X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you ready for power failures?

Part 1. At home and at work are you ready for power failures? What have you done to get ready for them? Besides lighting, try to think about food storage, having drinking water (especially if you're on a well system) and comfort such as heat in the winter and fresh moving air in the summer.

Part 2. When is the last time you made sure your car or truck has a good working flashlight with fresh cells (batteries) in it and a spare bulb either in the tail cap or somewhere you can get and install it quick as needed?

Part 3. At home do you have any fire extinguishers which you check and make sure they are ready just in case you need one fast?
    Last edited by Woussko; 08-01-2007, 12:47 AM.

Re: Are you ready for power failures?

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    Part 1. At home and at work are you ready for power failures? What have you done to get ready for them? Besides lighting, try to think about food storage, having drinking water (especially if you're on a well system) and comfort such as heat in the winter and fresh moving air in the summer.

Part 2. When is the last time you made sure your car or truck has a good working flashlight with fresh cells (batteries) in it and a spare bulb either in the tail cap or somewhere you can get and install it quick as needed?

Part 3. At home do you have any fire extinguishers which you check and make sure they are ready just in case you need one fast?
    1. I'm not as ready as I'd like to be. I'd love to have a dedicated backup gererator. I keep two deep-cycle marine batteries fully charged and two power inverters stored with them. Won't power much, but it's better than nothing. We always have a few cases of bottled water. We buy a lot whenver it's a good sale.
    2. I actually check the flashlights in both vehicles whenever I change the oil. Plus, the wifes car has one of those little wind up flashlights, just in case.
    3.Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, hall closet (centrally located in the house), one at both exits of the garage/woodshop, both cars have them as well. I check them the same time I change batteries in the smoke detecors (each time change).
    No, I'm not "safety anal" but probably should be more prepared than I am.
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

We are sometimes without power for days after an earthquake so I keep some flashlights, hurricane lamps and backup 12-volt batteries but I have taken all of my generators up to Utah.

We actually get along pretty well without power but without water it would be tough. I guess that makes plumbers more important than electricians.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I am fairly confident we could survive for a week or more without power, depends on how full the car and truck tanks are at the time. I always have a minimum of 6 gal on hand but if I had to start siphoning I have a potential of close to 75 gal between the vehicles and toys. I have a 6000W generator that will run everything with the exception of AC. We have a 325G propane tank for heat and hot water, we are on a well so if I have power I have water. Lots of food for weeks, I think anyone with a Costco membership has a fair bit of extra food in the house.
        At work we are a backup site for others, we are on two separate grid feeds and fully backed up by diesel gen with ridiculous amounts of fuel storage.
        Vehicles have mag lights (with pack of 4 spare batteries) and lights that run off the accessory outlet (cig lighter)
        We have 3 extinguishers but none in the cars, always meant to get them but never have, should have one on the tractor too.
        First aid/emergency kits in all vehicles and house and shop.

Comment

one is never as ready as one wants to be,

but for water, I have two windmills both able to feed the storage tank at the house, the storage tank is a 9000 gallon tank that will gravity feed the farm,
          one mill is about 1/2 mile from the house.

I have kerosene pressurized lanterns for lighting, have aladdin lamps, and led battery powered flashlights and lanterns.

I have two generators, one is a 30kw three phase unit, ( to run walk in cooler and freezer in case I have a beef in the meat room), and the other is 4kw small portable unit, (also have a roto converter so I can do the freezer with single phase), both units will run on gasoline or on propane, and have a 1000 gallon tank at the generator shed,

have a wood stove for heat back up and supplement,
          we have a gas range that will work with out electricity even the oven, (rare on the newer units),

propane hot water heaters in the house and the barn,

have enough canning supplies to can the frozen stuff if it looks like it going to be long term,

in 77 we had a ice storm and the farm was with out power for over 30 days, and you learn a lot? by that time the farm had been electrified and the windmills had been sold and the water storage system had been destroyed, and all the pre power items had been done away with.

I still have the submersible pump under the windmill cylinder and can set up for either windmill or power or a system of both, (electric pumping into storage).

some day want to get a LP refrigerator for the barn (milk room) I have an old electric now.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
            I am fairly confident we could survive for a week or more without power, depends on how full the car and truck tanks are at the time. I always have a minimum of 6 gal on hand but if I had to start siphoning I have a potential of close to 75 gal between the vehicles and toys. I have a 6000W generator that will run everything with the exception of AC. We have a 325G propane tank for heat and hot water, we are on a well so if I have power I have water. Lots of food for weeks, I think anyone with a Costco membership has a fair bit of extra food in the house.
            At work we are a backup site for others, we are on two separate grid feeds and fully backed up by diesel gen with ridiculous amounts of fuel storage.
            Vehicles have mag lights (with pack of 4 spare batteries) and lights that run off the accessory outlet (cig lighter)
            We have 3 extinguishers but none in the cars, always meant to get them but never have, should have one on the tractor too.
            First aid/emergency kits in all vehicles and house and shop.
            Note to self,

In case of emergency......................................... ...................................... "Go to Wayne's house"

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Note to self,

In case of emergency......................................... ...................................... "Go to Wayne's house"
              Without a doubt.....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Waynes house sounds like a good option, although a bit far from me.

Here, in the wilds of Painted Post, we keep enough food and water for a week or so. Back-up power for the ham-radio equipment for three or four days (not taking into consideration the power take-off from the two cars) and I usually keep the gas tanks above half full.

In addition, there's plenty of emergency lights, candles, and even auxiliary heat.

But, if the power were out beyond the three or four day "planned for" period, we'd have to consider temporarily moving.

Painted Post has been hit with floods a couple of times, and our electrical power distribution seems to be quite week. We loose power about once a year on average, but it's rarely more than a few hours.

While Painted Post is a nice peaceful place where you know the police and fire guys by thier first name, our next home will be in a city. While that has it's great points, there are some other challenges that must be addressed with regards to safety. While I plan on looking seriously at some solar power and a small generator for short term emergencies, one must also face the fact that with any long-term collapse of services (like in New Orleans), there are other concerns. If you are one of the few who are prepared, then you'll stick out like a beacon... and possibly have to resort to defending your position. I'd really rather NOT be put in that situation, so having a more remote point that you can evacuate too needs to be a viable option.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                X