X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are Welders

I hired 2 young ( 19 & 20) laborers a month ago to tack weld rebar cages. They had no experience in welding, so I had my welder train them. We could train a monkey to tack weld. All their rebar is pre-cut for them & we built them a jig to set the rebar on. This week they came to me & said "that they were now welders & they should be paid more". Instead of trying to tell them all the reasons why they are not even close to being a welder. I told them we will have a contest just to see how good they are. I told them what we would do is I would race them to see who could weld a cage the fastest & it would have to pass a drop test. I know they were thinking that I'm just a old guy who sits in a office & only comes out in the plant to stretch my legs & they would tear me up. I had my welder ( who loves a good joke) replace their 6011 1/8 rods with 7018 5/32 rods & turn their heat down . Their rods kept sticking & they could see that I was smoking them & they were really choking under the pressure . I finished 15 min. ahead of them & when we did the drop test my cage stayed together & theirs fell apart . They said they did not know what happen & they never had this much trouble welding a cage. When my welder told them what I did They said I cheated. I told them if they were welders they would have known what I did. I told them they have a lot to learn & as they progress so will their pay & if they ever doubt my ability to judge their skills they could go somewhere else. By the way I'm not a welder, but I can stick 2 pcs. of metal together.

Re: We are Welders

Fudd ,I,m a cert. welder of many Years. Rebar is not to BE WELDED,unless You do Cad. ,and You need Cad. Papers.Maybe This isn't a structural app. !
    I am doing an Equake moment frame at the shop.Sons good friend is a painter. Work is slow for Him,so I hired Him do paint all the steel ,red lead. I'm drilling holes in a piece of iron with My Mag. drill. I turned on the Elec. Mag and told Him to move it down to the next soapstone X mark.My Son and I walked away to watch Squire struggle with the NOW 2000 Lb. drill ! Of course I snapped a Picture with My smart phone. FUDD, You're a good Guy, I would Have sent these Lads down the road "Talking to Their lunchboxes !"
    Last edited by toolaholic; 01-14-2012, 10:47 AM.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

One of my father's employees back in the day when we did new construction, started telling my dad he wanted more money. Now my father always gave good raises and bonuses throughout the year, and in 1990 this guy was making $14.00 an hr + all the over-time he wanted. So my father said to him..."the next house you're roughing in all by yourself, and If I see one mistake, no raise". When the guy was done, my father walked in the house and spotted a mistake right away regarding a vent stack and picking up another fixture.

Needless to say the guy wasn't happy about it in the end. What he should of took from this was a life lesson, instead of looking at the bottom line dollar.

So after that all of a sudden he was taking 1 full day to do gas lines in a house, and my father said "you should be able to do 2 houses in a day". The guy said to my dad..."it's impossible to do". So my dad said.."The next 2 houses that are ready, I'm going to do one and you do the other". So the day arrived and my dad sat in his truck until 8am, while the other guy already started. At 8am my father got out of the truck and started bringing his stuff in and started to work. My father was done at 11:30am and the other guy didn't get done until 1pm. Back then working hours were from 8am till 4:30pm.

The guy eventually left my father because he "thought" he was worth more money, and in the end he ended up stealing a lot of material off my father. He was a pretty good Plumber, but today he's a maintenance man in a Philly Prison. He only lasted 5 years in business for himself...I wonder why.

Comment

Tool I know you are the welding man, but stick welding rebar cages is allowed under AWS D1.4 & ACI 318. We are using A706 rebar & only tacking them. We normally tie our cages, but for this project we are tacking them. Because tacking is faster & stronger. We have (20) 2' x 2' x 2' forms we have to double cast everyday, so we need to pre-assemble the cages. If the cages were tied they would flop all around & some pcs. would fall off taking them from the assembly station to the forms. The project engineer also signed off on stick welding the cages. The boxes are design to withstand a 727 landing nose 1st on them. I told the engineer if a 727 lands nose 1st on one of them you have a lot more to worry about then that box failling.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
          Fudd ,I,m a cert. welder of many Years. Rebar is not to BE WELDED,unless You do Cad. ,and You need Cad. Papers.Maybe This isn't a structural app. !
          I am doing an Equake moment frame at the shop.Sons good friend is a painter. Work is slow for Him,so I hired Him do paint all the steel ,red lead. I'm drilling holes in a piece of iron with My Mag. drill. I turned on the Elec. Mag and told Him to move it down to the next soapstone X mark.My Son and I walked away to watch Squire struggle with the NOW 2000 Lb. drill ! Of course I snapped a Picture with My smart phone. FUDD, You're a good Guy, I would Have sent these Lads down the road "Talking to Their lunchboxes !"

Sorry to break your bubble Tool but there are grades of rebar that are designed to be welded. Maybe you never run across it in the work you have done but its out there and has been for many years. Cad-welding is used for electrical bonding of rebar not structural connection of bars. The Mag-drill trick has caught many an apprentice, even me once many years ago right after I got back with a bucket of steam.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Sorry to break your bubble Tool but there are grades of rebar that are designed to be welded. Maybe you never run across it in the work you have done but its out there and has been for many years. Cad-welding is used for electrical bonding of rebar not structural connection of bars. The Mag-drill trick has caught many an apprentice, even me once many years ago right after I got back with a bucket of steam.
            This was on Hi Risers in S.F. 1980s .Keep in Mind We are in a serious sismic zone. The Union iron workers Cad welded the big vert. sticks on re bar. Absolutely no welding on re bar!
            No heat n bend either! I did take a course in Metallergy.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You should take a course on spelling and grammar now.

Comment

Originally posted by dlarrivee View Post
                You should take a course on spelling and grammar now.
                Nice to know We have a MISS MANNERS ON BOARD.

Comment

Amazing how employees always seem to know more than the "Master". Mind you I am happy for them to take the reigns as long as they hold the warranty over their workmanship for the 6yrs we have to give. Amazing how when the Unions get involved in Enterprise Bargaining Agreements we never manage to get PRODUCTIVITY increases in return for more bucks. just amazing why we get out of bed, tired, sore and oterh just to get kicked around like fifth class citizens. best part of the job though is knowing that you do the best you can and save those that cant do what we do well...!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X