Extension ladder safety, Made me look

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extension ladder safety, Made me look

Way too straight up! Good way to gauge angle is feet at the base and with your arms straight out front at shoulder height your hands should be touch the side rails of the ladder. The helper "footing" the ladder is the only saving grace. Being fearless, or stupid is no substitute for doing it the right way.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      That picture needs to be sent to the COS. workers Comp carrier ! OSHA ALSO. 50 Years ago I started as a young roofer in Boston. The older Men Mentoring Me said this. " Remember , You can't grow another Backbone ! " Nice looking Kid, He doesn't deserve that ! Loggers song be Harry Stamper outa coos bay Oregon " I came here to work, I didn't come here to die"
      Found this video on YouTube, thanks for the Harry Stamper mention it was educational.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45gjdMY4bgo

Comment

There is definitely an art to it.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I scored yesterday (8) 5ft. type II steps @ HD for $15.00 ea. would have got (9), but they only had (8) left. They had a limit of (3) per person I had the wife & daughter meet there while they were out getting their own black Fri. steals.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
            I scored yesterday (8) 5ft. type II steps @ HD for $15.00 ea. would have got (9), but they only had (8) left. They had a limit of (3) per person I had the wife & daughter meet there while they were out getting their own black Fri. steals.
            Cool, the last time I was on a Home Depot ladder I broke my leg in multiple places, my kneecap, my collarbone and my shoulder. Multiple surgeries, a new knee, a new shoulder, a lift for my now shorter leg and a couple hundred thousand dollars later, i wish I had been on a Little Giant ladder instead.

By the way, my wife stopped by her 90 year old (91 on 12/7) dad's house yesterday and he was out in the garage standing on the top "not a step" arranging some boxes. Poor ladder safety can ruin your day.

Mark
            Last edited by ToUtahNow; 11-30-2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Bought a nice warner realtree camo fiberglass 4' ladder at lowes for $29.00. The camo print will hold up better than the bright yellow when I jet overhead drains. Shouldn't show the dirt too easily.
              Also bought a 17' warner multipurpose ladder too. My 1979 little giant is getting a little old and is actuall a collectors item as it's vintage. Had to do some repairs as some of the parts wore down. Still a very strong and safe ladder. The warner looks like a clone to the little giant. Same hinge and stop assembly.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                Cool, the last time I was on a Home Depot ladder I broke my leg in multiple places, my kneecap, my collarbone and my shoulder. Multiple surgeries, a new knee, a new shoulder, a lift for my now shorter leg and a couple hundred thousand dollars later, i wish I had been on a Little Giant ladder instead.

By the way, my wife stopped by her 90 year old (91 on 12/7) house yesterday and he was out in the garage standing on the top "not a step" arranging some boxes. Poor ladder safety can ruin your day.

Mark
                I bet He's a WW 2 VET . Thank Him for all of Us Please !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  I bet He's a WW 2 VET . Thank Him for all of Us Please !
                  Yes he is and for the last ten years he sits around watching the old TV series "Combat" and telling war stories. Hs is still in remarkable shape.

Mark

Comment

By the way, my wife stopped by her 90 year old (91 on 12/7) dad's house yesterday and he was out in the garage standing on the top "not a step" arranging some boxes. Poor ladder safety can ruin your day.

Mark
                    Your story helped me getting over spending 450 for a ladder. Little giant all the way.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Mark
                      What kind of ladder? What happened to the ladder?

Comment

Just realized this ^ could come off in a joking way.

I was seriously asking what kind of ladder & what happened too it so as to watch for the problem or avoid it altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                          What kind of ladder? What happened to the ladder?
                          I believe it was a 6' Werner that my son-in-law paid under $70 for. They had started a remodel just before my kidney transplant. At that time I told him to take the ladder back and to go get one of my Little Giant ladders. After my transplant I was not allowed out for 6-months. In that six months nothing was done with the remodel. The ceilings of the first floor and all of the floors were torn out. The old galvanize plumbing looked more like a sprinkler system than a plumbing system. My grand kids had to stay upstairs and out of the first floor. Brenda begged me to go over and help them out. When I got there the only ladder was the was the one I told him to take back. I worked a couple of hours running new copper than ran into a spot where he had hammered a bushing in around a pipe and the pipe was too short of what needed to be done. I was half way up the ladder and gave the pipe a quick jerk. The pipe came loose easier than I thought it would and I fell backwards while still holding the pipe. The ladder walked on me and my leg ended up inside the ladder.

I laid on the ground for about half an hour thinking it wasn't to bad and I would drive to the hospital. On my direction, my daughter called the advice nurse to ask the best way to build a splint. She said no way and sent an ambulance. I took my boots off and put on a pair of sweats while laying on the ground. The realization came when the first surgeon told me there was not enough to fix and that I would never walk again, he was afraid of me but that is another story. The second surgeon said it would be a bunch of surgeries and 15-years but he would get me close to normal. At the time no one knew my shoulder was broken too. After my first surgery I spent 10-days in the hospital, was brought home in an ambulance then 6 more months in a hospital bed. After a couple of months in a wheelchair they re-x rayed my collarbone and found my broken shoulder.

Mark

Comment

Man, that's a nightmare that happens in the blink of an eye. I was going to tell you to sue the ladder manufacturer, but as you know, that defect would be very hard to prove.

Walking again?

And have you punched your son-in-law in the mouth yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                              Man, that's a nightmare that happens in the blink of an eye. I was going to tell you to sue the ladder manufacturer, but as you know, that defect would be very hard to prove.

Walking again?

And have you punched your son-in-law in the mouth yet?
                              I'm walking but in pain most of the time. My leg healed crooked and twisted so they did reconstructive surgery with a knee replacement. Now to those who don't know it is hard to tell my new knee is in the wrong place and the leg is an inch shorter. It's been 9 1/2 years and have decided no more surgeries on it. Besides, my 56-year old surgeon is one who decided to retired because of the ACA. He still calls at home to check on us but he doesn't have hospital privileges.

Mark
                              Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-01-2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                                While driving to a job yesterday with my jetter in tow on a major street, I saw a sign installer literally standing straight up on an extension ladder with his coworker bracing the ladder so it won't flip backwards. I thought to myself, they're either really experianced or really stupid.

So on the way back an hour later, they were still working and still hanging the last piece of the sign. Pulled over to take a picture and share with the forum.

Ladders scare me, but this was beyond scarry. They have balls of steel.

Rick.

Name:  683eb54fd80613d6795ccd6bea5023af.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  449.6 KB

Surprised they didn't duct tape a couple of 4x2s to get a little more. Mind you some of our new neighbors here could have given them lessons in bamboo

Comment

Working...
                                X