working safely

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working safely

many people do not consider on the job safety. in many states if you get hurt on the job and you were found that you were not working safe and broke osha regs the employer has the right not to pay your bills and the state can refuse to pay you workers comp.
    ive been takeing osha courses for 2 years and i recommend all of you go online and take the 10 hour osha construction course. it cost 109.00 but its worth it. your employer by law must supply you with safety gear and train you to use it. i wont go on any roof unless im wearing a harness and tied down. its not worth falling off a roof and being laid up for several months and not getting workers comp.
    hard hats. wear them on construction sites at all times. if you are in a tight area and must take it off osha requires that it must be next to you within reach. if they see you not wearing a hat your boss will face a 500.00 fine and you might not have a job.
    dont let your boss fool you. if you have had several employers youll find few even discuss job safety. thats because they dont care about you unless you get killed and osha fines them about 100,000.00 and your spouse files suit

Re: working safely

Originally posted by rabbit1954 View Post
    dont let your boss fool you. if you have had several employers youll find few even discuss job safety. thats because they dont care about you unless you get killed and osha fines them about 100,000.00 and your spouse files suit
    That's got to be one of the most foolish, off the wall and totally untrue statements that I've read in a long time.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

You're right Dave. All employers are required to establish and execute a safety program determined by the type work to be done. To say that employers don't care about the safety of the workers is just dumb.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I've never worked anywhere that my employer discussed job safety. Often I've been asked to do things that could compromise my safety. Some employers are good, some are not.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

"I've never worked anywhere that my employer discussed job safety."

Amazing.

It's amazing that there are still employers out there who have such little respect for their employees well-being.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

My business has weekly safety meetings, although monthly is all that our WC carriers require.

Comment

Like the sing says safety starts with you! I was with a Big Co that where all about Safety till something needed to be done that was not safe then it was ok. Me and my partner had words with a safety woman because she had never been to a OSAH class. I was with Co that thought safety was handing out Hard hats and never going back till a few guys got hurt then we where all about safety but by Friday safety was on the back burner.
              1. Where your Hard hat.
              2. Where the right boots.
              3. Safety Glass's I had a few things fished out of my eyes not fun.
              4. Lock out tag out. Learn it use it
              5. Cut up Srewed up cords It may piss off the boss but its better the OSAH Fines.
              6. If it don't look safe it most likely not.

Comment

I have a tendency to not stay at one company long - a couple years is generally my limit. I leave - quit - and sometimes I go back a few years later and sometimes not. So I have had a lot of experience with a lot of different employers. All the companies for which I have worked pay attention to safety. It has been my experience, in general, that if a marginally unsafe condition occurs the foreman goes in, and he will do all the work: not to be a hero but he wants to protect his men. If the condition is truly unsafe we do whatever is necessary to bring it into compliance with established safety protocols. Workers Comp. in New York State is very expensive and the experience rating increases as claims are submitted. The employer for which I now work pays out of his pocket for days off when the injury is minor. It is cheaper for him to pay the employees than to have his WC rates increase. That said, this company has a strong safety orientation, no accidents in a number of years.

I wonder if there are statistics available as to time of accidents. In thinking back it seems that most of the accidents I have witnessed or been involved with have occured either very early or very late in the work day. I am sure that substance abuse, while not acknowledged as a contributing factor, plays a big part in morning accidents. The guy is hung-over or worse. I suspect fatigue is a contributing factor to later day accidents.

Comment

Wow, I had one of my sons get electrocuted on the job and OSHA only fined them $2500.00.

I can't imagine what it would take to make OSHA fine someone $100,000.00.
                  Last edited by PhilG.; 09-02-2007, 06:28 AM. Reason: typo
                  Phil
                  Tools Rule

Comment

"I wonder if there are statistics available as to time of accidents. In thinking back it seems that most of the accidents I have witnessed or been involved with have occured either very early or very late in the work day. I am sure that substance abuse, while not acknowledged as a contributing factor, plays a big part in morning accidents. The guy is hung-over or worse. I suspect fatigue is a contributing factor to later day accidents."

Probably the best place to find this info would be the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics, www.bls.gov ) .

Another source would be The Electronic Library of Construction Occupational Safety and Health which provides user-friendly information from a wide range of sources: www.eLCOSH.org. CPWR (Center to Protect Workers Rights www.cpwr.com ) developed and maintains the site, with support from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Look at The Construction Chart Book, this pub has some great graphics for safety training presentations. http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0100.../contents.html Scroll down to item #33 where the safety related stuff starts, but look it all over, you'll find some interesting data in those charts and the accompanying text.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 09-02-2007, 07:04 AM.
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG. View Post
                      Wow, I had one of my sons get electrocuted on the job and OSHA only fined them $2500.00.

I can't imagine what it would take to make OSHA fine someone $100,000.00.
                      I did some research on OSHA and fines for a presentation I gave in school a couple years ago. The initial fines are not that high, at least not what I think would be equitable to the infraction cited. After investigation and many months OHSA will hand down their fine which most times is less than the initial fine. The violator can appeal and even plea bargain for reduced fines after the decision has handed down, and many times the fines are further reduced to 10% of the initial penalty. Only when it can be proved that the violation was willful and a repeat violation -OR- there was a death involved is the perpetrator likely to get a fine that actually imposes a true penalty on them in terms of money. Rarely does a company officer or representative go to jail.

OSHA has no B@lls, or they are so influenced or controlled by political oversight and big business that they are for the most part ineffective or of little threat to employers.

Here's one story that illustrates my point.
                      Atlantic City, New Jersey: 4 workers killed, 21 injured in construction collapse
                      http://www.wsws.org/articles/2003/no...-n05_prn.shtml

Engineering News Record
                      Missing Connections to Wall May Have Weakened Garage 11/17/2003
                      http://enr.construction.com/news/saf...ves/031117.asp

In my paper I looked at Bechtel, and I looked at a particular time in history when George Shultz had just left the DOL and went to work for Bechtel. Was it any surprise that during that time (and later when he left Bechtel and was appointed as U.S. Sec. of State by Reagan) that Bechtel who had a number of multi-billion dollar projects under way appeared to receive favorable treatment (based on my research)? Why did investigations of incidents take years to go before the bench only to be postponed again by appeals or dismissed altogether with a smack on the wrist and minimal fine?

Comment

I conduct a weekly safety meeting. If someone is absent from the meeting then I have them make it up. I also give a written quiz about 75 percent of the time. I seems to help the employees pay a little better attention.

Comment

Working...
                        X