X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaks

We installed an Oil fired Boiler 8 months ago, and over the last 2 months we have fixed 4 out of 5 leaks that were my fault. The first leak was a bad casted black fitting that was seeping through the fitting itself. The other 4 leaks were all threaded joints, and I NEVER in my career ever had a threaded joint leak on a boiler before.

The latest leak happened last night, and it burnt out the low water cutoff and shut the boiler down. Needless to say, Pop wasn't happy with me last night or this morning. Pop had to run over there last night to by pass the wiring on LWCO to fire off the boiler again till morning.

Now my cousin and best friend (both self employed and in the trade) both use teflon and dope...but I never really did in my career except on old steam mains. (thinking about changing my philosophy on that)

I'm just having one of those experiences in where it's going to haunt me for a long time. If anything, I'm more embarrassed in front of the customer, because it makes us look bad. She told my father last night that she "thinks" she has a "lemon boiler" and my father said "No, it's not the boiler it's us".

The one good thing about this is..her son graduated with my sister and I've known this guy for a long time. Plus he runs the ware house at our local ferguson, so I gave him back his mothers bad cast fitting.

The only thing I can think I did wrong was...I remember for this job that I had a brand new can of rectorseal. I don't think I mixed it up enough before I started using it. I never in my life had to drain down a system 5 times after installing it.

I've been on a "leak" run lately, and I have to snap out of it. (it happens to all of us). So far I have cost us 5 hours in labor and 1 LWCO.

I'm thinking about changing our name from Plumbing & Heating to Sprinkler company!
    Last edited by Flux; 12-09-2011, 10:07 PM.

Re: Leaks

easy now

Comment

Flux, it happens. Due to stupid mistakes, lack of scheduling correctly, cold weather etc, I get in that mood sometimes of wanting to quit and find a different career, I'll admit I'm in that damn boat right now and sick of bailing water, but I know it will pass, it always does.

Comment

Flux, I had the same issue on gas after 1 year using rectorseal. Can't explain it. 3/4" gal pipe outdoor at the gal to aluminum seismic shut off valves.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I've been using True Blue for years, and have never had an issue. Which Rectum seal are you using.

Comment

I'm using rectorseal #5 slow dry / soft set, been using it since my dad brought me in the trade.

You know what else I notice? If you solder near a threaded joint, you have the potential of cooking out the pipe dope and causing yourself a leak that way. That seems to happen sometimes on shower valves for me, when the customer gets a valve that's threaded instead of copper sweat.

Every time I open up a new can of Rectorseal it's too thin and liquidy.

Arizona, I never seen "true blue" before in ANY of our supply houses. It's always the Rectorseal I stated above.

Comment

Flux, I buy a can of rectorseal weeks before I need it, and just leave the cap off until it's time to start using it. Love the stuff when it's the right consistency, but a new can sucks.

Also, I used to make a habit of dope and taping, but not anymore, metal gets rectorseal "i've switched to the rectorseal +T which is white. plastic threads get teflon tape, a combination of the two gets teflon tape.
              As for the soldering problem, I either use tape on the fittings, or solder up as much as I can before I thread the fittings in.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Your good.
                The materials and tools we are being sold is JUNK.I got a $400.00 tool from a company that's been around since before WWII F***ing cord is is a rude joke.
                People want cheap
                Labor is cheap

Tape first then dope.

Comment

This is my rule of thumb:

if two new threads of same material are being joined then I just use pipe dope
                  if two new threads of different materials are being joined then teflon tape
                  if two threads of different age then teflon tape and pipe dope

Flux I had the same thing happen last year with 3 new boiler installs. One bad can of pipe dope can cost thousands of dollars.. No leaks until a month or two after installation. Multiple trips back and forth. Fix one leak and another would start a week later. Really pissed me off. It really projects a negative image from the customer about your product and services. That's tough to recover from sometimes. Lost one of those customers to a competitor and another openly regret buying the boilers but still use our services.

Comment

The specs are changing cause manufactures are going with cheaper and cheaper overseas production.
                    They may have a good batch one month then another so jacked up the next.
                    I can feel it in the threaded joints during assembly.
                    more work to train an apprentice.

You can always tell a Ward fitting with a well made nipple.Hardly able to bury past designed taper with designed pipe wrench.
                    I can bury a asian import with a pair of channel locks.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      You can always tell a Ward fitting with a well made nipple.Hardly able to bury past designed taper with designed pipe wrench.
                      I can bury a asian import with a pair of channel locks.

I can get a box of say 1" threaded 90's and seems like every 90 in the box has a different thread, hard to set your dies right for foreign fittings, buy domestic if possible, at least they are a little more consistent.

OHHHHHHH the tape and dope theory......makes my head hurt................

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                        Flux I had the same thing happen last year with 3 new boiler installs. One bad can of pipe dope can cost thousands of dollars.. No leaks until a month or two after installation. Multiple trips back and forth. Fix one leak and another would start a week later. Really pissed me off. It really projects a negative image from the customer about your product and services. That's tough to recover from sometimes. Lost one of those customers to a competitor and another openly regret buying the boilers but still use our services.
                        We installed a Columbia summer/winter hook up (STEEL) on this job, and we feel as though Columbia makes the BEST steel boilers on the market. Not many other manufactures make them, so this boiler is literally built like a tank. When this lady insinuated to my father that this boiler "might" be a Lemon, it fired me up inside. Columbia doesn't play around when it comes to a warranty on their boilers, and PLUS our head salesman for Columbia lives right across the street from this lady.

Obviously I'm not going to walk away from a job if something is leaking. It took 6 months for the bad casted fitting to leak, then over the last 2 months more leaks have shown up on the threaded side of things.

I'm gonna start using teflon with dope from here on out. I'm not going through this again.

It's embarrassing to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
                          I can get a box of say 1" threaded 90's and seems like every 90 in the box has a different thread, hard to set your dies right for foreign fittings, buy domestic if possible, at least they are a little more consistent.

OHHHHHHH the tape and dope theory......makes my head hurt................
                          Sorry,I just don't have ANY leaks on steel.
                          I can't get out of the habit.
                          Dope only used to leak.Tape only used to leak.Extremely frequent,leaks still.

Comment

I dont usually have leaks on black steel .I only use teflon pipe dope.I used blu blocker pipe dope in the past and had great results with that as well. As far as the rector seal , I hate it because it gums everything up but the teflon pipe dope just wipes right off.Different material tape then dope .Copper adapters tape then dope .Pretty much the same with other materials. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Like someone told me once. Show me a plumber that never has a leak and I'll show you a plumber that doesn't do a fuc*in thing.
                            ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I got taught over thirty years ago a very simple rule. TAPE - THEN - DOPE:.

I personally have never had a threaded joint leak in my life, (Knocking of my wooden head as I post that)

When I started this company back in the early 90's I made that a rule across the board, and we have yet to have a leak on any joint taped and doped.

Now, don't get me wrong we have had some leaks for other reason, and some duzzies to that. Like the time I pressurized a 3" line to check a ProPress piping job and a rubber seal on a Signet Paddle Wheel flow meter blew out of the saddle clamp. A two inch hole at 160 psi can blow a lot of water out of it in a minute or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X