Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r.i.p. not smart use some sense on the job!

im an electrician in south florida well there is alot of work most the time aand companys get these guys from labor pools not always good idea well i was in a high rise one job and a laborer was hired by the g.c. doing clean up not hard work but work so he is picking up and cleaning up from area to area when he comes across a piece of plywood on the floor never mind the block of wood nailed next to it holding it down he proceed to get the block holding wood down off and standing in front of the sheet bends down grabs wood sheet and raise's it up and toward his head as he picked it up and startd to walk forward he FELL THRU THE HOLE THE BOARD WAS COVERING 5 TO 6 FLOORS DOWN sad to say he did not make it .. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT U DO ON SITE IT MAY COST U YOUR LIFE.....
    osha locked site down 3 days

Re: r.i.p. not smart use some sense on the job!

what did osha have to say? was the board brightly painted red or caution? not sure if that is all that's required we had an identical thing happen around 5 years ago on a similar job as you described with the same end results.

unfortunately the ones covering the holes know what they're for.

very sad when it happens at a job site you're working at.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Just think,if anybody was worried about doing a very good job and became distracted,something similar could happen to them.

Comment

I have been running work since I was 17 & no matter how much instruction or how much you watch someone some people always find a way to get hurt. I give my employees a safety bonus if no one in the company has a time loss accident in a year. That way everybody is watching out for everyone else. I've had no time loss accidents in 3 years with 48 employees. Just as soon as you make it idiot proof they come up with a better idiot.

Comment

Are you saying there was a hole on each floor for all 5 floors? If so then they all should have been covered.
          And regardless of where the employee came from...day laborer or what have you. He should have been given instruction covering site safety rules and alerted to the hazards on that partcular job, at least by the OSHA STD and that is what they will hold them to if they are going to play tough and they might in this case since there was a death.

Opening in floors have to be covered with a cover rated for at least twice the anticipated load AND must be secured to the floor so someone can not just pick them up and walk off with them and they must also be clearly marked with the words "HOLE" or "COVER" or words to that affect IIRC.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The poor guys family is gonna sue BIG TIME !
            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was on a job site Wednesday and a GC was giving a safety speech to all the contractors, he walked right off the scaffold he was standing on. Didn't kill him but broke one leg and one arm.
              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                ..................he walked right off the scaffold he was standing on. Didn't kill him but...........
                I almost would have paid money to see that, especially if it was some of the people I have worked for...

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                Just as soon as you make it idiot proof they come up with a better idiot.
                Agreed..

I pulled an idiot move at my house this Wednesday. I was in my shed trying to get something out of a crate on the top shelf. I did not want to take the box down, and was too lazy to walk 50' to get a ladder. I resorted to standing on the rim of an almost empty 5 gallon bucket, reaching into the box, finding what I needed by feel, took said item out taking a single gang electrical box with it. Murphy's law struck, the box fell, I went to get down, bucked kicked out from under me (no surprise there) and I fell (landing feet first) 18" or so, landing right on the box sitting with the rusty nails pointing up. A visit to the county health clinic for my $10 TDAP shot, 3 days of limping, sore foot, sore leg, spine out of alignment from walking different...... :shaking:
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

evolution
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

And you guys think you have patents on idiots. Safety is for everyone.
                    Got two good ones to add about safety. 1) mate tells me he is called to a block of flats re a gas smell. Gets the sniffer out and it goes off scale. Looks around and traces back to MAIN road and especially stormwater drains. Calls the emergency gas leak line. They take details and say thanks. Rings back to find out how long. Phone olympics(running around in circles) finally gets told unit response is ABOUT two hours away. Potential major incident(he is a professional not an idiot) decided to hand-ball to FireBrigade. Guess what, firemen dont have gas detectors. Anyhow they see reality and blast contractor. What this story tells us is that over here there is a great lack of attention to listening to those who know. Yes it would have been good to see an explosion but there would be no guarantees that there would have been no casualties. It would have highlighted the fact that there are many placed in positions of power who really shouldnt be there. OHS on their part, not in this instance. 2) Contractor goes into shop to find 5 overhead tube heaters running. Feels a bit sick so he starts to investigate. All heaters are discharging flue gases inside. CO level in excess of 175ppm. Asks manager about heaters. Tells him staff been away sick for a couple of days with headaches and more. Tells manager about heaters, doesnt really understand and believe doesnt want to "rock the boat" as he has only been manager for 1 week. Contractor tries to contact Gas Regulator, what a joke this is. Nobody wants to know. This tells us that there are supposed "tradesmen"out there doing work that can kill without knowing. It also tells us that the OHS is flawed because fear of unemployment for raising an issue outweighs common sense and education.
                    WE are seeing this happen regularly over here. Like before we educate and reinforce the need for thinking before doing, safety safety safety all the way but we just cant escape the other fear factors. Over here we are held responsible even when we are nowhere close. They always say we should have educated the employees better.
                    OHS can be a pit full of snakes. I would rather get fired for saving people than go face the Coroner and someones family with a BS excuse and meaningless sorry. Unfortunately in todays society we are too quick to turn a blind eye all for the HOLY DOLLAR. I hope I can still be around in another 50 years reading this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                      I was on a job site Wednesday and a GC was giving a safety speech to all the contractors, he walked right off the scaffold he was standing on. Didn't kill him but broke one leg and one arm.
                      How come everyone else sees the good stuff? And surely someone was filming this? Not everyone pays attention to safety, obviously...

And the board covering the hole, I would hate to think someone laid it down to cover the hole, and didn't at least mark it with hole, or something, or whatever. THAT is the real idiot.

Comment

years ago in iraq on a marine base we are all called up to a huttle. The higher ups are telling us the importance of checking our weapons to make sure they are unloaded when we return from outside of base like on convoys. The reason they called us in is because a officer was giving a speech on how important it was to make sure our weapons were unloaded. During his speech he said that his weapon was always unloaded for safety when on base.He then went to demonstrate that when he pulls back the trigger the pistol in his hand will dry fire due to no round in the chamber. The weapon fired a round which instantly shot a private in the forehead.The Army officer was then sent to the brig

Comment

Good thread and important topic. I think we need to take responsibility for our own safety, and consider how our actions will affect others down the road. I have come to the conclusion that most folks benefit from being taught the right way, and given safety instructions from time to time, BUT, I have met some guys who have no business near power tools, machines,etc! For whatever reason, the instructions don't sink in and they remain a danger to themselves, coworkers and the general public. Not everyone is cutout for every kind of job.

I had the pleasure of instructing a lot of guys on how to operate different telephone construction rigs, frame trucks, aerial buckets, rodding trucks, reel carriers, etc. Most guys pick it up after a while but there are some who never do. I worked with one guy for over a month, one day I would demonstrate putting down the stabilizer legs before raising the aerial boom, the next day I would walk him through a step at a time. Well, after five or six weeks I told him to have at it and I would just keep quiet, the first thing he did was raise the boom and almost tip the truck on it's side! Then we had the guys who would walk into traffic, fall down open manholes, just oblivious to their surroundings. God Bless'em and keep them and us safe!
                          Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-07-2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

i know what you mean cleanmen2
                            we see this all the time in industry (production bonuses ruling the decisions)
                            the lack of accountability make you want to puke
                            and it not surprising how little people know of their rights to a safe work space.
                            and its appalling how few care!
                            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X