Extension ladder safety, Made me look

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extension ladder safety, Made me look

Seen the bamboo scaffolding and ladders in Thailand. What was more impressive was they were shoeless while climbing and working. I guess osha rules don't apply overseas.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I hate ladders and avoid going up more than a few steps when possible. I used to have a Werner extension ladder and hated thew way it used to wobble/feel unstable and could never convince myself to go more than a few steps on it. After borrowing and using my neighbor's Little Giant ladder I got rid of the Werner and bought a Little Giant at Costco. I still avoid getting on ladders when possible but I feel more comfortable on the Little Giant.

Comment

my very first articulating ladder I bought from National Lumber back in the early 80's. it was so wobbly that I jumped off it afraid it was going to collapse. brought it back to the store and made the manager try climbing it. he gave me a refund as he too was shaking.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Surprisingly the bamboo is really strong Rick. I didn't see them put it up but saw a scaff in main street Singapore some years ago. Now they are supposed to be a modern country aren't they. Talking of ladders I couldnt get around to snap a picture of someone here using a step ladder in the middle nature strip between the lanes. Stupidity doesn't just exist over there you know. WE can supply an infinite number of good quality idiots if you are running short you know.

Comment

Its funny when I look back I never had any problems with heights and the old wooden ladders of yesteryear which would sway backwards and forwards when climbing them but when I got to fifty I started to realize that I wouldn`t bounze anymore if I fell and now at sixty five you wont get my up a ladder as I have vertigo now and am afraid of heights I think I have come the full circle as we all will

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              I believe it was a 6' Werner that my son-in-law paid under $70 for. They had started a remodel just before my kidney transplant. At that time I told him to take the ladder back and to go get one of my Little Giant ladders. After my transplant I was not allowed out for 6-months. In that six months nothing was done with the remodel. The ceilings of the first floor and all of the floors were torn out. The old galvanize plumbing looked more like a sprinkler system than a plumbing system. My grand kids had to stay upstairs and out of the first floor. Brenda begged me to go over and help them out. When I got there the only ladder was the was the one I told him to take back. I worked a couple of hours running new copper than ran into a spot where he had hammered a bushing in around a pipe and the pipe was too short of what needed to be done. I was half way up the ladder and gave the pipe a quick jerk. The pipe came loose easier than I thought it would and I fell backwards while still holding the pipe. The ladder walked on me and my leg ended up inside the ladder.

I laid on the ground for about half an hour thinking it wasn't to bad and I would drive to the hospital. On my direction, my daughter called the advice nurse to ask the best way to build a splint. She said no way and sent an ambulance. I took my boots off and put on a pair of sweats while laying on the ground. The realization came when the first surgeon told me there was not enough to fix and that I would never walk again, he was afraid of me but that is another story. The second surgeon said it would be a bunch of surgeries and 15-years but he would get me close to normal. At the time no one knew my shoulder was broken too. After my first surgery I spent 10-days in the hospital, was brought home in an ambulance then 6 more months in a hospital bed. After a couple of months in a wheelchair they re-x rayed my collarbone and found my broken shoulder.

Mark
              Sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully they can find something safe that will help you with the pain. It brought back bad memories of how my uncle died. He was 3ft. up a 6ft. step ladder & fell off. Problem was he was not tied off & he also fell off the 3rd floor & hit his head on a pc. of I-beam sticking out on the 2nd floor on his way to the ground. That building was going to be his last job before retiring from the union & coming to work for me (he had 30 years in).

Comment

Originally posted by MR.FUDD View Post
                Sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully they can find something safe that will help you with the pain. It brought back bad memories of how my uncle died. He was 3ft. up a 6ft. step ladder & fell off. Problem was he was not tied off & he also fell off the 3rd floor & hit his head on a pc. of I-beam sticking out on the 2nd floor on his way to the ground. That building was going to be his last job before retiring from the union & coming to work for me (he had 30 years in).
                I'm sorry for your loss.

My prescription is for 6 OxyContin per day but I hate taking pills because I take so many for other stuff. I usually end up taking between two to three per month.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  I believe it was a 6' Werner that my son-in-law paid under $70 for. They had started a remodel just before my kidney transplant. At that time I told him to take the ladder back and to go get one of my Little Giant ladders. After my transplant I was not allowed out for 6-months. In that six months nothing was done with the remodel. The ceilings of the first floor and all of the floors were torn out. The old galvanize plumbing looked more like a sprinkler system than a plumbing system. My grand kids had to stay upstairs and out of the first floor. Brenda begged me to go over and help them out. When I got there the only ladder was the was the one I told him to take back. I worked a couple of hours running new copper than ran into a spot where he had hammered a bushing in around a pipe and the pipe was too short of what needed to be done. I was half way up the ladder and gave the pipe a quick jerk. The pipe came loose easier than I thought it would and I fell backwards while still holding the pipe. The ladder walked on me and my leg ended up inside the ladder.

I laid on the ground for about half an hour thinking it wasn't to bad and I would drive to the hospital. On my direction, my daughter called the advice nurse to ask the best way to build a splint. She said no way and sent an ambulance. I took my boots off and put on a pair of sweats while laying on the ground. The realization came when the first surgeon told me there was not enough to fix and that I would never walk again, he was afraid of me but that is another story. The second surgeon said it would be a bunch of surgeries and 15-years but he would get me close to normal. At the time no one knew my shoulder was broken too. After my first surgery I spent 10-days in the hospital, was brought home in an ambulance then 6 more months in a hospital bed. After a couple of months in a wheelchair they re-x rayed my collarbone and found my broken shoulder.

Mark
                  My God I thought I have had it bad over the last couple of years with a total shoulder replacement and neck reconstruction just stay way from me Mark as I don`t want your luck rubbing off onto me

Tony

Comment

While we're on the subject of laddersafety, I read not long ago about a fiberglass ladder that was kept on a ladder rack of a utility service truck that failed and seriously injured the climber. The fiberglass has become deteriorated from exposure to sun and the rails just shattered.

Now lately I have seen the local utility service trucks with an enclosed aluminum storage box which at first I was thinking was for security/theft prevention but maybe they are trying to protect the ladder from the sun.

So how long do those of you who drag a ladder around every day keep a ladder? 2, 3 or more years? How often do you inspect your ladders, I mean not just the once over you give it when you go to use it but a serious top to bottom inspection.
                    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      While we're on the subject of laddersafety, I read not long ago about a fiberglass ladder that was kept on a ladder rack of a utility service truck that failed and seriously injured the climber. The fiberglass has become deteriorated from exposure to sun and the rails just shattered.

Now lately I have seen the local utility service trucks with an enclosed aluminum storage box which at first I was thinking was for security/theft prevention but maybe they are trying to protect the ladder from the sun.

So how long do those of you who drag a ladder around every day keep a ladder? 2, 3 or more years? How often do you inspect your ladders, I mean not just the once over you give it when you go to use it but a serious top to bottom inspection.
                      I would normally inspect my ladders on the way down as I was falling off it and wished that I had inspected them earlier but most falls were the wrong positioning of the ladder in the first place or over extending one self while up it but you know its Murphies law

Tony

Comment

Fibreglass are not all they are cracked up to be. I dont know about you guys but I am just waiting for someone to introduce a "use by date" on our ladders.
                        I used to have a 24' wooden extention ladder. Someone close, and god forbid I cant remember who, borrowed it and liked it enough to still have it. Mind you I have made it quite clear that I think it out of order to do such thing but as they have now done what can be considered as stolen it I hope and pray that my mate KHARMA catches up with them and they brake their neck or other. Not on my schedule of assets so too bad, so sad, go suck for insurance...........!!!!
                        funny as it sounds we still see lots of the old wooden ladders in use, as too the domestic lightweight ladders instead of the Commercial Rated ones. Amazing how stupid some people are.

Comment

All we use to use in new construction were class 1a double sided wooden ladders. Not uncommon to see 2 guys on the ladder with a 200# valve sitting on the top rung. Still felt very stable and safe. Can't say that with aluminum or fiberglass.

Fiberglass are nice for it's light weight and ability to be washed clean. As far as non conductive, probably more for electricians than plumbers.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Don't know if they still do it or not but the telephone company here had a item in its annual report a few years ago under environmental responsibility section, that their carpentry shop would cut down and rehabilitate damaged ladders. All their ladders are fiberglass so I am not sure how they keep the CSA certifications on them if they are modified.

Comment

Working...
                            X