X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Glasses - Goggles

I don't expect to see many of you reply, but please think about this if you happen to read it.

How many times have you forgot to put on proper eye protection when you know that you really should have? I know sometimes I forget and that kind of bothers me after thinking about what could have happened. Please remember that we can't just buy and install new eyes. One messup and that's it. We will never see the same again! When I see professionals that simply refuse to wear proper protection, I wonder why they have such little, or maybe no self respect. Far too many times I have seen power tool and machinery sales reps doing a demo (at trade shows or on TV) and not even trying to protect themself from dangers. This is really sending out the wrong message to people that see them.
    Last edited by Woussko; 01-08-2007, 07:52 AM.

I can't remember what I was working on at the time, but my wife made me buy safety goggles years ago and I've been using them regularly ever since.

Of course, sometimes it's not until I've been hit in the face but some flying bit that I remember to go get them... but I always go get them.

Comment

WW

I'm glad you do go get them, but try to get them before starting. Maybe your wife can tease-bait you. When you remember to put them on before starting a project, then she makes up a special dinner for you.

Comment

i was routing some pine last month and a know flew off and hit me smack in the googles - right where my left eye would have been. I ALWAYS wear eye protection, even if im only hanging a picture.

Comment

F P

Good for you. While I've never had it happen to me, I have heard of cases where nail or screw heads broke off and hit people in the face.

Comment

I have a pair of anti-fog safety goggles that I wear in the shower

Does that count ?

Seriously though, I have so many pairs of safety glasses laying around you would think that there are 6 or 7 people working on my home shop. I keep a couple pair on a shelf over the bench and others scattered around at various tools, that way if I take them off and leave them somewhere there is another pair close by. the easier it is to pick them up and put them on the more likely you will be to use them.

When I finish up for the day or when a couple pair get dirty, I take them inside and rinse the lenses off using a very small amount of liquid hand soap (or dish detergent) and blot them dry. I don't rub even with a soft cloth because that will scratch them. By cleaning the lenses every day or so they are always nice and clear, so I am not tempted to take them off to see some detail or what have you.

My neighbor (an white collar guy) used to jab me about wearing them when I was cutting the grass or using the string trimmer. Then he got something in his eye while trimming and I handed him a pair of glasses and some ear plugs. He won't work without them now.

I've repeated this quote from the Safety Chief in my SeaBee battalion here before. I don't know if he made it up or got it from someone else, but his favorite saying was;

"You can walk on a wooden leg, you can chew with false teeth, but you can't see with a glass eye. WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES."

Last edited by Bob D.; 01-11-2007, 06:04 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have a few pair in the shop and try to wear them. I alway wear them when swinging a hammer but I find that they fog up often when I am doing vigorous tasks. What do you guys do to keep yours from fogging?

Comment

Wayne, maybe try a different make or style. I have had some makes that fog up on me and they are a PITA (contractor is required to supply safety equipment on the jobsite, so you never know what you will get). Ones that are too close fitting and don't let your eyes 'breathe' so to speak are a pain to me. I then go back to a style that has worked for me in the past.

I find that keeping the lenses clean they don't fog as often. At work sometimes I clean them (as described above) once or twice a day (8 hrs). There are lens cleaners available with anti-fog agents in them.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Are you refering to "Splash" goggles or to "Impact" goggles. The ones that are just for impact protection can be purchased with tiny air holes so they breath. When I have to deal with lots of flying chips or such, I wear a full face shield with glasses.

Ventilated Goggles (impact protection only) See .JPG file

Here are a few links for companies that make eye protection products. Some pretty cool stuff to check out.

http://www.uvex.com/home.asp

http://www.aosafety.com/aosafety.com

http://www.northsafety.com (Once at their home page, select country and then follow menus)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Woussko; 01-09-2007, 02:47 AM.

Comment

"...anti-fog safety goggles that I wear in the shower "

"Are you refering to "Splash" goggles or to "Impact" goggles."

I was attempting to make a funny there maybe next time.
                    ---------------
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Well guys I do believe in safety glasses too, got quit a few of them, scattered all over so I should never have a problem finding one. However didn't wear ear plugs now I'm half deaf, been around saws and many other tools most of my life, now I regret not wearing them. Time to get some hearing aids now, and I'm only 44, so please do not forget ear plugs they are just as important.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Re: Safety Glasses - Goggles

I luck out i guess?? I wear glasses to begin with and now i have a pair of OSHA safety glasses prescription .Before that, the wife brings safety glasses home from the shop she works in. I have about 10 pair in the shop scattered also but now i use my prescription ones. What a nice upgrade. I can see near things but with the new glasses it's just WOW!

Comment

Sometimes I wear my prescription glasses (as needed) and do a face shield in front of them. It's a little bit of a PITA but also saves the prescription lenses from pitting when grinding dust flies about. Prescription safety glases are a good idea as it's just no good if we can't see well. I hope you made sure the frames meet the requirements of safety glasses.

Part 2: Even if someone is partly deaf, be sure to wear hearing protection. Try to save the hearing you have.

Comment

As a technical illustrator/writer, I tried to get into the shops at least a couple of times each week. So safety glasses were always a must. When my vision started to change, and the company would pay for safety glasses, I just got a pair prescribed for viewing close-up work and the computer screen.

Now that I'm retired, the company will still pay for a pair of safety glasses (w/side shields). So, over time I end up with several pair which are always handy.

For hearing protection, I like those little foam plugs. I can't hear the wife when she calls... but then again, it seems like I can't hear her, even without the plugs!!!

The dust mask is more of challenge with me. I have a resperator for painting and fine dust, but it too often fogs the glasses. I also keep several of the throw-away type masks, and although I most often wear them, I really don't like it.

CWS

Comment

I like using ear muffs in the shop. I also have some of the disposable plugs on hand though and use them sometimes and for visitors if needed.

At work we use the E.A.R. brand corded push-ins (below)

We used to use the foam plugs from the same company but these are much nicer. They fit better (more comfortably that is), and this helps to get people to use them more often without prompting. It's a PITA to have to remind your troops to put their hardhat on or use earplugs or wear their glasses, but if you don't then your butt is the one in the sling when they get hurt. If I'm gonna get reamed its gonna be for something I did, not some one else's stupidity.

The advantage to the corded plugs is you can take them out when not needed and leave them hanging around your neck. With the lose (non-corded) plugs where do you put them when you don't need them? In that nice clean pocket with all the sawdust and lint? Then that stuff sticks to the plug and you jam it in your ear next go around. Good way to get an ear infection I think. Anyway, muffs have a higher cost up front but in the long run will pay off. You can get a decent pair for about $20.00, -OR- you could save that $20 and put it toward hearing aid batteries later.
                              Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X