CPR & 1st Aid Certs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CPR & 1st Aid Certs

The only thing to remember about the good samaritan act or law is to get permission from the victim if he is awake or conscious. If unconcious it is assumed permission was given. You can't perform firstaid on someone who has refused. Another thing is not to try to do more3 than you were trained to do. If you do something you were not trained to do you can be sued.

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
      i refresh and upgrade, as necessary, every 2 years max. CPR (infant, adolescent, & adult), medic/1st aid/1st responder, EAD, and O2 provider. when i was a SCUBA instuctor i taught most of these classes.

if you've got the gear O2 & EAD are the best, with a firm background in 1st responce.

steve
      Actually, it's AED - Automated External Defibrillator.

Comment

Originally posted by bigboots44 View Post
        The only thing to remember about the good samaritan act or law is to get permission from the victim if he is awake or conscious. If unconcious it is assumed permission was given. You can't perform firstaid on someone who has refused. Another thing is not to try to do more3 than you were trained to do. If you do something you were not trained to do you can be sued.
        Good advice. As the name implies, I'm a Training Officer for a Search & Rescue unit. It's funny to see when people try to make out like they're Doogie Howser, MD, and try to go far beyond the scope of their capabilities. I was once asked by a person who didn't yet even have their basic Standard First Aid level up to snuff, about when we were going to learn to properly do a tracheostomy!

Comment

Try this online site:
          www.firstaidweb.com
          It has info plus an online test to get certified. You can print your CPR and First Aid certificates from your computer. I believe it cost around $25.00 each. It doesn't take the usual 8 hours that a place like the Red Cross class does.

Comment

Originally posted by cdia1960 View Post
            Try this online site:
            www.firstaidweb.com
            It has info plus an online test to get certified. You can print your CPR and First Aid certificates from your computer. I believe it cost around $25.00 each. It doesn't take the usual 8 hours that a place like the Red Cross class does.
            Actually, IMHO, that is one of the WORST ideas I have ever heard of. With something as potentially vital and important as CPR & First Aid, there should be no easy-do-it-yourself-online / self-taught thing, such as this stupid idea of a webpage. It takes a knowledgeable and competent instructor to physically monitor you to ensure that the techniques are being performed correctly. If anyone that I deal/dealt with had taken a course such as this, I would probably tear up the certificate right there and then.

I do not think that anyone should fall prey to this cash grab of a webpage. It states that certificates are "issued in exclusive partnership with National Health and Safety Foundation", which, to my knowledge, is not a universally recognized accreditative body. [Interestingly enough, this foundation doesn't seem to have any webpage - all I found for it when googled is a business link for an address in New Zealand. It could be a shadow postal box for all anyone knows, and does not seem like a proper accreditation.] This webpage also states that "All Basic Life Support procedures demonstrated in this free online course adhere to the same guidelines as the American Red Cross® and The American Heart Association". Just because it adheres to the same guidelines doesn't mean diddley squat. I can say I can teach someone to fly a plane (of which I have no knowledge of whatsoever), and that just because I "adhere to the same guidelines" as a proper FAA/Transport Canada recognized training program, it should be considered good?! Nope. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

It's kind of like a brain surgeon learning what to do, taking 7 to 10 years of schooling, all online through a webpage such as this, with no instructor interaction, and no in-class oversight of proper application of the requisite techniques. Would you want a doctor such as this operating on your brain, or on the brain of your loved ones? Likely not.

There's a reason why this webpage should be obliterated. Many workplaces, schools, etc., require you to take an accredited Standard First Aid / CPR course. If you notice on their paperwork, it usually states that it must be a course from/through St. John Ambulance or Red Cross or Heart & Stroke Association [Canada] or The American Heart Association. These courses must be taken through them, or given by a private business that is a trained and recognized instructor by one of these oversight bodies, and can grant an actual recognized certificate through one of these entities. From what I was able to gather from this webpage, it does not.

And this webpage, in it's FAQ, basically states that it's okay to take the course through this little webpage, because you'd be covered under the Good Samaritan law if anything bad were to happen. Well, that's not entirely accurate. You're covered under the Good Samaritan law if something bad happens, but you did the best you could to the best of your ability... and according to the skills/training you were given from an accredited/recognized training program/course. And this webpage is not from what I can gather. So, you don't take a proper recognized course to learn these skills, and you take it from this webpage instead, and you end up applying these skills incorrectly and someone dies - say hello to your new friend "Multi-million-dollar Lawsuit", and even "Potential Jailtime".

A bad idea. BAD.

Comment

wow, an online cpr cert does sound like a Bad idea.
              That said, I need to get mine renewed. When I lived in NC I did night classes and got my EMT basic certification, was a fun class, and the state picks up most of the tab. I think all said and done it cost me around 150 bucks for the class and the books.
              The biggest investment was in time, 2 nights a week for nearly 6 months. But I learned a lot, and... ermm, that certification also expires this april.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonrocks7
                If I already know the material, why should I have to drive to and sit in an 8 hour class?
                I'll say again - a bad idea. Bad. It doesn't matter if you think you already know the material - unless you're a doctor, or you've taken a Standard First Aid course at least a dozen times before, you need to go and sit in an actual classroom and learn the stuff. Generally, standard first aid accreditations are good for three years - I highly doubt that you remember every last thing effectively enough, when it's likely that you don't use it every day, or even every month for that matter. You need to sit in a class and have an instructor observe your actual techniques, to ensure you're doing everything correctly. It's also so that the accrediting body can be assured that you actually know the stuff - not sitting at home on your computer, unobserved, and just copying-and-pasting stuff from an old textbook or something like that. Also, things change - repetition numbers, techniques, treatments, etc.; being in a classroom ensures that you learn the new stuff adequately.

Originally posted by jasonrocks7
                I should also mention that I have researched this issue of accreditation. None of these First Aid or CPR certification companies accredit one another. They are all competitors - every company from the American Heart Association to the American Red Cross to every other online certification program. The implication that there is some national accrediting body that needs to accredit one of these companies before they are legitimate is a myth. Such a body does not exist.
                Well, there is a universal/national issue of accreditation. All CPR courses have to meet ILCOR and AHA (American Heart Association) guidelines in the U.S., and in Canada, it's the "Heart & Stroke Foundation" and ILCOR guidelines also. All courses have to be designed to meet this governing body's standards, and are revised and updated accordingly.

ILCOR [the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (2005 Consensus Conference on Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care Science)] members include the Australian Resuscitation Council, the American Heart Association, the European Resuscitation Council, the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada, the Inter-American Heart Foundation, the New Zealand Resuscitation Council, and the Resuscitation Council of Southern Africa.

ILCOR / AHA / H&S / etc. does not "accredit" any of the service provider companies (Red Cross, St. John Ambulance, etc.), but the companies are instead pre-onused to meet these standards in setting up their programs. Similar to how Underwriters' Laboratories don't "endorse" a given product, but that product still does have to meet the UL standards (and sometimes "approval") to be eligible to be sold. That's sort of the same idea.

Comment

Apparently, jasonrocks7's posts have been removed by him - there goes that side of the argument/discussion.

Comment

Working...
                  X