Never Underestimate the Power of a Cardboard Water Heater Box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Underestimate the Power of a Cardboard Water Heater Box

I always ask the customer if they have kids or grandkids if they want me to cut the box in a way that allows them to have fun it.

I think the customers really appreciate it and I thought I'd finally take a video/pictures of what that experience is like for the little people.

I've been doing work for this family for a few years, been referred to other family members and they are just down to earth great people.

A snapshot in time for those kids and the mother is supposed to send me an email so I can show those kids how cool it is to be on the world wide web.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jly4Q...layer_embedded
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Never Underestimate the Power of a Cardboard Water Heater Box

I will never forget. . . .for my neice's 2nd birthday Rick took a water heater box and cut a door and windows out and gave it to her. My brother was mad that all she would play with was that stupid box rather than all the expensive toys she received!

Eight years later and we still talk about it
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Definitely! I remember all the fun I had growing up as a kid when you could take a bunch of them and build little corridors with them so you could move around.

These kids played in those boxes the entire time I was there replacing the heater.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        I will never forget. . . .for my neice's 2nd birthday Rick took a water heater box and cut a door and windows out and gave it to her. My brother was mad that all she would play with was that stupid box rather than all the expensive toys she received!

Eight years later and we still talk about it
        i should have remembered that for our 1st. year date anniversary

if they have kids, i will usually save the box. if not i use it as floor protection.

the best fun is when i give them superman rides with my truck crane arm

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

When I was about 4 or 5 I had this box a fridge came in that my dad turned into a house. It had doors and windows, and I traced out some receptacle covers and made little outlets for fake electrical. My grandfather who was a mechanical engineer gave me a boiler drain and I stuck it in the outside to make a hose-bibb and everything. Ive always loved plumbing since I was little, used to drive around in my little tykes truck with tools in the back, either carpentry or plumbing related, and followed EVERY plumbing, HVAC and electrical system in every public building I could get my eyes on by the time I was old enough to ask what it was or what it did.

Comment

Just another box story: When I was growing up (my wife says I have not finished yet), there was a huge hill near our neighborhood. This red clay hill must have been 1000 feet high to us back then, actually it is probably 15 feet today. We would cherish any cardboard box we could get, take it to the hill, flatten it out, and ride down that hill until the cardboard box wore out. My Mom still tells the story of how all of my pants had "red butts" to them from this clay hill. Kids today just don't know much about inventing fun from nothing. David

Comment

So true. I remember having a blast with some of the simplest of items back in the day.

Comment

When my girls were kids i would bring home a stove or fridge box about the time school finished for the summer. We would put it on the screened porch and cut flaps for door and windows. The girls would use their crayons to decorate and play in their house all summer. When school started in the fall it was time to throw the worn out box away.

Comment

I have fond memories growing up doing the same. I guess that's why I enjoy my office at the shop. It's about just as small but fits the needs perfectly.

Comment

They also make great sleds this time of year - just not around trees because they don't steer! Don't ask me how I know this!

Comment

Yep, thats what we had for sleds to.
                      Once in a while we were lucky to get our hands on a car hood!
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I just had to change our water heater at home. I cut 3 slits in the box to make a door to take out the heater. I gave t to my boys, and they pretended it was a porta-john. It's still in the living room, laying on it's side. The boys are playing with their Bionicles on it, right now. When the 6 year old gets mad, he takes a few stuffed animals in there and closes the door for a few minutes, then he's cool.

Comment

Working...
                        X