X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrocuted squirrel (VERY GRAPHIC)

while waiting for the job site to open this morning i was in my van and on the phone with ben. all of a sudden i hear a big explosion and bright flash. i was parked across the street from a house of worship and the first thing coming to my mind is something blew up

hang up with ben and walked outside. looked around and didn't see anything damaged. neighbors are asking me what it was

i call 911 and they just got another call for it too. within 7 minutes the beverly hills fire department had at least 3 trucks at the scene. by then i had already discovered the cause of the explosion

poor little squirrel never had a chance. if the shock didn't kill him, the fall would have.

fire department was very nice and had me text them the photos. they scooped it up and disposed of the little guy

rick.

based on the blast, he must have hit the higher , hi voltage lines. not the lower 120/240.

landed about 10' from the base of the pole. no burned fur, just split wide open.

squirrel tar tar anyone?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 10-20-2012, 07:50 PM.
    phoebe it is

Re: electrocuted squirrel (VERY GRAPHIC)

cool never saw that before
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
      Neither did the squirrel !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
        Where I used to live, only my house and the left-side neighbor fed off the transformer at the end of my driveway. If a squirrel committed suicide and popped the fuse just the two of us went dark. If neither was home, power could be out indefinitely. I was used to it - it would happen at least 3 or 4 times a year, and I lived there 9 years. Once, I popped my head outside and witnessed a neighbor's cat haulin' butt down the street with the fresh cooked morsel in its mouth and two more feline buddies chasing it. 'Bout fell out laughing.
        "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Same thing happened near my house, heard an explosion outside, went outside to investigate with a lot of tall grass in the area. Could find the squirrel by the smoke rising from the grass near the utility pole. Was quite charred and still burning.

Comment

YUK!

What a poor way to go. Hey, I like squirrels. Of course I don't have so many that they're eating all the crops in the area as some places do.

About 15 years ago, we lost power in most of the area around Painted Post. It was out for close to seven hours (the "grid" around there is horrible.) There's a few major high-voltage towers that pass between Corning and Riverside. The power station at the time was about three miles east of Corning and a series of those tall steel towers transfers power westward to Corning and beyond to places like Painted Post, Gang Mills, and throughout the town of Irwin. This power transfer line runs straight up the valley, on the south side of the river and at Riverside it borders a cliff and therefore is very hard to service.

Well it took some time to get up there to handle the short and sure enough it was a "critter".... only instead of a squirrel or bird being discovered, it was found to be the remains of a rattlesnake! The locals figured that one of the hawks must have snatched it and then dropped it where it fell and shorted the lines. About the only explanation that anyone could come up with of how it got up there. (I've found rattlesnakes within yards fo the house, but I never thought that I should ever have to look UP too.)

CWS

Comment

Back in the early '80s when i was just a little'un i remember a squirrel that got into the transformer at the end of our road. It was night time...there was a large actinic flash with a loud boom, then the sound of something similar to sky-fireworks (shhhwhwhwhhwhwh). My Dad found the transformer blown off the pole, the wires in the street, and the pole broken at the top. The electric co found the remains still inside the transformer.
              ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Guess Rocky grounded out...

Comment

Looks like he is doing the "thriller" dance by michael jackson, just in time for halloween!!

the electric company around here spent several 100K $ to put rubber boots on the connections on top of the transformers for just this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Bldr View Post
                    Guess Rocky grounded out...
                    Yeah! Poor Bullwinkle lost his lil' buddy!

Comment

When I was a boy, an owl became a quick short across the power lines that supplied our transformer. It started the top of the telephone pole on fire and burned most of the top of the pole off where they mounted one of the wires. We could see this glow from the kitchen window and wondered what was up.
                      The next day I found the bird with the lower half of its body gone from the bottom of the rib cage down and singed pretty bad. I'll never forget that one.

Comment

I'll always click on any link that has (VERY GRAPHIC) in it. Pretty gnarly!

__________________________________________________ _____________________
                        "I have busted more hippies' noses than all the narcs in the free world." - Ted Nugent
                        Chuck Dee - AKA Chris

Comment

chuck dee. not sure what's more graphic, my squirrel or your avatar

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            chuck dee. not sure what's more graphic, my squirrel or your avatar

rick.

I'll take my avatar but the cooked squirrel is pretty cool.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

"I have busted more hippies' noses than all the narcs in the free world." - Ted Nugent
                            Chuck Dee - AKA Chris

Comment

I've also clicked on a few pics of crispy critters compliments of power lines. Some were of ne'er do wells wanting to "borrow" the copper wiring to sell as scrap.
                              In one instance there was a two for one, that didn't reveal itself, until they tried to move the first.

Comment

Working...
                              X