I got Plucked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got Plucked

While jetting a sewer in a somewhat non maintained backyard yesterday, i go to clean up my stretched out hoses and meet with the owner. i remove my gloves,and i noticed a couple of small slivers in my hands. very fine almost like fiberglass shards. I pulled them out and thought nothing of it. Then i sat down in my truck and felt like my entire right side was on fire. pulled off my black shirt and noticed a bunch of tiny spines poking into my shirt and then into my skin. my right arm, shoulder and right side of back had hundreds of tiny stickers poking out.

The homeowner wasn't sure what i got into and i wasn't sure either. I was thinking that when i rolled up my hoses that were laying on the ground, they picked up some plant life and then transferred them onto my clothes. He spent the next 10 minutes with tweezers plucking these little spines out of my skin. on the way home with a new clean shirt, i called my brother in law to find out what to do and how to remove the rest. He's an ER Dr in Houston and knows all the tricks. Duct tape is what they use to remove what he believed to be from cactus. Yes there was cactus at the rear of the yard, but i wasn't working there. Except that i remember letting my hoses drain off in that area so as not to create mud in the open yard. I guess either i brushed against them or my hoses had them on them.

So on my way home, i stopped at my buddies shop and asked his wife, a nurse to pluck me of cactus needles. i think she enjoyed using duct tape on my hair covered arm. My side and Back wasn't as bad. She also gave me 2 benadryl's for the potential reaction and itching.

Yes, i'm itchy this morning as there are plenty still broken off in my skin. but i was able to sleep ok with the effects of the benadryl's.

So next time I'm anywhere around a yard with cactus, i will avoid the area and carry a roll of gorilla tape with me.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Maybe some thick coveralls for jobs like these - having said that it would be very uncomfortable in the current weather.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
      PLUMBER RICK commented
      Editing a comment
      Problem was I never even knew I was in trouble until I sat down and the ones in my shirt dug in. The ones in my arm and elbow were the worse.

Rick.

sorry you got in some nasties,

hope your feeling better today,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hope you're recovering OK Rick. Doesn't sound like a fun day yesterday.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Much better after a little more sleep. I believe it turned out to be shooting cactus after Showing it to a friend who's familiar with this cactus.

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

I know around here if one has to work where there is goat heads,(a nasty thorn bearing seed), sand burs and even cheat grass, we will put cardboard down on the ground or at least a trap, (the trap problems is they get in the tarp),

I never heard of shooting cactus,
          we mostly have prickly pear , and barrel cactus in the pastures, I have got most of the cactus away from the farm sted, and one small pasture area, I sprayed most of it and reduced it down considerable, where at one time we keep the horses, so they would not lay it in,
          Last edited by BHD; 07-24-2017, 09:15 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Should been at dinner with me while I was up town....
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
              PLUMBER RICK commented
              Editing a comment
              You are correct. sorry i missed it. just too far a drive and too much work. i guess now that i look at the outcome, i would have passed on the job and sat in traffic for 2-3 hours instead.

Thanks, next time for sure.

Rick.

Sounds good.
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

best cure for cactus is a torch (the kind you use to burn out weeds from a sidewalk)

not as bad as getting nailed by a porcupine!
              shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
              X