X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Architect/ Designer

We got the job for this new Kitchen renovation on the mainline (very rich area) and this lady who is the Architect/ Designer (or whatever her title is) was there as well representing the homeowner.

Now this area is very strict and we talked to the Plumber inspector to ask a few questions, because it's been years since we have worked in this area. The rule of thumb use to be..it the drain lines were copper, it stayed copper through the renovation.

Well, one of the things we have to move is the Kitchen stack over a few bays, because there is a HUGE window going where the old Kitchen sink was. There is only 1 way to do this, as there is steel in the ceiling and king studs for the new window.

So my father said to this lady (Architect/ Designer) " We have to move this stack and re-route it here" (him pointing to the bay)

This goofy lady said.." and WHO made that decision?"

My father shot back.."The person who has final say on it...the Plumbing Inspector".

The look on this ladies face was priceless!! She didn't like the answer at all, and my father kept giving her answers she didn't like through the whole conversation because of the attitude she was giving us and the Electrician. God I wish I had a video camera today for this episode..lol.

Here is what I want to know...wtf does she know about Plumbing or the Plumbing code? This lady was hired from somewhere in New York, and she is staying in the area for this project.

Re: Architect/ Designer

Originally posted by Flux View Post
    Here is what I want to know...wtf does she know about Plumbing or the Plumbing code? This lady was hired from somewhere in New York, and she is staying in the area for this project.
    Depends if she is an Architect or a designer. I found that most licensed and experienced architects are quite knowledgeable of the mechanical trades, especially after they have been schooled a few times on the job. They seem to be quick learners, when it comes to errors and omissions. The ones I speak of are those who have learned by experience that just because they can draw something on paper doesn't mean it going to fit there. Usually an architects plans include all the plumbing, mechanical, and electrical schematics, isometrics, fixture schedules etc. Most importantly their plans, in their entirety have been STAMPED by the architect and/or mechanical engineer, and approved by the local authority.

Designers on the other hand are a different breed altogether. Many I've met have a 2 year certificate from a Junior College that states they have passed the course in my s--t don't stink. They, like a draftsman/woman can draw a floor plan, and elevations to scale (sort of). They then gather swatches of fabric,flooring, paint samples, and wall coverings and glue them to a piece of white card board and tell the homeowner that when she's done with her home it will be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens.

Based on how you described her, I'm betting she's a designer. A surefire tell is if you refer to her as a decorator. Stand back when you do though. They seem to be really sensitive about that. (FYI in design parlance, a decorator is a lowly tradesman/woman, the noble painter)

You mentioned that she was representing the owners. I'd want to know upfront if this designer has the authority from the owner to make changes in the field.
    The ones I've come across just love to make changes, especially after you've already done the work according to the plans. One last thing. The words, "can you do me a favor", really mean, "I want you to do all this extra work for FREE".

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ArizonaPlumber View Post
      Depends if she is an Architect or a designer. I found that most licensed and experienced architects are quite knowledgeable of the mechanical trades, especially after they have been schooled a few times on the job. They seem to be quick learners, when it comes to errors and omissions. The ones I speak of are those who have learned by experience that just because they can draw something on paper doesn't mean it going to fit there. Usually an architects plans include all the plumbing, mechanical, and electrical schematics, isometrics, fixture schedules etc. Most importantly their plans, in their entirety have been STAMPED by the architect and/or mechanical engineer, and approved by the local authority.

Designers on the other hand are a different breed altogether. Many I've met have a 2 year certificate from a Junior College that states they have passed the course in my s--t don't stink. They, like a draftsman/woman can draw a floor plan, and elevations to scale (sort of). They then gather swatches of fabric,flooring, paint samples, and wall coverings and glue them to a piece of white card board and tell the homeowner that when she's done with her home it will be on the cover of Better Homes and Gardens.

Based on how you described her, I'm betting she's a designer. A surefire tell is if you refer to her as a decorator. Stand back when you do though. They seem to be really sensitive about that. (FYI in design parlance, a decorator is a lowly tradesman/woman, the noble painter)

You mentioned that she was representing the owners. I'd want to know upfront if this designer has the authority from the owner to make changes in the field.
      The ones I've come across just love to make changes, especially after you've already done the work according to the plans. One last thing. The words, "can you do me a favor", really mean, "I want you to do all this extra work for FREE".

Good luck.
      I have no idea what her title is exactly, but she clearly doesn't know Plumbing to make a stupid statement like she did today. The Kitchen stack HAS to be moved regardless and there is only 1 legal way to do it, but she wanted to have input on it. This stack is on an outside wall...like wtf does that have to do with anything that she's doing? These cabinets are not being recessed in the wall or anything, and only dry wall and cabinets are going up where the stack will be. I think she just wanted to flex her designer muscles today.

If she is an architect, then she should be embarrassed to make a statement like that, because any knowledgeable person on Plumbing code would realize in 2.9 seconds that there is only 1 way to run this stack.

I'm also going to assume she has full authority to make changes on design, because the homeowners came home before we left, and they had no interest in what was going on with our little meeting we had today.

"Can you do me favor" means absolutely nothing to me, as it goes through one ear and out the other. We charge extra regardless of incompetence or changing of the mind when it comes to Plumbing changes.

Btw, I had to pull the toilet in the powder room, because they are getting new hardwood installed. I happen to look in the sink, and there were decorative stones laying in there...wtf? lol I couldn't see the drain at all...is this the new fad now?

But this place I'm working at is pretty fancy...little streams running through the property, private tennis court, stone walkways everywhere including HUGE stone private patio away from house for entertaining purposes.
      Last edited by Flux; 10-06-2011, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post

Btw, I had to pull the toilet in the powder room, because they are getting new hardwood installed. I happen to look in the sink, and there were decorative stones laying in there...wtf? lol I couldn't see the drain at all...is this the new fad now?

But this place I'm working at is pretty fancy...little streams running through the property, private tennis court, stone walkways everywhere including HUGE stone private patio away from house for entertaining purposes.
        I'd be breaking out my tin foil hat for this one. Me thinks you're dealing with a Feng Shui designer.

Comment

FLUX N DAD PALEESE LISTEN TO ME. Go to the homeowner and stress You have contracted with them only! You will not be directed ,in any way by their agent,that has no plumbing knowledge. That has been proven! I was in Your position 4 Years ago ,and it cost Me big time! only it was a a very SWEET GUY DESIGNER. Nip it in the bud,Bud. Don't lose control!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            FLUX N DAD PALEESE LISTEN TO ME. Go to the homeowner and stress You have contracted with them only! You will not be directed ,in any way by their agent,that has no plumbing knowledge. That has been proven! I was in Your position 4 Years ago ,and it cost Me big time! only it was a a very SWEET GUY DESIGNER. Nip it in the bud,Bud. Don't lose control!
            Tool, we were contracted by both the custom builder that's on this job, and have known for many years, and the homeowner. Our price was accepted by the homeowner, but that's about as far as they are getting involved. They are leaving everything else to this ding bat.

If there is something we don't like about this job, they can pay us for what we did, and they can find someone else to put up with the nonsense. We won't tolerate too much silliness from this designer, and if she wishes to be a pain in the butt, we will go to the township and have the permit revoked that's under our name, and we all go our separate ways. I only did 2 things so far, and that's cap off the kitchen sink lines and pull a toilet.

Our job is pretty much cut and dry....

- Move the kitchen stack

- Run a gas line to the commercial range

- Re-route the water lines for the kitchen sink

- Run a water line to a subzero.

- install kitchen faucet, disposer, dishwasher

- re-install powder room toilet

that's it brother...not much going on for our side of things.

Comment

seen the rocks in the sink a few times here. Blame it on them decorater themed make your house look artsy with 10 bucks shows

Comment

Working...
              X