X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson learned

Well I worked for $3.75 an hour yesterday less if you factor in diesel and a few other consumables

First mistake: Took on an interior house painting job over the phone.

Second mistake: Agreed to a price - sight unseen based on client's description of the scope of work and what another guy quoted. Said, I'll do it for you for that!

Third mistake: Client is a friend.

Status: Client's comprehension of scope of work and reality are not in the same universe. Abandoned balance of job and recommended client call the other painter to come and finish the job.

Not sure if client is still a friend
    Last edited by gadgetarian; 04-06-2012, 10:17 PM.
    "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Re: Lesson learned

Originally posted by gadgetarian View Post
    Well I worked for $3.75 and hour yesterday less if you factor in diesel and a few other consumables

First mistake: Took on an interior house painting job over the phone.

Second mistake: Agreed to a price - sight unseen based on client's description of the scope of work and what another guy quoted. Said, I'll do it for you for that!

Third mistake: Client is a friend.

Status: Client's comprehension of scope of work and reality are not in the same universe. Abandoned balance of job and recommended client call the other painter to come and finish the job.

Not sure if client is still a friend
    My Dad taught me many many years ago that you have to make a profit on your friends, because your enemies won't trade with you.

Comment

Agreed!

What bothers me about this particular trade is the unreasonable expectation that came along with it. I'm all for helping my friends anytime I can, preferably not expecting anything in return, however this one was a business transaction and profit was my expectation. I'm the one who blew it and for this reason I'm embarrrased and maybe even a little ashamed of myself because I know better.

I just did a job for another friend and it was done by the book. Site visit, written budget proposal, PO, additional charges for extras, etc.

Status: Happy client/friend, happy contractor/me, still friends
      "Good enough" isn't really "good"...

Comment

Friends are the hardest. They can be really good or terrifyingly BAD. There is no middle ground. it is amazing how they put the sads on you looking for a better price but at the end of the day someone has to do the job, the only difference is the cost. What sucks the most is when "friends" cross this line with greedy expectations. Mind you I have several "friends" who only call when they want something, usually for nothing. Happens downunder too.......!!!

Comment

Working...
        X