How I got out of the jetter business

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got out of the jetter business

A few years back I bought a Spartan 798 with 9 hours on it for $12,000.00, well under the $30k+ for a new one.
    Over a 2 month period, I made about $8k.
    I had just completed a jetting job, and had ProPress job to do, so I dropped it off in my circle drive at home.
    I was gone less than an hour, and when I returned to pick it up it was gone!!!!! SOB!!!!
    So I called the cops and filed a report.
    And I wait, and wait and wait. Nothing. Crap.

I didn't think I had added it to my Marine Rider, but figured I should get at least something so I called my insurance agent. Low and behold, he had been in my office the day I was leaving to pick up the jetter in LA., and went ahead and ADDED IT that same day. Hallelujah!!!
    How much I ask? Replacement value he says. Glory Be!!!!!
    Well send the check, says I, and a few weeks later he did!!!

Since had given my jetter accounts away to a friend, I was in no hurry to replace it. It wouldn't have been fair to him or my customers, so I just banked the check.

Three months later I get a call from the Sheriffs office saying that they had recovered it in a sting operation in West Phoenix. Sadly, I told them that it now belongs to the Insurance Company.

A couple hours later my agent calls and asked me to pick it up for them and store it as they had no way of retrieving it. No problem.

I went down to pick it up and the timer only had a couple hours more on it since it had been stolen.

According the Deputy, the thieves had taken it to a hide out in the desert, near Lake Havasu, and tried to sell it as a pressure washer at a boat dealer. Being the entrepreneurs that they were, they agreed to demo the "power washer" on a dirty boat. So they attach the wand, filled the tank with water, cranked it up to max, and watched in amazement as the dirt disappeared and BORED A HOLE clean through the boat. They couldn't get out of there quick enough.

Havasu PD gave the Maricopa County SD a heads up, and thats how I ended up with it.

After storing it for my ins. co., for a couple of months without hearing from them I give them a call about what they want to do with it. They said make an offer. Will you take $5k? They said write the check, which I did.

Not being in the jetting biz any longer, I sold it for half the cost of a new one.

So ends my career as a Jetter operator.

While I'm sure I could have made more money jetting, than buying and selling. The wife like the Caddy a lot better than the jetter.

AP

wow what a story, glad it had a happy ending!
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Story My Irish Ar$e ! That's a movie ! Wanna buy My backhoe ??
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i want to know how you got it so cheap. where in la did you dig this up? amazing story.

mine is locked up and insured for 50k.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          i want to know how you got it so cheap. where in la did you dig this up? amazing story.

mine is locked up and insured for 50k.

rick.

Let me just say, that the individual from whom I purchased it had/has signs along the 10 freeway with his name on it. We met at his bank, and I paid off his note, hooked it up at the bank and headed home.
          The Spartan rep had told me about it and I jumped on it.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Story My Irish Ar$e ! That's a movie ! Wanna buy My backhoe ??

Sorry Tool, I had two Case 580's. Shipped one to Tennessee and one to Mexico. The price of yellow metal has gone through the roof, yet some of the local owner operators are still charging like it's 1985.

Comment

surprised that the rep didn't buy it back and resell it with 9 hours on it. that was stolen more than once

that model is no longer made. but it last sold for 30k.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                surprised that the rep didn't buy it back and resell it with 9 hours on it. that was stolen more than once

that model is no longer made. but it last sold for 30k.

rick.

Plus tax and freight.

Comment

Working...
                X