Kohler toilet seat replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohler toilet seat replacement

Typically a simple task to remove a toilet seat. Not if you have a kohler 1 pc. toilet with built in aluminum anchors that are now loose and stripped. can't tighten the screws and can't loosen the screws.

the homeowner had already torn the seat off the toilet and wasn't able to remove the screws. I used my die grinder with diamond blade to cut off the stainless bolts. the diamond make a very fine cut that doesn't heat up. also a regular abrasive wheel would create sparks and pit the china finish. once the heads are cut off, then i can punch the remaining stud back into the aluminum anchor. at this point i then peel the anchors top flange off and knock the rest into the recessed cavity of the china bowl.

Once again a totally stupid design that kohlers famous for. making unique designs that don't stand the test of time. worst of all is the cost of the replacement bolt kit they try to sell you, the new seat and my labor to remove the damaged seat bolts. but on a 1 pc. colored toilet, it's still cheaper than replacing the toilet.

toto at least uses a rubber well nut that squeezes and expands to tighten. not a perfect design, but a simple to replace design when need be.

Rick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM02584.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	873.3 KB
ID:	18765

the remaining screws and post after the owner attempted to remove the seat. all they do is turn, doesn't tighten or loosen.

Name:	CAM02585.jpg
Size:	916.6 KB
ID:	18766

cutting off the large truss head ss screws.

Name:	CAM02586.jpg
Size:	952.4 KB
ID:	18767

a dremel might work, but a die grinder with a diamond wheel makes easy work of cutting the 1/4'' ss bolts.

Name:	CAM02587.jpg
Size:	945.3 KB
ID:	18768

punching the remaining anchors into the bowl cavity.

Name:	CAM02588.jpg
Size:	871.9 KB
ID:	18769

the finished product waiting for the owner to contact kohler and see if they can get a free replacement set of anchors.
    phoebe it is

another reason to go Toto !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I hear you on Kohler design issues, Rick. Their current quick release/easy clean hinge system on their toilet seats is one of the flimsiest POS's I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with.

Comment

Working...
      X