Too high

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too high

So today this young lady calls up wanting a price to install a vanity + top and faucet. She has everything except small material. Most likely the valves will have to be replaced, along with the P-trap.

She currently has a pedestal lav in it's place, so that needs to be removed.

Dad gave her a minimum price of $240.00 cut and dry/ site unseen, with a max of $300.00 incase wall needs to be open and pipes moved.

She say's "Wow thats really high" but agrees and sets up an appointment.

Dad said "we have not heard the last of her".... Boy was he right!

She calls back a few hours later and says "I'm going to call around for more prices, I'll let you know in a day or 2 if you got the job".

My father said he doesn't care if we are sitting in the house doing absolutely nothing, when she calls back he's going to tell her she waited too long and we are booked solid for the next few weeks.

Re: Too high

Sure feels good don't it.If someone is that far out of whack what do you think she's going to get to do her sink.Are there a lot of capable people working for cheaper than the prices you qouted.Awefull low/fair from what I can tell.

Comment

I honestly can't believe people these days. As of last week I decided.... I have my set prices and I don't care if my prices aren't as low as other peoples'....if you want quality work, call me and pay the price - If not, you go and let the unlicensed hack screw things up for you.
      Ideal Plumbing

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Sure feels good don't it.If someone is that far out of whack what do you think she's going to get to do her sink.Are there a lot of capable people working for cheaper than the prices you qouted.Awefull low/fair from what I can tell.
        I'd say going rate for a powder room vanity hook up is $220.00 - $325.00 in my area. I'm surprised to hear you say that though, cause I thought we were higher out here on the east coast. The other day when you were talking about a slab leak, $650.00 is on the low side for our area, but then again you have to remember we mostly have basements here.

When dad told me the price he quoted..I thought it was more than fair.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
          I honestly can't believe people these days. As of last week I decided.... I have my set prices and I don't care if my prices aren't as low as other peoples'....if you want quality work, call me and pay the price - If not, you go and let the unlicensed hack screw things up for you.
          We have the same mentality.

Quick story...

About 8 years ago, this guy called us up to install and hook up his Kitchen sink. I forget what we charged him back then. but he had a heart attack, and went and showed us an estimate of $40.00 for the entire job.

Dad and I still laugh about it to this day.

Comment

If she was just price shopping and didn't seem unreasonable I would take her call if she called back and do the job. I price shop all the time with some things if I dont have a regular go to guy. Alot of people just want to make sure they have enough money to pay you when your finished.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              If she was just price shopping and didn't seem unreasonable I would take her call if she called back and do the job. I price shop all the time with some things if I dont have a regular go to guy. Alot of people just want to make sure they have enough money to pay you when your finished.
              I agree with you, but this was not one of those type of calls. But to her benefit..atleast she did call back, when she didn't have too. Maybe my father will change his mind if she does.

Comment

Originally posted by idlplumb View Post
                Good work isn't cheap, and cheap work isn't good.

Let them find someone offering to do the job for less, and then cry foul when someone gets hurt, and it turns out the workers aren't insured.

You're always going to run into someone trying to get a deal or ask you to cut corners, it's not worth the headache in the long run. Those are the same clients that can end up nitpicking you to death.
                Baton Rouge Spray Foam Insulation

Comment

Ok..I have a neighbor (tire kicker) .Comes to me with a laundry list of "dream projects" he would like to have done on his house. I refer him to a contractor I have worked with in the past.He works up the prices..Turns out his prices were to high and elected to have a guy he plays softball with do the job..OK no problem..Well the work was completed? his friend was paid , now I'm getting calls to fix things.I already changed a cpvc valve that wouldn't open or close . They ran cpvc right off the gas water heater with no copper stubs right next to the flue piping , The master shower is leaking through the pan..They used a saddle valve for the ice maker off the cpvc line .I don't think they used 1/2 dozen straps on the water piping . They didn't replace the wet loop piping for the shower and lav from galvy to pvc . like he paid them to do. (found that out after looking in the bulkhead after he cut his drywall open to check out the shower leak)Lets see what else..Oh since they did not replace the existing piping that was a 1 1/2 waste arm for the shower they installed a 2 x 1 1/2 reducer right after the 2" p trap to reduce back down to 1 1/2" ..He has already had to snake it..Wonder why..Told him yesterday "Call your guy back that did the work"..He says.." Oh he's probably not even in the country . He does work all up and down the East Coast mostly commercial".

Bottom line most of the time price shopper / tire kickers get their job done cheaper.
                  ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Update...Neighbor stopped by this evening, says his "contractor " agreed to come back and fix the leaking shower pan ...with caulk and grout..Also would not touch any further plumbing as far as changing both bathroom wet loops to pvc.."sorry he said" ..Ha I told him "Let's see how long it takes him to come back and fix your master shower with caulk..I told him your guy is bullshi* and does shi* work..There I said it ..Told him sorry I should not have said that but made me feel better at least... To be honest I don't want to touch anything over there. He did not hire me to do the plumbing so I feel like telling himcheap bastard..Still might

Comment

What is "Wet Loop Piping?"

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks the customer must be High! when they think were too high?
                        Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-16-2011, 08:18 PM.
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

It's what we refer to as a wet vented bathroom group.The 2" branch off the toilet line serving the tub that is being "wet vented" by the lavy..I was thinking about moving this thread..Glad someone made it down here finally..

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                            Am I the only one that thinks the customer must be High! when they think were too high?
                            No. I think that way also..He wanted me to do the plumbing ..But his "contractor" had his own guy...I told him "good luck" no hard feelings as we are neighbors and I try and stay civil with them..Bottom line is he still thinks he's ahead of the game right now even though he has to pay for repairs ..Some peoples logic kills me

Comment

Personally I don't like working for neighbors they expect too much for so little. Also they can be a PITA
                              Rod
                              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                              http://unclognh.com
                              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                              X