X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• almost rolled my sprinter

had a camera and jetting job today for a new client/ realtor. didn't realize that this is one of the steepest streets in the world. averages 32-33% grade. tried to go up it with my 9200# sprinter and 3500# jetter in tow. made it about 200-300' up and had to back down with my trailer brakes applied the entire time.

looked on my gps for a way around and drove from the top down through side streets. managed to pull into the homes driveway and disconnect my trailer, using chocks to slowly move it out of the way to get my sprinter backed out.

problem started when i backed out and thought i could turn into the driveway across the road and then back into the driveway the original driveway to get my jetter.

needless to say with a tall profile tall top heavy sprinter on a 32% grade, my truck had the front drivers wheel off the ground while trying to pull into the driveway across the way. after some tense moments and sweating i managed to get the truck pulled into the driveway across the street head first.

some phone calls to mark and some photos to give him an idea, so he could tell me how to proceed, i managed to get turned around facing out.

now i had the truck pointed forward to the street. found a 90# bag of concrete at the house and threw it into the rear uphill passenger side. mark had me line up at the best angle to the street. at this point i had mark on speaker and i'm not sure what's going to happen. the realtor was filming it for the worst.

fortunately i manged to get out with my rear passenger dual tires lightly touching.

made it down and stopped on the way home for some burgers to bribe a buddy to come back with me in his tundra 4wd to get my jetter still parked in the driveway of the home i inspected. 5 burger later i was on my way to his shop.

he was amazed at the incline and his tundra had no issue with the grade or pull. heavy and low to the ground with a v8 in low 4wd.

stopped on the way back with another 2 burgers for us. got back to his shop and jetted his service sink 70' with my 1/4'' screwdriver nozzle. left the jetter there for me to pickup in the morning.

thanks mark for being there in my time of need and thanks steve for being there to bail me out.

the job needs more work and a cleanout installed under the driveway. got a buddy i'm recommending for this. he recommended me to the realtor for the cam and jet. i'll pay him back for the c/o install

read about this historic street here. It’s all uphill on Fargo Street | year, fargo, ride - Life - The Orange County Register

rick.

this was the original position i pulled in. had front driver tire off the ground on the way in.

managed to get turned around in the driveway.

no problem for the tundra. same vehicle they used for pulling the space shuttle in la a few weeks ago for a very expensive commercial shoot.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-14-2012, 03:01 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: almost rolled my sprinter

Fargo Street Hill Climb 03/06/2011 - YouTube
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I had No idea You have hills like that. We have christmass tree hill in corta madera Ca. like that. Years ago My old Dodge van couldn'y make it Up . TOOL SOUP ,TOO MANY TOOLS ! So glad You 2 Met in this in this universe !
      You Two are " BUZZ N WOODY " TO INFINITY AND BEYOND "
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

it could have been worse

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

that must have been some experience,

I bet that hill would be fun on a icy morning, (I know you do not usually have solid water there,) looks like it is bad enought on a good day,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            that must have been some experience,

I bet that hill would be fun on a icy morning, (I know you do not usually have solid water there,) looks like it is bad enought on a good day,
            That is exactly what I told Rick.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ice or even wet and i would have never been there in the first place. only made it up the first 200-300' and then figured out how to go around the side streets and come down.

had i parked on the street and chocked the wheels, the jetter pump and engine would have been too much of a slope to properly operate and oil.

next time i see one like this, i pass on it.

glad mark was there for support and steve for a tow.

maybe i'll go back in my tahoe for the fun of it with joey and phoebe. phoebe will be laughing and joey shouting on the way up.

what surprises me is there is only a single guard rail at the bottom of the stop sign. then onto the freeway embankment if you fail.

i'll stick to steep roofs with my k-60. it's safer

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Very glad you're safe.

I had a similar experience with the 18ft cube truck, 15k pounds, I was driving. The road, unmarked, no guard rails, mostly paved, some dirt, was easily 30% grade. Just looking at it from the bottom made me soil myself. But up I went...tearing apart the road when the bumper bottomed out. Then my guy calls me halfway up... dont go to the top he says, you will need to turn around. bullsh1t says me and up to the top i go... cuz there aint no u-turning here! At the top was a small dead-end patch and also a smaller all dirt path to the left the guy used to turn around his work van, so i pulled in nose first. Slowly backed out into the dead end patch... now i get to look DOOOOOoooowwwnnnn hill...shouldnt have done that. Boy, did the truck groan and creak. Metal, fiberglass, everything...all makes noise. stuff fell off the shelving. The the sound of the bumper tearing the heck outta the road again. LOL the sound of

VICTORY!

pull downhill to guys driveway... a nice angled drive pointed uphill... pull in...grind grind grind the bumper.... oops the truck stopped...on the bumper... back up... hammer on it... now im in the driveway....

do mini-split ac install. 40 feet up on a ladder with one leg propped on flat stones... i should have called in sick...

now to go home...remember to hammer on it... back out up the hill - oops bent bumper a little... gouged road pretty good. smooth over ruts and it looks good compared to the rest of the street...
                ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

When I first started reading this thread, I thought I was going to like it. As I was reading my hands started to sweat and I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach as I was clenching my bowels. Glad I don't have to do service work in your area!

Comment

Im glad i plumb in the flat lands
                    Maybe you could take a cart jetter next time rick

Comment

i probably would feel safer in my 4wd tahoe. the cart would still need to be put in the sprinter.

i hope there is no next time

plumber that recommended me has never been up there. but it does need an outside c/o that 4'8'' under the concrete drive. it's his job to do.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

How does the sprinter drive on windy days at 65+ mph?

Cactus Man

Comment

i do very little highway driving.

in fact my average mph over the last 24,000 miles is a whopping 13 mph.

but on the highway it's a pleasure. about 19-21 mpg.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I would have had the seat cushion up my rear. Nothing worse than feeling. That is crazy steep. San diego, Ca had some crazy roads that were on cliffs, but they are nothing compared to this. Glad your OK. What was there to jett. Looks like everything the sewer would siphon everything out of the house.
                            "don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been"

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              i probably would feel safer in my 4wd tahoe. rick.
                              where do you need a 4x4?

yes I have all wheel drive pickup and a truck, but only need if there is a major blizzard, and one and a long while the 4x4 in deep sand, but 99% of the time the two wheel drive is all that we use,
                              actually the two all wheel drive trucks are not even licensed, so there not used on the road, just on the farm in the pastures or fields, and all but the car is used off road as well, and by off road I mean places with out roads, as we have few paved roads most are all graveled or unimproved,
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X