When drills attack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When drills attack

i was drilling overhead with a holehawg and a 4" hole saaw my first day working for a new company. the bit hit a nail and spun the drill around and got hit in the face. when i touched my burning lip i realised 4 teeth were through the skin and i could see them plain as day with my mouth closed, 4 years later i still have a full beard to hide the scars.
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Same thing happened to me when I was drilling 2 inch holes with a forsners bit and hit a bunch of nails. The right angle drill I was using had a lot of torque. Luckily I didnt get nocked off the ladder or drop the drill.

Speaking off.. I was doing my cousins house with the same drill. he was up the ladder and decided to lower the drill by the cord. Little did he know his dog was right below his ladder. Big goofy hound dog. He hit the dog right on the head and knocked it out. He felt pretty bad but the dog woke up and was fine. 2 weeks later the dog ran out in a 25 mph street and got hit. Was fine after that too

Josh
      Josh,

we love your twins
      so cute
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
        Same thing happened to me when I was drilling 2 inch holes with a forsners bit and hit a bunch of nails. The right angle drill I was using had a lot of torque. Luckily I didnt get nocked off the ladder or drop the drill.

Speaking off.. I was doing my cousins house with the same drill. he was up the ladder and decided to lower the drill by the cord. Little did he know his dog was right below his ladder. Big goofy hound dog. He hit the dog right on the head and knocked it out. He felt pretty bad but the dog woke up and was fine. 2 weeks later the dog ran out in a 25 mph street and got hit. Was fine after that too

Josh
        Josh,

we love your twins
        so cute

mrs.wc
        sigpic

Robert

Comment

I had an interesting "learning experience" with a drill last week.

I was stepping off a step ladder (with my hands full of tools of course) and I stepped right onto the trigger of my holehog that I had left laying there. It had a nice big auger bit in it which instantly wrapped up on leg of my jeans. It stopped when I lifted my foot, but it stopped with the trigger right under my foot.
          So there I was, one leg on the ladder, and holding the other leg up with a large drill dangling from it. Stranded & looking stupid. I had to yell for one of the other trades to come rescue me. No injury, just my pride.

I'm normally so good about picking up clutter in my work area too.......but this time I was thinking the job more than I was thinking the safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross Creek View Post
            I had an interesting "learning experience" with a drill last week.

I was stepping off a step ladder (with my hands full of tools of course) and I stepped right onto the trigger of my holehog that I had left laying there. It had a nice big auger bit in it which instantly wrapped up on leg of my jeans. It stopped when I lifted my foot, but it stopped with the trigger right under my foot.
            So there I was, one leg on the ladder, and holding the other leg up with a large drill dangling from it. Stranded & looking stupid. I had to yell for one of the other trades to come rescue me. No injury, just my pride.

I'm normally so good about picking up clutter in my work area too.......but this time I was thinking the job more than I was thinking the safety.
            Good story and good heads up for everyone who uses power tools. Even cordless tools can get you. I'm real careful when cleaning up an area and wanting to carry too much at one time. Almost got hurt a while back when my arms were full and the trigger in my 18volt Ridgid got depressed, put things down real quick!

Comment

I was 19 at the time and working for a company that was installing metal siding on a very large industrial project. We had a 1/2" drill with a 1/4" jobber length bit and a screw gun tied together at the ends of the cord and tied to an extension cord. Would had to drill a pilot hole in the steel and then run a screw in. One day I was pulling the drill and screw gun up to the next level and the drill hit some steel and locked the trigger on, now the drill is swinging around running wide open. Just as I reach out to get it, it swings around and catches on my jeans in the middle of my thigh and making its way for the jewels. It finaly started to rip my jeans and then I was able to tear the leg out of my pants. Bruised my leg black and purple for several weeks.

G3

Comment

I was drilling four 2x4 nailed together for electrical wiring with a 36v cordless with a 3/4" auger bit in it. My bit hit the nail in the last 2x4, so I reversed it and when I pressed the trigger the whole drill spun violently hitting me with the battery, right in the jaw, from below. My vision darkened for a sec but then came back. Battery hit the outside wall and there is a gouge from a siding nail. I didn't use the side handle.

it twisted my arms many times after that, even with a side handle.

Comment

Originally posted by DRC-Wartex View Post
                  I was drilling four 2x4 nailed together for electrical wiring with a 36v cordless with a 3/4" auger bit in it. My bit hit the nail in the last 2x4, so I reversed it and when I pressed the trigger the whole drill spun violently hitting me with the battery, right in the jaw, from below. My vision darkened for a sec but then came back. Battery hit the outside wall and there is a gouge from a siding nail. I didn't use the side handle.

it twisted my arms many times after that, even with a side handle.
                  A heavy duty corded or cordless impact wrench would not twist your hand or arm. I have drilled through solid 20" telephone poles with such drills in a matter of a minute or two. There is no need nowadays to have drills twist our hands or knock us off ladders.

Comment

Working...
                  X