Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taught my customer to change a water heater thermocouple and gas valve

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    To some of us life, safety is still a serious issue. It was Rick who posted his customer is not a hands on kind of guy, not me. He also posted "his mistake was not unscrewing the gas flex adapter from the valve and then having to unwrench the adapter without a secondary back up wrench. so he used a bench vice that wasn't bolted down and an old mag light as a cheater for his old valve". Even a rookie like you should know all he had to do was thread the valve back in to the water heater to unscrew the adapter. I have not been in a service truck in 13-years so it doesn't hurt my pocket in any way. Instead I represent plumbers when they make mistakes like this. Can you imagine the liability if something had happened and the owner said the plumber talked me through it over the phone?

Mark
    So he did something different to achieve what he needed. I'm missing why that makes him incapable of doing this work - which by all account he did successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
      So he did something different to achieve what he needed. I'm missing why that makes him incapable of doing this work - which by all account he did successfully.
      I would not expect you to understand life, safety or professionalism. You are also assuming nothing he did in the installation was improper. That is something neither one of us could possible know.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-15-2013, 04:29 PM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I would not expect you to understand life, safety or professionalism. You are also assuming nothing he did in the installation was improper. That is something neither one of us could possible know.

Mark

Mark
        Big assumption on your part about me. As far as being done correctly - I was going by what Rick posted in assuming this. I agree neither of us do know for sure.

Comment

Big assumption on your part about me. As far as being done correctly - I was going by what Rick posted in assuming this. I agree neither of us do know for sure.
          ...and I would argue, either does Rick.

Mark

Comment

...and I would argue, either does Rick.

Mark
            Okay...I'm sure he will weigh in to clarify.

Comment

The point Mark makes that resonates at a high decibel with me is that the customer's ability to handle this situation is moot. To a contractor in over litigious California, it boils down to why would Rick put himself at such risk?

Comment

Sorry, i'm going to close this thread ! Unkle marky won't be welcome at phoebe's home, christmas morn ! That would be terrible !
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

He had the job already finished when he paged me at 8:03 pm. This was after he had finished work, then go to the supply house 1 hour away and return home to install the valve.

Sure he could have removed the new valve he already installed and got wet since he didnt know how to create a vacuum and not spill more than a drop. But to remove the new valve and the 3 lines he already connected, I think he used his head after the fact to loosen the flared adapter.

When I say he's not hands on, its because he runs a 20 person office and warehouse staff. He doesn't have time to do alot of the chores by himself. But he does come and watch me as I jet or snake out his warehouse. He's very knowledgeable and knows when to call for help. If he thought he needed real help, he would have called me during the day to meet him at the house when he got home with the part.
                  I give him credit for doing a job that most would have sold him a new heater for 10 to 15 times more than what he has invested. He might get several more years out of the heater and if it leaks, its outdoors. Not a big deal.

Now mark, you keep rubbing it in and he won't invite you to the next party. I heard they're having a live rhino.

Rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Okay so having re-read the thread I do see that the customer went ahead and changed the valve without Rick having anything to do with it - at least as that's my understanding. Rick just posted a photo showing what he had done. So what's the fuss about?

Comment

Okay so having re-read the thread I do see that the customer went ahead and changed the valve without Rick having anything to do with it - at least as that's my understanding. Rick just posted a photo showing what he had done. So what's the fuss about?
                      ...and a title that said "Taught my customer to change a water heater thermocouple and gas valve"

Maek

Comment

...and a title that said "Taught my customer to change a water heater thermocouple and gas valve"

Maek
                        First the customer is incompetent because of how he uncoupled the adapter - which having read Rick's latest post sounds like the best option for him and now it's the thread title?? Okay....
                        Last edited by blue_can; 12-15-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

He could have done a BETTER job than anyone licensed and experienced. Great for him! Or anyone else.

But as a licensed professional, you don't advise a non-experienced novice on anything as dangerous as natural gas.

Period. You understand that or are lost.

Comment

First the customer is incompetent because of how he uncoupled the adapter - which having read Rick's latest post sounds like the best option for him and now it's the thread title?? Okay....
                            I'm afraid you just don't get it. Yes the customer is incompetent. The adapter should have been removed before he took the valve out. Then instead of screwing the valve back into the water heater to remove the adapter, he lays a vice on the floor to hold the valve and uses a MagLight tube as a cheater bar. There is not a person on this board that knows whether the valve was installed properly or if it is a ticking time bomb and that is a fact.

It was Rick who posted in his title, he taught his customer how to change his gas valve, his words not mine. I understand he is now saying he had nothing to do with it, then what did he mean when he posted "nothing local to his house and had to drive 15 miles to a supply house that had 1 in stock. called me tonight and asked a few questions. 30 minutes later I get a text message from him.

"thought you would laugh at my makeshift jig. note vice is unbolted. you rock! thanks again for all your help! let's hope it hangs in now. how long to heat up?"
                            ?

Keep in mind, Rick and I talked on the phone and there are other issues I have with problems the guy had but Rick did not say I could share those with you.

Mark

Comment

I'm afraid you just don't get it. Yes the customer is incompetent. The adapter should have been removed before he took the valve out. Then instead of screwing the valve back into the water heater to remove the adapter, he lays a vice on the floor to hold the valve and uses a MagLight tube as a cheater bar. There is not a person on this board that knows whether the valve was installed properly or if it is a ticking time bomb and that is a fact.

It was Rick who posted in his title, he taught his customer how to change his gas valve, his words not mine. I understand he is now saying he had nothing to do with it, then what did he mean when he posted "nothing local to his house and had to drive 15 miles to a supply house that had 1 in stock. called me tonight and asked a few questions. 30 minutes later I get a text message from him.

"thought you would laugh at my makeshift jig. note vice is unbolted. you rock! thanks again for all your help! let's hope it hangs in now. how long to heat up?"
                              ?

Keep in mind, Rick and I talked on the phone and there are other issues I have with problems the guy had but Rick did not say I could share those with you.

Mark
                              Yes I do get it. The customer forgot to remove the adapter until later and so used the method shown. The fact he forgot it has no bearing on whether he did it correctly or not.

Comment

Yes I do get it. The customer forgot to remove the adapter until later and so used the method shown. The fact he forgot it has no bearing on whether he did it correctly or not.
                                So is it installed correctly and if so how do you know?

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X