Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Get in a Hurry With Power Tools

I didn't get hurt, but could have.

Yesterday I was using my jig saw to modify existing shelving in a pantry. The work involved cutting 24" deep shelves down to 15" which included cutting through the wood supports as well. The shelves were nailed to the supports and I hit a nail on the first one. So I decided to cut the shelf to the support, switch to a metal blade to get through the support, then put the wood blade back in to the next support. Sounded like a plan.

A corner closet with two supports per side, so there were four supports per shelf. Four levels of shelving makes 16 supports to cut through. 32 blade changes. Each time I got to a support I'd just pop the wood blade out, put the metal blade in, saw through the support, pop the metal blade out, put the wood blade back in, and go to the next one. This was a lot of handling the saw, flipping it over, switching hands, etc. It was getting late, I was getting hungry, and I wanted to finish the job (not have to go back).

The wood blade was a Bosch T244D, fairly aggressive, teeth like razor barbs (awesome blade). My Bosch saw has a blade quick release mechanism, and to install, the blade is pushed into the jaws until it snaps in. This requires a firm grip and some force. At one point during blade switching as I was placing the blade in the jaws with one hand, I noticed how close my thumb on the other hand was to the ON/OFF switch. I actually got a rush (chills) wondering what my fingers would look like if I'd hit the switch while holding the blade...

Pic attached for clarity (re-enactment ).

- djb
    Attached Files
    sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Re: Don't Get in a Hurry With Power Tools

djb

Good post and I hope it serves as a reminder.

To all tool users, before changing blades or drill bits PULL THE PLUG FIRST.

A quick question: How do you like/don't like your Bosch Jigsaw overall, and is that a 1590EVSK model?
    Last edited by Woussko; 02-26-2007, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      How do you like/don't like your Bosch Jigsaw overall, and is that a 1590EVSK model?
      It is the 1590EVSK, and I'm very pleased with it. The blade quick release is a great feature. And the Bosch blades I've used are excellent, too.

The only negative comment I have about the saw, and this is relevant to my story above, is that when the ON/OFF trigger switch is pushed, the saw doesn't start up by easing into a low RPM from a dead start like other saws I've had and used. Instead this Bosch spikes to a high RPM when it starts. Actually I believe it's the switch: it takes some pressure to engage the switch, so it sorta clicks ON, and as a result the saw starts operating at some midpoint in the variable speed range. (Incidentally, there is a variable speed adjustment knob on the back of the saw that adjusts the total range of RPM that the switch operates in. Another nice feature.) I went back and checked another saw in the store and it did the same thing. This sudden high-start RPM was difficult for me to get used to, but it doesn't affect the operation of the saw once it's running. After the saw starts, the switch can be eased back to a lower RPM, and all is well.

So in my story above, if I'd hit the switch, the blade would have spiked to a very high RPM.

My overall review would be this is a great saw and I'd buy it again. But I expect Bosch to change the design of this "clicking" on ON/OFF switch.

- djb

Technically, these are SPMs (strokes per minute), not RPMs...
      Last edited by djb; 02-26-2007, 09:36 AM. Reason: SPM comment
      sigpic

A Democracy is 2 wolves and 1 sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

Restore the Republic.

Comment

My hands have had more stitches go through them than a baseball mit.

Everytime I've injured myself its been when the hurry switch was in the on position.

Comment

I've seen a guy take his thumb off so clean with a Bosch, that he didn't realise anything was wrong, suddenly he thought that someone was making a real mess all over his work! All they did at the hospital, was to stitch the skin closed!

Comment

Working...
          X