X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a plumber with channelocks beats 3 handymen with a snake

Today/ Sunday, I get a call from a condo building I have a 20 year relationship with. They call at 10:50 am and tell me there is a leak in the waste pipe in the subterranian garage. I ask a few questions and based on the answers, I feel it could be a main line stoppage. They were suppose to send me a couple photos. Never did. But they called around 1:30 and left a message that the leak had stopped. I call and tell them I want to look at it to make sure since I didn't get a photo to see for sure. At 2:30 I show up after running errands in my suv. I had taken a pair of 460 channelocks and a 5/16" nut driver with me just in case.

As I approach the building, I see a large flow of water running down the gutter about 5 buildings south of mine. I get the hoa member to follow me and smell the flow as sewage. Look inside the subterannian parking garage and it's flooded. The handyman is outside and spots me looking. Tells me this has been going on for 3 hours. He has 1 of his guys looking for a jim cap and another pushing a broom trying to keep the elevator pit from flooding. I see a snake sitting next to the laundry room.

I tell them its a city problem and call 311 for the sanitation dept. Speak to the supervisor and he wants to know how I know it's a city stoppage. I tell him I pulled the city manhole lid with my channelocks. He says no you didn't. I say yes I did and the water is 3' from the top. I guess at this point he knew I had pulled it.

Waited till the city showed up and directed them to the manhole. They pulled 3 until they found the dry 1 to jet upstream.

So what I did in a matter of seconds, with my channelocks, the 3 building handymen couldn't do in 3 hours with their snake or knowledge.

Photos to follow.

Rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-15-2013, 02:45 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: When a plumber with channelocks beats 3 handymen with a snake

What was the 5/16 nut driver for?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      What was the 5/16 nut driver for?
      A loose no hub band , I believe But it wasn't that !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I hate doubting tommases ! Should done the 2 finger compactor lift next to the Man hole ,in front of those GIRLEY MEN ! HE HE
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Nut driver was to either tighten a no hub band or remove a cap to drain the system. Had I not figured out it was a city main stopped up, and removed the cleanout plug, then my building would be flooded too. And I would be driving home with toilet paper all over me.

First time I've had this building with a city stoppage. But not the first time running into city stoppages.

Rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

so here are some photos of the building 5 doors down.

rick.

here's the dead giveaway while driving to my building 5 doors north. heavy flow, stinky and some shreaded paper.

laundry room with machines displaced, snake sitting behind the machine, tools everywhere, handyman sweeping water out of room. even the clock is still 1 hour off from daylight savings a few weeks back.

the garage with water sitting as the pump is not keeping up with the flow. even the elevator pit got flooded that is right across from the laundry room.

city combo truck as they are looking for the right manhole. they pulled 3 to find the right location that was dry. while i'm driving home still dry and clean in my weekend play car.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 04-15-2013, 10:42 AM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I have a new title for Rick " THE SEWER DETECTIVE "

Comment

Is the sanitation Dept. responsible for this damage and clean up to all properties affected ?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Is the sanitation Dept. responsible for this damage and clean up to all properties affected ?
                  Generally speaking no. The property is suppose to be protected by a properly functioning backwater valve.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    I have a new title for Rick " THE SEWER DETECTIVE "
                    No, we can't go for that--someone will use the shortened version of "detective"

Comment

Sewer Sleuth ?

Comment

Rick, you actually get to speak to the right department when you call 311 in your area?

Here in Winnipeg 311 gets you a general call taker who does everything from advising on library hours to entering public works complaints into their dispatch system. The city does everything they can to prevent you from talking to the departments directly.

Last year around this time there was a major combined sewer overflow into the river from a blocked sewer that went on for a few days instead of a few hours because the call taker did not code it properly for the 24 service crew to look at it right away.

Comment

Originally posted by mbhydro View Post
                          Rick, you actually get to speak to the right department when you call 311 in your area?

Here in Winnipeg 311 gets you a general call taker who does everything from advising on library hours to entering public works complaints into their dispatch system. The city does everything they can to prevent you from talking to the departments directly.

Last year around this time there was a major combined sewer overflow into the river from a blocked sewer that went on for a few days instead of a few hours because the call taker did not code it properly for the 24 service crew to look at it right away.
                          I challange You to get the press involved ! You can make change ! Good luck

Comment

Media was involved over this one, as they are after any 311 problem. This one was the new person, lack of experience excuse from the city.

There was enough public pressure that certain departments about 6 months after the change to 311 came in, were allowed to have direct numbers published again to contact them (zoning and building inspectors as one example)

Comment

Just looking at the title of the thread I think of a National Enquirer front page headline.

Plumber with channelocks beats 3 handymen and a snake in fight.

Comment

Working...
                              X