

I couldn't believe how they cut that joist, which is a 2 by 12.
    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 05-26-2009, 11:19 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: When Two Guys and a Truck, is a Bad Bad Thing

(Billy Crystal) "Marvelous, simply marvelous."

Wow, that is some beautiful work there Dunbar. I wouldn't want to be seen in the same county as that job.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I guess they hired the lowest bidder.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

It was bad.......real bad. The lady was trying to give me hell for wanting to implement the following:

Double up that joist that was butchered

Steel plate it, then drill through both as the hole has to be lower, or same height as the pipe leading back to the vertical

Replace the tee where all this connects because this guy had this pvc piping literally spring loaded in that joist

That involved getting into the wall and the ceiling of a gorgeous bathroom directly below that had 11 foot ceilings. The only reason this isn't a half million dollar home is because it wasn't a large home.

And it was in a small neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by HebertDrainCare View Post
          I guess they hired the lowest bidder.

Looks more like OJT minus the training.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          ---------
          ---------

Comment

How did they magically plan to connect the toilet?

And what happened to the "plumber" that did this?

J.C.

Comment

Funny thing to me is...

She probably got the lowest bid on the "hidden" most important part of the job, and spent a fortune on the cosmetics; tile, fixtures, his/her towels, etc.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                How did they magically plan to connect the toilet?

And what happened to the "plumber" that did this?

J.C.

I don't know what type of flange they planned on using but I'll tell you that it was going to be impossible to use the correct one. That turn of direction was too quick and anything I use to the outside or inside wasn't going to work, given its sharp turn heading right.

And like all homeowners that want to complain about getting F&*KED, She didn't have or didn't want to tell me the guy's name. Nice, protect your abuser. Isn't that a common habit.

I bluntly demanded for both the names of the ones who did this and sure enough, she wouldn't divulge it. At that point in time I'm getting angry because if you're willing to protect the idiots who did this, you deserve to suffer the result because you're too effing stupid to know otherwise. So, I left being cynical and she was left with the bought catastrophe hiding the ones who did the work.

Apparently "Da Plumbah" was doing this under the brow because he was going through a divorce and was getting paid cash from the other dude, blah blah blah.

Comment

If his plumbing is that sloppy imagine how bad his other 'service' work is. No wonder she wants a divorce.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Holy cow! Hacked right through a major structural member there. I like your idea of laminating the two 2x12s onto the joist and beefing it up with steel. Ive seen a lot of plumbing like this here in Canada, there's even a show called "Holmes on Homes" where a contractor named Mike Holmes chronicles hack renovation jobs and the repair of them. You might know of him cause of the "Make it Right" foundation he started with Brad Pitt to rebuild the lower 9th ward in New Orleans. You should check it out. As for walking away, I don't blame you. That lady needs more help than you can offer, not to mention the "plumber" who did that work.

Nice job and thanks for the laugh, followed by the cringe..

Comment

glad you could take care of this lady and repair that mess.

That's what I was talking about on the grooved pipe thread the other day, something doesn't seem right here.

I don't understand people that think because they can buy or borrow a few tools they are professionals.

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                        glad you could take care of this lady and repair that mess.

That's what I was talking about on the grooved pipe thread the other day, something doesn't seem right here.

I don't understand people that think because they can buy or borrow a few tools they are professionals.

G3
                        I think that is why many here are hesitant to give advice to people whom they believe don't have the background knowledge to properly implement any fix or repair they might suggest, leaving the giving your work away issue aside only for this discussion because I don't believe in doing that either.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Anyone can do this stuff. Professional Licensed Contractors charge too much.
                          ...NOT! People need to check licenses and references before they hire someone or try to DIY.
                          Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

wouldn't it be funny if the work chronicalled here was done by a liscensed professional plumber who was a better salesman than he was tradesman?
                            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                              wouldn't it be funny if the work chronicalled here was done by a liscensed professional plumber who was a better salesman than he was tradesman?

Seriously Doubt it. Anyone with a license understands that work like is going to come back in a form of a lawsuit. Licensed contractors are liable for their actions. If your a scum bag hack that has no licnese and a phone number that can be easily changed, why do clean work? no need for insurance or anything.

I'm not saying that contracters work is clean, generals contribute to the problem by employeeing these "cheap I can plumb pick me up from depot" plumbers. I was at job where this happened yesterday, brand new house! sloppy, sloppy, sloppy, but the general washed his hands and blamed it on the plumbers, come to find out, the plumbers are not licensed and drive around town moonlighting.

As for advice given ont his site, I stopped it because i feel it is not doing anyone nay good, the plumbing gets installed wrong anyways and I am putting a fellow tradesman out of work somewhere.

I say all DIY sites and that darn DIY channel need to be eliminated, it is easy to type a solution to a plumbing problem, and I am sure it helps ego's of those that are helping, but the person giving the info is putting someone else out of work.
                              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X