X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ladder and Safety

is the guy in woussko's middle photo acyually working on an electrical connection atop a metal ladder sitting in water? unbelievable!
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

is the guy in woussko's middle photo actually working on an electrical connection atop a metal ladder sitting in water? unbelievable!
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Finer + Finer

YES. That's what the fool is doing. These pictures are what not to do with a ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
          any ideas on how to tie off on a roof when there is no loop allready there. tieng off to a tin chimney doesnt work they pull appart i found today. i want to solve this problem before winter here. no local guys seem to tie off. are ther any systems out there that are a quick install?
          I dont know what to use, but I would NOT tie off to a vehicle http://www.snopes.com/autos/mishaps/roofman.asp Its not said whether it has happened, but I can definitely see how it could

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
            any ideas on how to tie off on a roof when there is no loop allready there. tieng off to a tin chimney doesnt work they pull appart i found today. i want to solve this problem before winter here. no local guys seem to tie off. are ther any systems out there that are a quick install?

it seems silly wo walk up to the peak of an icy roof to tie on whrn im workin 5 feet from the edge then wialk up to unclip. allot more walking on the roof untied.

please help my back still hurts from falling off the roof of the house and onto the garage. plus the owner made me replace a bulb that broke from my impact the filiment fell apart, salt in the wound
            In this case I would use either roof jacks or ladder hooks.

Roof jacks take a few minutes to install but they're worth it.

Ladder hooks are quick and easy, but your movements are limited to up and down. May suit you if you're working in one spot.

Hope this helps
            Cheers! - Jim
            -------------
            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldPlumber
              The third picture I see no problem with. Sure he has the ladder in the pool/water but they how are you supose to reach right above pools and fountains?
              just some advice ,if you are going to post dumb replays then go to a jokers site and do it because you dont impress any one here
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                just some advice ,if you are going to post dumb replays then go to a jokers site and do it because you dont impress any one here
                Any one else I would probably go off on. But this guy, let him up there on the ladder.
                sigpic

Comment

speaking of ladder saftey have you seen those "steady Yeddys" a www.theyacshack.com those things rock! its kinda like a step ladder only its not a step ladder, its gat a support for your upper body built in to it my brother bought me one after I took a header cleaning my trailer

Comment

Interesting, thanks.

Comment

This is a repost from another thread from a few years back but as this is about ladder safety it seemed appropriate. This ladder accident happen just 6-months after mt kidney transplant so just when I figured I would get back into the swing of things things got 10 times worst.

My daughter bought a new to her home which needed a repipe amongst other things. My daughter and her husband are young and the only way for them to purchase a nice two story home in Santa Clarita is to do it with a lot of sweat equity.

Once they bought the home they found out the previous owner had added a second layer of drywall on the ceiling to hide all of the water stains from leaking pipes. The entire first floor ceiling came out and I went by to layout where he needed to drill for the new pipes.

After the holes were drilled and materials delivered I stopped by one night to check it out. I showed him what additional work he needed to do and I instructed him to start setting the pipes into the joist space. While there I happened to notice my son-in-law had a brand new flimsy as heck fiberglass A-Frame ladder he had just bought from Home Depot.

I am big into ladder safety and have always used the 300 pound rated Little Giant ladders. Many a times I’ve leaned off the side of a Little Giant to saw cut a wall A/C though stucco with a 15-amp Milwaukee saw and not worried about any ladder flex. As such I told my son-in-law to throw away his new ladder and go get a couple of my Little Giant ladders to work with. I explained to him how easy it would be to get hurt on a ladder which could flex.

Moving a month ahead I went back to check on the job and my son-in-law had not gotten much done and what he had done was off a little. I decided I would help him out a little by relocating some of the pipes he had started with. The pipes were not soldered but were held in place with Acusto-Plumb isolators. I looked around and the only ladder at the house was his Home Depot ladder.

I climbed a few steps up on the ladder and gave a tug on the pipe. As the pipe was still tightly held by the isolator it would not come out. I gave a bigger tug and the pipe broke loose just as I heard the ladder legs shift. As I was still holding the pipe my legs swung into the ladder on my way to the ground.

As I lay on the ground I assessed what I thought was wrong with me. It appeared I may have popped my knee out of joint so I spent the next hour trying to get off the ground so my daughter could drive me to the hospital. After an hour I gave up and let her call the ambulance.

As it turned out I broke my tibia in two places, my fibula in one, crushed my knee plateau, shattered my shoulder and broke my clavicle all on the right side. The first few surgeons told me there was not enough to fix. Finally my friend who happened to be an Orthopedic Surgeon with privileges at the hospital heard about it and came by. He told me he could fix it but I would need a bunch of surgeries over the next 15-years.

The initial surgery went better than anyone could have hoped. I ended up with two metal plates and a half-a-dozen 3” screws holding my leg together. I spent 6-months in a wheel chair, two months on crutches and another month with a cane to end up with a leg which was twisted and bent. Now after 5-months of dragging a dead leg behind me I finally had my knee replaced and leg straightened out last week (now 2-years ago). My buddy the surgeon says he thinks this time all will be great. I’m dragging my butt around with a walker but I’ve been told in 16-weeks I should be at 100%.

The point of my story is the accident was such a simple mistake on a ladder which I had already warned another about how dangerous it could be. The older we get the harder it is for our bodies to heal. If I was still working in the field, this would have been a career ending accident. I am fortunate I have other things I can do work wise but it has ended almost all of my other activities.

Mark
                      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 06-16-2008, 12:17 PM. Reason: clarification
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,
                        I am so sorry to hear about this accident that you had. I had no idea. I will keep you in my prayers, as I know what physical (and mental too) pain can do to one. I hope you heal quickly and that all your surgeries are successful so you can get back on your feet.
                        Good Luck,
                        Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
                          Mark,
                          I am so sorry to hear about this accident that you had. I had no idea. I will keep you in my prayers, as I know what physical (and mental too) pain can do to one. I hope you heal quickly and that all your surgeries are successful so you can get back on your feet.
                          Good Luck,
                          Jim Don
                          Jim thanks for your wishes and I did not mean to be confusing but this is a repost from 2-years ago. The leg is doing well but still has some issues. While I think the leg is as good as it will get they continue to do surgery on my shoulder.

Mark.
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'll still note you in my prayers for any upcoming shoulder surgery. !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X