X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmer rick

i'm a city slicker, not a country boy but last week i had a chance to play farmer rick.

can't get into the specifics, but i had the opportunity to inspect a grain dryer.

basically it's a large vertical silo that has a big burner and fan blowers to circulate hot air through the interior and force it out between the screens that house the grain.

the unit stands 112' tall, has 3- 125hp electric blowers and a burner that's roughly 72 millon btu's

grain enters from the top and gets distributed to the outer walls of the dryer. as they fill the cavity between the inner and outer stainless perforated screen, the heat and blowers dry the grain. the conveyors keep the grain filling and flowing.

as you can see, i climbed in, around and on top

the view, heights and cold wind was amazing.

sorry i can't get into the real story behind the photos, as it's still being investigated.

rick.

as you can see, it's windy, and cold. my hands were turning blue.

as high as it gets. well over the top of grain storage silos. all climbed by outside stairs and ladders.

the dryer with the storage silos left and right of it.

yes, that's the micro explorer that i climbed up the ladders with. it was very useful in looking at the items of interest.

a long way down 1 handed.

sure could have used some of the 72 millon btu's to heat up the area.

inside the dryer. grain is held in between the inner and out walls of the stainless screens. approx 8-10'' deep. this is a 24' diameter dryer.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-29-2009, 02:48 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Farmer rick

Your such a post of the week junkie.. but I cant help it. This one deserves one. Very cool job.

Josh

Comment

thanks for the pictures
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Nice pics Rick

But to be a real farmer you need to get some fresh green cow pies on those city boy slip ons!

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
          Nice pics Rick

But to be a real farmer you need to get some fresh green cow pies on those city boy slip ons!

G3
          not this job

this job was my water proof lace up boots.

i was working in mud the prior 3 days up to my ankles.

rick.

boots drying from a 14 hour day.

it's not what you think.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-29-2009, 11:02 AM.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick,
            You need to wash the mud off of those three pair of boots you've got drying before you dry them. If the mud dries on the boots, it'll pull all the natural oils and moisture from the leather and crack them like an ole lady's face. Rinse them off good, use a stiff brush with running water, them throw them on a Peet boot dryer and they'll be good to go in the morning. If no Peet dryer, lay them on their sides, point a fan at them, and gently blow them dry that way. NO HEAT.
            Cheers,
            Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

HAHA that almost looks like a smiley face

I second the boot care, I don't have a dryer, just lay them on their sides in frint of the refrigerater, blows warm air in them all night.

G3

Comment

Too high in the sky fo me. High elevations have their own domain and I'm not a part of them.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

It might not hurt to add a 100' length of rope to your tool list. Then you can keep proper contact with the ladder and less chance of dropping an expensive piece of gear. If you have ever seen anyone who has fallen from one of those fixed caged ladders, it's not fun or pretty.

---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I worked at a plant that had a caged ladder like that except it had the safety line up the middle of it. It was a cable with an ascender on it, had to wear a safety harness and tie off on it. It was a place that processed low level rad waste and the work clothes they issued was the doctors scrubs and if it was cold or dirty work you could put on tyvec coveralls. Anyway one of the maint. guys was climbing the ladder and pulled the ascender up and it pinched his.......well.... private parts and had it bleeding. The whole place was laughing at him, you just had to be there. He was trying to show it to everybody.

G3

Comment

My oldest brother works at a grain elevator. Moisture in the corn and beans is a huge concern. If it's too wet, it rots and will ruin all the other grain in the bin. The price per bushel is set at a specific moisture content. It costs money to dry it, so the farmers like it to dry in field, but we had an extremely late harvest this year because of late fall rains. There is still standing corn by me, but I guess it's probably a insurance write-off now.

Comment

Bob i was going to say the same thing that a little thin rope could save your life .that way you can use 2 hands and 2 feet to go up the ladder .

and the picture of your poopy pants is better then the one with me in the stockade
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post

and the picture of your poopy pants is better then the one with me in the stockade
                          charlie, you of all people should reconize that is not my

remember that i was the cameraman behind the lens, not in front of the lens

a real plumber would know that's south dakota mud and not los angeles pooh

try again charlie

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

rick after i posted i bid say thats not a cute butt so its not ricks
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                            X