X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsoldered Joint goes for 22 hours

Amazingly enough, I make mistakes. Haaahaaahahaahahaahaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Oops wait,

I had a hell of a time installing a N55BU2 yesterday under a set of steps, my fault entirely and forgot to sweat the fitting on the union part on the outgoing of the PRV.

I did however slightly crimp that fitting as I didn't want to have the joint drop as I soldered...I guess it would of helped if I soldered it though.

Customer calls at 9:10pm, I was there at 9:27pm. "Slight leak at the main".

It could of been reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall ugly folks. Married couple with kids, sends the kids off to babysitters, parents go out with other married couple, come home to see water cascading down the driveway.

It "could" have happened. This isn't the first time I've forgotten to solder a fitting, but it "is" the first time I've had one go so long and not leak, then start to slightly leak. Close tolerance from fitting to pipe had a lot to do with it.

I've been in a huge hurry these days, working lots of hours, eating lots of 99 cent jumbo hot dogs, it can happen to you.

All I had to do was fire the torch up and done. Sucked up the water that was on the floor which wasn't much, never made it to any of the carpets, talked to the customers for an hour and a half and left. Good people, talked about everything but plumbing.

I offered them to submit a claim if they wanted but they shirked it off. I work for the entire family, can't tell you how many thousands of dollars it's been since 2002. My response time was impressive they said.

Powah to da Pwummah!
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Unsoldered Joint goes for 22 hours

We were renovating a 10 story hotel tower a dozen years ago. Ripping out the cabinet heaters and installing new ones. Found a number of solder joints that had never been soldered since the tower was built 10 years earlier. Also found a empty can of LACO in one of the walls so that is probably what they used on the joints. The joints were in such a place that they never could have blown apart, not enough play in the pipe for movement. Once that flux setup and figuring it was days later before testing and the water went in, they apparently did not leak.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

It happens unfortunately.

My brother who is also a licensed plumber burned down half of a detached shed once from soldering. The insulation smoldered for hours and ignited later that evening. No one was hurt. I dont know what happened as far as insurance as he was working for somebody. He hates when I bring it up .

Thankfully you didnt have to make a claim, or had serious damage.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

the first run of viega propress fittings had the same problem. if you forgot to crimp, they would not leak, but could pull apart if they had play.

the new series is called smart connect. they have a little nick built into the fitting so they will leak if not crimped.

glad you got away with a minor scare

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I've seen them last 6-months to a year before they leaked. I had one recently go 8-years (not ours) but the water was not on the entire 8-years. When we make a mistake it reminds us we are not perfect and that's okay.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Too close. You must live right!

Comment

Making me nervous DB. I've NEVER had an unsoldered joint not leak right away. Now you're gonna' have me checking the joints like Rain Man.

J.C.

Comment

When I have seen it its because the joint sat unsoldered for an extended periods of time, like overnight. With todays' flux it does not seem as probable as it used to be.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I had one start dripping after 6- months ones it's not a leak if you didn't soldered it.

Comment

No one taught me this, i do it ALWAYS. with a crescent wrench ,I give a good wrap to every fitting ,as soon as the water is back on. I hate phone calls at night
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Where I live there are 8 pieces of property that share a well (500 gallon tank with 2in outlet going to all 8 properties) There is a lot down towards the end of the main that goes to an empty lot and got broken off bellow ground one day. The broken pipe was 1.2in PVC and shooting water out like crazy. I had a cap, but no glue with me. Shut the well off, left the cap sitting on the ground and went to buy glue. 20min later I get back and the cap is on the pipe and the well back on (neighbor couldnt leave well enough alone.) Me and the neighbor got into it and he claimed that his non glue repair was good enough and didnt want me to shut the well back off to do it right. I wanted to prove to him how wrong he was so I left it alone. Its been close to a year now, and the cap is still dripping slightly and still on. Never seen anything like it before in my life.

Comment

Working...
                      X