Maglite Led Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mag lite Led Upgrade

Finally the folks at mag-lite have entered the LED world! I have a myriad of LED/Luxeon led flashlights from 1w to 5w.

BUT.. The new 3w AA mag-lite is excellent. I found it at Lowe's for $22.00
    It has a focus-able beam. It will run for many hours on two AA batteries.

The new light though is slightly longer than the well known AA mag-lite.
    I have a few of those too but added terralux 1w modules in them and I have not changed batteries in over a year! Yes I use them too!

The new 3w mag-lite does throw a nice white beam. As some of you know some LED lights, earlier produced luxeon leds, and imitations are known to throw anything from blue, purple or green hued light.
    The 3w mag-lite is "white"

Cactus Man

Comment

Re: Maglite Led Upgrade

I went for the Maglite upgrade kits for 2 D and 4 D cell flashlight. They do make a nice slightly blue white light and a good shaped spot. As for battery life I have not yet tried any A-B tests. I got them mostly because of the big difference in light output and quality of light.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilG. View Post
        I can't believe that anyone calls a MagLite "trusty". I have a drawer of them that don't work. They are just toys, however they do make a fair club! (but there are better clubs even)

Do yourself a favor and get a Pelican or a Streamlight or a SureFire and you'll have a good, dependable light.

I have carried a mini-MagLite at work for over 15 years (the same one), and it has not failed me. Yes, I have had bulbs burn out but never a problem with the workings of the light itself. It's been dropped down through two levels of grating to the lower elevation concrete floor and except for the bulb it works fine.

I have a 5D MagLite that I keep in the truck that I bought in 1981. I had to clean the battery compartment because I left the batteries in too long once but other than that it has been flawless. It stays in the truck all year long, heat, cold, whatever. I replaced the batteries once a year now (learned my lesson) and it keeps on ticking.

I also have a streamlight rechargeable that I keep in the other truck and it has been a great performer also.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          I went for the Maglite upgrade kits for 2 D and 4 D cell flashlight. They do make a nice slightly blue white light and a good shaped spot. As for battery life I have not yet tried any A-B tests. I got them mostly because of the big difference in light output and quality of light.
          I did the LED conversion on my 3 D cell Maglite and with rechargeable NIMH batteries it stayed well lit for just about 24 hours. Amazing! For the price the Maglite is a well made instrument. I also did the terralux 3watt upgrade on my AA mini mag and it is now a very powerful flashlight providing several hours of brilliant light. However anyone interested in a truly small and extremely powerful LED flashlight should check out the Olight T-20. 160 lumens, five levels of light output, runs on 123A 3 volt batteries. I got the rechargeable ones from Battery Junction.com.

Comment

For any of you interested in battery testing and/or the finer points of flashlight technology,
            visit www.candlepowerforums.com and take your time as there is information overload.

I made the mistake of going there years ago and now own dozens of flashlights,
            most are custom built or DIY pocket flame throwers.

There is more info on battery technology and chemistries there than you will ever care to know.

Those who are addicted to shiny gadgets should approach with caution and sew your wallets shut!

Once a person realizes that flashlights are definately a tool, and an enhancement to one of your six senses, (remember it gets dark every night), it becomes apparent that the Maglite is just an entry level flashlight or a host for further modification.

During your next Home Depot visit, stop at the flashlight rack and check out the
            Coast Led Lenser. This is a led with a focusing optic using 3AAA cells. The price will make
            most of you choke but I use this daily and would not think of giving it up.

I never ever leave the house without 2 working light sources, one being a key chain light.

I mean, how much is it worth to be able to see when you need to?

Comment

When you need a real blaster here is one to check out. This is one wild light. The video demo doesn't do it right. I got to try one for real at a fire equipment dealer lighting up a dark hallway. Next to the older LightBox this is like WOW.
              http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=128

Warning: Keep wallet locked up in your car or truck. This is not cheap.

Comment

Quick question, I have 6D batteries maglite and would like to replace the bulb with led one but they do not sell one for 6D. Can I use led bulb for 3D or 4D flashlite? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by stpete View Post
                  Quick question, I have 6D batteries maglite and would like to replace the bulb with led one but they do not sell one for 6D. Can I use led bulb for 3D or 4D flashlite? Thanks.
                  Click on this link. http://www.batteryjunction.com/maglite6c.html

Comment

Originally posted by gfezz View Post

During your next Home Depot visit, stop at the flashlight rack and check out the
                    Coast Led Lenser. This is a led with a focusing optic using 3AAA cells. The price will make
                    most of you choke but I use this daily and would not think of giving it up.
                    I bought a couple of the coast led flashlights on clearance at home depot a few months ago for 15 bucks each.I carry one all the time awesome light bright small easy to carry in a pocket batteries last a very long time and so far seems to be very durable.

Comment

i got one of the new 2 aa mag led flashlight and i love it it is 2 times as bright as the first led light they had
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

HVAC HAWK

Does your's have the fancy switching feature where you can select Bright, Dim, Slow Flashing and SOS flashing? I picked up one and like it a lot, but would be just as happy to have just the bright light with on/off. I keep having to remember to leave it off about 15 seconds so it resets back to bright. For it's size it is a little powerhouse. If you don't mind extra length sometime try the newest 3AA LED model.

2AA LED - http://www.brightguy.com/products/Mi...ode_Switch.php

3AA LED - http://www.brightguy.com/products/Mi...Flashlight.php

Comment

I haven't had any problems with maglights, but then again mine see light (no pun intended) duty, except when I'm in that hell known as the crawl space.

I put the LED bulb in my 4D light. I don't like the slight bluish tint as well as the regular bulb. But I'm hoping the batteries will last longer. It seems just as bright to me... at least it's bright enough.
                          Last edited by Andy_M; 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Ive always been a fan of Mag. I bought an LED conversion for my 4D Mag light. I ordered it on line at LED Flashlight It was about $30, but its as clear and bright as could be. The batteries also seem to last quite a bit longer.

Comment

I put the Maglite LED upgrade in my 3 D cell Maglite last year and on a set of rechargeable NIMH D cells it will run for just over 24 hours. The LED upgrade is well worth the investment in my opinion and it sure does run longer. Nice to know the bulb won't burn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                                I put the Maglite LED upgrade in my 3 D cell Maglite last year and on a set of rechargeable NIMH D cells it will run for just over 24 hours. The LED upgrade is well worth the investment in my opinion and it sure does run longer. Nice to know the bulb won't burn out.
                                It is a nice improvement for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X