Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what should have been 20 minutes was 5 hours !!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what should have been 20 minutes was 5 hours !!!

Homeowner buys a home that was newly renovated , the old homeowner did a great job of laying tile over all the cleanouts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    had to go to the second floor with the heavy drum machine and run out almost a 100 ft to get to the roots ...
    best part was seeing a foot of backup drain in seconds after I hit the roots !!
    Worst part was trying to go through the floor drain in the first place ..
    went home to shower the smell of money off my body and throw out my clothes .

homeowner tipped me $100

Well done !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Sounds like you need to change your profile name.
      -Byron

Comment

• Cable or root
        Cable or root commented
        Editing a comment
        Just kidding lol.

Seriously though. If you knew it was the sewer you shouldn't ever try to open it from a 2" floordrain. Take your time and do it right. One of 2 things couldve gone seriously wrong. First, your sink cable could've gotten tangled in a bad root mass and gotten stuck that way. some times you can use a drill or something to get out of that on. Or worse you could've grabbed a rootball bigger than 2" and not have pulled back through the floor drain. Resulting in an unnecessary repair that in my opinion you would be completely responsible for. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything but i've seen it happen. Usually when a kitchen sink/washer line has its own 4" exterior clay wye line with no cleanout or stool opening.

Cable or not I agree!
      I am new to this and seem to run on luck
      So far I have done well in an area who has limited options for my service .

Today I walked away after an hour of looking for the main opening .
      Homeowner said they drywalled over it !!
      I said call me when you find it.

Any tips on locating ? I look for a big vent and go from there .

I have also been sending my 1 inch spade first or small wire screw so I can go 100 out and return where some start with the 3 inch cutter ..
      I have my k400 loaded with 1/2 cable and for a cutter I use a 10 inch section of really flexible sectional cable . gets around traps like magic and has replaced my drop head.

Tonight the 400 went into a main that was done a week ago , returned a 5 gallon pail of clothing and towels ... homeowner runs a home for mentally challenged elderly , I gave her a good deal cause I know she has limited funds and will call again soon .

Comment

A k-400 should never be in a main line.

Period!

Comment

Originally posted by fixitright View Post
          A k-400 should never be in a main line.

Period!
          Why not?
          I have been to places where the 7500 wont fit and I am sure you will agree that a 400 is a little easier to carry down stairs ..
          Another concern with a big machine is they are not forgiving , 400 will stop and pull out a washcloth where the big brother just keeps going and has twisted up more than it can pull out ..

Comment

Originally posted by wayassfasterthanyou View Post

Why not?
            I have been to places where the 7500 wont fit and I am sure you will agree that a 400 is a little easier to carry down stairs ..
            Another concern with a big machine is they are not forgiving , 400 will stop and pull out a washcloth where the big brother just keeps going and has twisted up more than it can pull out ..

Even better get that main line clean through the floor drain. Always best for a K-400.
            Let us know how it works.

Comment

So why does the 400 have 3 inch cutters available?
              Why does Ridgid say on the spec page "1/2" (12 mm) cable best for 3" to 4" (50 mm to 110 mm) lines."
              I apologize for being new to this and asking questions on a forum .

Comment

I just returned from a job with a plugged main . 400 did just fine ran out 20 feet of cable with a 2 inch screw and pulled out a clump of shop towels , went in with the camera and line was clear . So again Fixitright can please explain why a 400 is the wrong tool?
                I am doing my best to own one of everything but till then I use what I have .

Comment

• fixitright
                  fixitright commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wait for it

for what?

Comment

I think there rated for soft stoppages not roots, even tho I have done roots with my K375, before I knew better,

Get in to tough stoppages and the cable can flip on you and really get tie up in the lines, using the 1/2 line should be better tho,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what should have been 20 minutes was 5 hours !!!

sound like most of my days,

a guy wanted some help with a beef that was crippled up and so I said I would help him so he brought it out and put it down and we had it in the cooler, (cooler had been running fine, went back down after lunch and the cooler died on me, so I had to make a make shift rack to hang the meat from in the walk in freeze and readjust the thermostat on the freezer, for the night I could have hung it out side or in a out building but that would no work for long, as it was warming back up and I am not to good with the carrying the quarters, around by my self.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by wayassfasterthanyou View Post
                    for what?
                    A giant cluster f***.thats what. the k400 is rated for soft blockages in 4". that 1/2" cable is only good for interior suspended sewer lines with no chance of root intrusion ie a sewer blockage on the 3rd floor of a building. i dont know how many 1/2" cables i got unstuck for people who didn't know what they were doing. my advice is to avoid using it but you go ahead and do what you want.

but when you run into roots like the ones in this picture your k400 is going to get stuck. bad. stuck stuck.
                    -Byron

Comment

• fixitright
                      fixitright commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A giant cluster f***.thats what.

Made me laugh .... Good one!

Originally posted by Cable or root View Post
                    A giant cluster f***.thats what. the k400 is rated for soft blockages in 4". that 1/2" cable is only good for interior suspended sewer lines with no chance of root intrusion ie a sewer blockage on the 3rd floor of a building. i dont know how many 1/2" cables i got unstuck for people who didn't know what they were doing. my advice is to avoid using it but you go ahead and do what you want.

but when you run into roots like the ones in this picture your k400 is going to get stuck. bad. stuck stuck.
                    I fully understand . I have a 2 big machines that are capable of root infested lines . Did 2 jobs today that the 400 would have died at . but that being said when you are in a new end of town with the known cause not being roots the 400 is easy down the stairs . I know my city and what areas are bad , we have one street where its known for roots to the point the other guys who root wont go there . Thanks for the reply and its nice to end my day talking to others who do the same . even if I am green at this compared to most of you I will always respect a reply that comes with some wisdom. but when fixitright replies he is just messing with me .

Comment

I have used a 3/8" cable many times to clear a main line blockage, you just have to know what you are doing with it and when it is time to bring out the big machine
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                      X