WARNING - Bank of America - WARNING

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WARNING - Bank of America - WARNING

If any of you do business with Bank of America and receive an e-mail that sure looks official where it asks you to click a link and update your info, do NOT under any conditions click on that link. It is NOT from BOA. Is is a hacker's making.

Re: WARNING - Bank of America - WARNING

For the So. Cal folks, Downey Savings is having the same thing going around.
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the warning. I also see similar scams about my PayPal account.

Comment

Well as a general rule no institution will ever email you asking you to update any info. If they do it's always a scam. That applies to credit cards, banks, paypal, ebay, pretty much anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
          Well as a general rule no institution will ever email you asking you to update any info. If they do it's always a scam. That applies to credit cards, banks, paypal, ebay, pretty much anything.
          Exactly! It is a pretty old scam . Just like all the others, you won the forign national lottery,or, the " hi im so an so from a small country and somehow have millions if you give me your bank info ill sent it all and you can have 1/2 " type crap . Fools fall for this stuff and they get what they deserve. These are all widely known scams. To put up a "warning" about a bank because you got a scam email , makes it sound like they had somthing to do with it. Did you fall for it and are now wanting to blame them for it?
          Bank of America had nothing to do with it , nor can they keep someone from falling for these scams. So the warning should be , I got an email wanting my banking info back by email, if any .Not -WARNING Bank of America WARNING. IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
            Thanks for the warning. I also see similar scams about my PayPal account.
            PayPal hit us up as well,Thanks for the warning guys.

Comment

I used to get these almost weekly for ebay and paypal.

Comment

Update on BOA Warning

It had their logo and sure looked real. I didn't fall for it and didn't click the link. My account manager said that a good many seniors did fall for it and now BOA is busy changing account numbers and such. DAMN Hackers

Comment

The obvious advice is to never reply to anything from ANYONE that requests any personal information. If you think it is legitimate, contact the source through one of YOUR links....either their website you have bookmarked or their phone number.

Having said that, I've never got one of these that wasn't obviously a fake. It is easy to see a fake because when you right click on the link they have imbedded and check the properties the actual address will be wrong. It is often something like, http://www.centuryweb.com/practical/...field/ebay.com. Note the base URL does not look anything like Ebay. I've never seen these cons go as far as to purchase a URL name.

Comment

PLEASE do not visit those sites or click the links in the emails!!! If your bank needs information from you, they will send you a letter instructing you to go to the branch where you can update your information. They will never do so in an email!

The links can be constructed VERY artfully using special colors in the url that will make it look like your bank's URL, but it'll take you to someplace else. Using white letters in the URL to disguise the redirection is a common practice. The best practice is to report those emails to your bank, as well as to the DOJ. The website http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/...s/idtheft.html has some very good information as well.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

This is a little quiz site by McAfee to see how good you are at spotting scams:
                      http://www.siteadvisor.com/quizzes/phishing_0707/

Comment

Update

I get those hacker e-mail from people faking eBay and PayPal. If you get any please forward them to Soof@ebay.com or Spoof@paypal.com as the case my be. They want them so they can track down trouble makers and take legal action. As others have said NEVER respond or click links on such e-mail. They are the working of evil hackers.

Comment

Sadly I had someone hack my Ebay password from me last month.

Then he used my account to post 200 items for auction. Mostly new DVD movies for $20 less than everyone else.

Ebay caught him and cancelled the auctions before I even knew about it.

Apparently they know that I only use my account to purchase tools and not sell discount DVDs. Pretty cool.

Luckily I keep a super duper secret password for my PayPal account or my bank account would have been toast

Comment

PC

Let your account manager at your bank (Please do this by phone or in person) know you have a PayPal account. He/she can set you up with a special bank account that will not be tied into your other accounts. Then don't keep all that much $$$ in it. Most major banks have overdaft protection in case you get hacked. I'm glad eBay got the hacker. Now if the hackers could just see the business end of a custom made 4 x 12ga where 2 are rock salt and 2 are slugs.....

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                              PLEASE do not visit those sites or click the links in the emails!!! If your bank needs information from you, they will send you a letter instructing you to go to the branch where you can update your information. They will never do so in an email!

The links can be constructed VERY artfully using special colors in the url that will make it look like your bank's URL, but it'll take you to someplace else. Using white letters in the URL to disguise the redirection is a common practice. The best practice is to report those emails to your bank, as well as to the DOJ. The website http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/...s/idtheft.html has some very good information as well.
                              GUYS...DON'T click that...sorry Sandy...I got a prompt from my firewall that it was attempting to install something.

Comment

Working...
                              X