Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taught my customer to change a water heater thermocouple and gas valve

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
    Not that simple. People who have common sense can easily miss a step when in a certain situations such as having a flat on a road vs changing a tire in your garage. But given what had happened I thought he showed some original thinking to get out of the situation rather than having to undo the new valve. So I don't see it in the same negative light as you.
    I'm not surprised. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
      I'm not surprised. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Mark
      I guess so too Mark

Comment

Hey Rick!?

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
          Not that simple. People who have common sense can easily miss a step when in a certain situations such as having a flat on a road vs changing a tire in your garage. But given what had happened I thought he showed some original thinking to get out of the situation rather than having to undo the new valve. So I don't see it in the same negative light as you.
          on that note i can say the opposite
          more than often ive seen the pros miss things so obvious that you only needed the barest amount of common sense to see.
          whether a DIY changed the valve and fittings is a moot point here in this discussion.
          I see you all arguing over it concerning the legality of it.
          judging someone elses skill when you dont know him/her is the grossest injustice you can do.
          consider what was done with the tools he had available to him, he had the common sense to check his work for leaks and found none!
          not everyone has the tools we have available to us.

so lighten up guys too much bashing going on
          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
            more than often ive seen the pros miss things so obvious that you only needed the barest amount of common sense to see.
            whether a DIY changed the valve and fittings is a moot point here in this discussion.
            judging someone elses skill when you dont know him/her is the grossest injustice you can do.
            consider what was done with the tools he had available to him, he had the common sense to check his work for leaks and found none!

Considering the fact the guy never did figure out how to turn the water off to the water heater and drain the tank so he could change the valve, I'd say he wasn't very handy.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post

No bashing. It's irresponsible advising NG work over the phone.

Comment

I haven't showered in 17 days.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                  Think it would have enough poop to remove an anoid from W H ?
                  My electric won't-
                  If you really want to remove them, get a torque multiplier from Gull Industries. It will set you back $500.
                  There is no doubt that servicing water heaters pays off, they last longer.
                  But, still need to be flushed, t/p replaced,drain valves leak.....

Comment

Try the dewalt 1/2" impact corded. 345 ft lbs. Loosened my leak spring bolts with no problem at all.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      Considering the fact the guy never did figure out how to turn the water off to the water heater and drain the tank so he could change the valve, I'd say he wasn't very handy.

Mark
                      he did shut the water and release the pressure. what he didn't know was how to create a vacuum to keep from spilling more water than necessary. but the heater was in an outside closet, so nothing was damaged.

most guys don't know how to create a vacuum until they've seen it done before. then again most guys will never replace a hose bibb on the fly or even better yet an angle stop on the fly indoors. it's all based on your experience and what you've seen and feel comfortable with.

utility water guys will change a water meter corporation stop on the fly, something, i've never tried or needed to do. but I know how to do it, but never will.

I've seen a gas company employee change a 3/4'' gas cock before the meter and regulator with a glorified jet sweet that fit through the wedge of the valve. pretty trick, and took a specialized employee to do it. not just anyone. I would have never thought they had a tool to go through a gas cock with rectangular opening that can seal off a round pipe and also seal off the riser like a double test plug.

i'm sure the h.o. is now aware of the 2 tricks i use. so next time he will not get anything wet or forget to remove the flare adapter first. but next time, I would think its new heater time. rather doubt he will even think about that on his own.

rick.
                      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 12-19-2013, 10:20 PM.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Try the dewalt 1/2" impact corded. 345 ft lbs. Loosened my leak spring bolts with no problem at all.
                        I just replaced two a couple of weeks ago. Always just got them out with a socket and ratchet. Now, it is a larger one though. Maybe 16"-18" long?

Comment

Working...
                        X