X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i told him to hire a laborer

i was suppose to go install a 2 way cleanout today as the homeowner had a little more digging to do to finish the hole for the c/o.

looked at it yesterday and the ground was soft and pipe was already exposed. he had another hour or so to get the ditch cleaned and opened up enough for me to cut in the texas twin c/o.

told the owner, a 50-55 year old electrical salesman to hire a laborer and let him finish the lower c/o and dig the upper area to repair the broken pipe. figured he had a 1/2 day worth of work for him.

so my phone rings around 2:30 while meeting ben for lunch owner said he didn't get the hole finished as he got hurt

turns out he had an old school steel digging bar and while he was using it, he drove the sharpened edge up into the underside of his chin

11 stitches later and $100. er deductible, he should have listened to me

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: i told him to hire a laborer

"Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

For the rest of the viewers out there not living in CA, getting cheap labor is easy around here. You can find illegals anywhere around here to work cheap. Should've cost the guy 30 to get that hole dug.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

He should have gone to Home Depot and picked up a day laborer hanging out. Sometimes the homeowners really need to listen to the contractor. Would love to see pics.

Comment

mark, it's bad enough i told him i was going to write a thread about it. but i'll let you call him and ask for a photo

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Jones View Post
            He should have gone to Home Depot and picked up a day laborer hanging out. Sometimes the homeowners really need to listen to the contractor. Would love to see pics.
            And this is your illegal immigration problem in a nutshell.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              And this is your illegal immigration problem in a nutshell.

J.C.
              I would rather see them actually work and earn a living than to just get a hand out from the government and our tax dollars. Our government is far more concerned with helping others before looking at its own people. I would rather see them get legal too.

Comment

the home depot i go to is the top 99.9% in sales in the country. i was there yesterday to pick up a few last minute tools

literally a 100 guys waiting outside the parking lot. amazing that well over 20 trucks for hauling/ demo work. no way do they all find work on a regular basis.

at 1 time they parked in the lot. i guess hd ran them out at the blessing of the customers. now they have a security guard on a golf cart to make sure that the day workers stay off the property.

every paint store has them looking for work.

can't wait for the day they show up at the donut shop

but i guess if someone was to get hurt, probably better the owner than the day worker who would find a lawyer to sue you

i'll try to get a photo of his chin when i do go back.

not sure how to ask him, but i'll come up with a way

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

So where does someone find a laborer in your parts?
                  I got plenty over here.

Comment

My day laborer when I need one is a plumber getting payed $65 bucks an hour maybe less if the job is big and he has nothing else to do. He is an American or here legally and has his liability insurance.

Comment

Too bad there aren't negative points to be given because I think the Op and his buddies would be in the red.

Laughing at an injured person? A customer yet? A retired customer? Boy, you wouldn't make it past my gate. There are those who start a business to do business and there are those who start a business because they can't get hired. On the internet, the latter is obvious by the higher post counts. The higher the post count, the bigger the slacker.

Hiring illegal aliens? Are you kidding me? I know California sucks big time and Californians are about as wanted as an AIDS patient at an orgy, but hiring illegals? Do the rest of the nation a favor and stay in Hell-ifornia, okay?

Here, if you have a worker that's unlicensed for a trade or working under the table, the fines start at $250.00 and go as high as $1,000.00 per incident.

The violations stay on public record, available on the internet to everyone, for six years.

Op and company, you are an embarrassment to business. Tell you what....if the Op is the superstar of this forum and has the full support of Ridgid, I'll buy General.

Comment

"How to win friends and influence people"
                        The Other Rick

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                          My day laborer when I need one is a plumber getting payed $65 bucks an hour maybe less if the job is big and he has nothing else to do. He is an American or here legally and has his liability insurance.
                          There is some middle ground here. You don't need to pay someone $65/hr to dig a hole, but you also don't want to hire an someone without any liability insurance either.

If the choice boiled down to pay someone $260 to dig a hole, or have some guy who would own my house after getting hurt; spending 4 hours to dig a hole myself seems like a pretty good proposition.

Comment

I'm not sure about other areas but we have places here where you can hire temporary labor for the day and the place pays all of the required fees for Workers Comp and Taxes plus they make sure they are documented.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

we have temp agency's here but not sure you can hire some one for a couple hr it has to be for the day
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X