Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
i saved 2 lives before noon today Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i saved 2 lives before noon today

    went to a brand new customer today to fix a couple toilets and some washing machine valves. little did i know saving lives was part of the call too

    as i walked by the upstairs hallway closet, next to the bedrooms, i checked the gas water heater. that's when i found the vent was laying on the ground. showed it to the owners and they didn't know how long it's been like that. but based on the tape joint, the vent pipe was never inserted properly. we are required to screw the sections of single wall together with 3 screws per joint. tape is not approved.

    replaced the vent fittings and properly screwed them together. owners were very pleased and i felt good upon stumbling across the heater.

    rick.



    heater as i found it. was installed feb/2005.





    draft diverter and vent connectors sitting on floor of cabinet. notice the tape and short insert depth.



    new vent connectors and screwed together with 3 screws per joint.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 07-22-2011, 02:19 AM.
    phoebe it is

  • #2
    Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

    Way to go Rick.

    That's the kind of attentiveness and service that wins
    you a longtime customer and saves lives to boot!!




    Now if we knew who the SOB was who did the install and get his license
    pulled (if they even have one), more lives would be saved.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

      Good job but I doubt anyone would die but you are in Cali so its possible. I would have replaced that vent with double wall. Single wall vent has a tendency to stop up in the 90's....and theres two on that heater. If the vent cloggs the trd will trip. The closet probably had a natural draft out the top with the vent missing so unless the a.c was running most of the flue gas was venting anyway.

      If everything was working properly with the heater and plumbing there was not a life threatning situation......probably would have allergy type issues or headaches at the most.

      Actually a stove burns more gas and they are not vented at all but stoves are not automatic. I have went into homes were the customer is using the stove to heat the house for days.....stoves are not vented.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

        I hope that closet is ventilated because if its not the water heater will not have enough combustion air. We are required to run the relief line to the outside unless the pan has a 1.5" drain.

        Wheres the expansion tank? not required?

        The height from the top of the heater to the ceiling looks to be very close or under the 18" minimum required.
        Last edited by TheMaster; 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

          single wall vent is all that's required in the open air space with 6'' clearance.

          never ever seen a 90 clog. what does single or double wall have to do with a 90 clogging anyways

          the closet is required to be vented upper and lower foot. but the upper ceiling vent was pretty clogged with lint/ dust on the mesh.

          this complex is a 1969 building. t and p valves were not even required on the heaters back then. being an upper floor install, the valves terminate into the pan. the pan terminate onto the garage floor. of course that's not allowed by todays standards, but it's the best they can do since a watts 210 valve is not legal out here anymore.

          a cook top is an unvented appliance. some have vent hoods, most don't.

          but a water heater is required to be vented.

          rick.
          phoebe it is

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            single wall vent is all that's required in the open air space with 6'' clearance.

            never ever seen a 90 clog. what does single or double wall have to do with a 90 clogging anyways

            the closet is required to be vented upper and lower foot. but the upper ceiling vent was pretty clogged with lint/ dust on the mesh.

            this complex is a 1969 building. t and p valves were not even required on the heaters back then. being an upper floor install, the valves terminate into the pan. the pan terminate onto the garage floor. of course that's not allowed by todays standards, but it's the best they can do since a watts 210 valve is not legal out here anymore.

            a cook top is an unvented appliance. some have vent hoods, most don't.

            but a water heater is required to be vented.

            rick.
            Whats the difference between double and single wall??? Are you kidding me? The double wall has an aluminum pipe for the inner pipe. Aluminum doesn't rust. With 90's in the vent the rust will collect at the 90's. I've seen it hundreds of times. If it happens on that heater the trd is toast.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

              Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
              Whats the difference between double and single wall??? Are you kidding me? The double wall has an aluminum pipe for the inner pipe. Aluminum doesn't rust. With 90's in the vent the rust will collect at the 90's. I've seen it hundreds of times. If it happens on that heater the trd is toast.
              you might have bad gas and more condensation than us. but out of the thousands and thousands of heaters i've installed and maintain, i've never had a vent 90 plug up with rust. surface rust yes, but nothing to stop the heater from venting.

              things are much different out here. i've seen <1% of heaters in the open air space/ between the draft diverter and ceiling bucket connected with type b vent connectors. it's expensive and it's not universal between the brands. most of all, it's not required or necessary out here.

              rick.
              phoebe it is

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                I've never used double wall piping on a water heater before.

                Here expansion tanks are not required.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  you might have bad gas and more condensation than us. but out of the thousands and thousands of heaters i've installed and maintain, i've never had a vent 90 plug up with rust. surface rust yes, but nothing to stop the heater from venting.

                  things are much different out here. i've seen <1% of heaters in the open air space/ between the draft diverter and ceiling bucket connected with type b vent connectors. it's expensive and it's not universal between the brands. most of all, it's not required or necessary out here.

                  rick.
                  Why do you think double wall vent is made with the inner pipe being aluminum? Adpaters are sold to convert from one brand to another. Our gas is not bad(thats grasping lol) but its possible we do have more condensation because of our high humidity. When flue gas condensates the condensate produced is corrosive. This corrosive condensate is what eats the pipe up. Depending on how much single wall is installed would determine the amount of rust aka corrosion. This will flake off the pipe and fall onto the burner if the vent pipe is straight but if the vent has 90's installed,it can collect in the 90's and clogg the vent.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                    It is the high humidity in Fl.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                      Combination of humidity and a tendency to have an oversized flue.
                      If the gas cools too rapidly it condenses in the flue. Here they like to see double wall all the way down to the fixture, though they'll accept single wall for the first 18 inches. they claim the double wall doesn't lose the heat as quickly and keeps the gasses hot all the way out.

                      I'm not an engineer.
                      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                        I have NEVER seen 3 or 4 inch pipe completely fill with rust to the point of clogging up. That is grasping. And has nothing to do with why we use double wall.

                        But, back on topic. You said they don't allot you guys to use tape Rick? That looked like remnants of duck tape. Do they allow you to use foil tape? Here they don't make us screw the pipe, but they do make us screw the pipe to the diffuser. I call the thing on top of the water heater you sit the vent on the diffuser, not sure if that is right or not. They do make us push the tabs in though.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                          at 1 point the foil tape was acceptable, but remember we have the shakes and i'm not referring to my milk shake

                          so the screws are there to prevent it from coming apart. 3 per joint.

                          the diffuser you're referring to is called a draft diverter

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            at 1 point the foil tape was acceptable, but remember we have the shakes and i'm not referring to my milk shake

                            so the screws are there to prevent it from coming apart. 3 per joint.

                            the diffuser you're referring to is called a draft diverter

                            rick.
                            Same here.


                            J.C.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: i saved 2 lives before noon today

                              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              at 1 point the foil tape was acceptable, but remember we have the shakes and i'm not referring to my milk shake

                              so the screws are there to prevent it from coming apart. 3 per joint.

                              the diffuser you're referring to is called a draft diverter

                              rick.
                              That is a pretty damn good looking milkshake.

                              And I wouldn't have ever thought for foil tape to hold pipe together, just help seal in the bad.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X