X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishonest customer

8 months ago I installed a gas line for a fire place. The company who installed the fireplace, stubbed a piece of gastite down in the basement for me to hook up, and I took it from there.

After installing the gasline, I went back upstairs while the fire place company made the hook-up underneath the fire place, as there was 4 of us there plus the homeowner.

Today the customer calls back and says there is a gas leak under the fire place, and the fire place company said it was my problem not theirs.

I pushed another service call aside, and met the customer at his home. Went to the fireplace as the cover was already off, and took my leak detector out and found the problem. The homeowner said " You hooked this gas line up"... I stopped him right there, and reminded him that he contracted me out to hook up to the line in the basement that was "stubbed" down from the fire place company. I said.."This valve under the fireplace isn't my valve as I don't use that style. You can go down to the basement and see the style of gas valves I use. Plus, you were standing right here, when I was sitting on the floor by your kitchen when this fire place company was making the hook up underneath, so it would be quite impossible for me to literally hook the line up from way over there". He tried one more time to make his baseless point, and I stopped him in his tracks.

I was very "stern" with him and he didn't like my answers at all, and I didn't care.

I told the customer before I fixed the leak, that the gastite had a bad cut, and it wasn't seating right. Sure enough, when I took the nut off...you could clearly see where the end was smashed and jagged. I turned and told the customer.."I made this mistake once when gastite first came out, and that's how I knew what the problem was before I even took it apart, and I never made that mistake again".

I cut it out...gave him the bad piece, re-installed, and asked him "Now who's paying for this service call you or the fireplace company?"

He cut a check and out the door I went...as I'm sure he's going to fight with the fireplace company now over this.

I learned a lesson from this.

The next time the customer will sign off when I hook up a gas line some other company stubs down through the floor, as I don't need to get into a "point drill" of who done it.

If I was a dishonest contractor, I would of never return his call for service as I was already paid for the job. Honesty is the reason why my fathers company has been around for 40 years.

Rant over!
    Last edited by Flux; 08-20-2011, 02:14 AM.

Re: Dishonest customer

flux, not sure how you write up your bills, but mine would specify exactly where my connection/ scope of work included and what it didn't.

pretty simple to put it in writing on the invoice and the computer saves it.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      flux, not sure how you write up your bills, but mine would specify exactly where my connection/ scope of work included and what it didn't.

pretty simple to put it in writing on the invoice and the computer saves it.

rick.
      Dad still hand writes them...lol. I can't get it through his head to get out of the 1980's and into 2011 and let me put this stuff on the computer. But what I'm I gonna do, he's 65 years old and trying to teach him computers is a losing battle for me. I told him I would take it over, and well...if you never been around Italian fathers, let me explain his answer in simple terms...NO. lol. But he normally "spells" out everything we do on his invoices, but we dropped the ball on this one.

I'm waiting on the new ipad..and I want to get some of these things on a computer. I got lots of work to do on this.

Comment

After you connected to their gas line did you test the system? Sounds like your doing things just fine on paper by writing out invoices,even with a computer if you dont enter the information your no better off than writing it on paper. If a mistake was made it was connecting to a gas line the fireplace installers installed without checking their connections and installation.

Comment

Did the guy that installed the fireplace have a licence to install gas piping?
          sigpic

Comment

I don't know how to multi quote but..

Fireplace company tested their end with a leak detector (we were there), and at the time we didn't have a leak detector and used a soapy solution for our end. After this one, we run the entire gas line, or we don't want the job.

Anything goes in this state, so I'm not sure if they were licensed or not.

Comment

Working...
            X