X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best drain symptom EVER!

Small cafe, like a coffee shop but with breakfast and sandwiches and beers. Tiny little kitchen. Double sink with drain plumbed into a tiny grease trap set on the floor. Grease trap dumps into a floor sink, no other fixture tied into grease trap. Grease trap is just a wide spot in the line on the way from the double sink to the floor sink.

Employee bathroom ~ 20' away, same floor level. Has a toilet (regular floor discharge), vanity, and a floor drain. Nothing backing up. Floor drain working. Vanity draining. Toilet flushing, siphoning as it should, etc.

But get this: flush the toilet and ~1-2 seconds later a gush of water comes out the grease trap discharge into the floor sink. Really. No, really. I verified it again and again standing there with my jaw on the floor. Best thing I've ever seen in over a decade of just drain work, and my camcorder was at home.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Best drain symptom EVER!

You need to go back and record it.
    AllurePlumbing.com
    • leak detection
    • drain cleaning
    • utility locating
    • conductor fault locating
    • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

is it possible that a trap primer is tied into the sink and the drop of pressure is setting it off?

or it's a venting issue that is creating positive pressure on the grease trap.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        is it possible that a trap primer is tied into the sink and the drop of pressure is setting it off?

or it's a venting issue that is creating positive pressure on the grease trap.

rick.
        That would be funny to catch as well.
        AllurePlumbing.com
        • leak detection
        • drain cleaning
        • utility locating
        • conductor fault locating
        • and other specialties.

Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Comment

it was a vent thing... the flush was pushing air in front of it that was coming thru to the grease trap via the vent at the flow restrictor. the double sink was trapped, and that was holding just enough pressure to let it push out of the gt discharge instead. I disconnected the vent at the flow restrictor and it stopped happening. Sadly, when I hooked it back up again it would not repeat so I don't think I'll ever get any video. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen.
          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
          X