The Ladder and Safety

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ladder and Safety

Here are 5 pictures of how never to use ladders. Think of what using ladders like this could result in happening. I have a good feeling these were all done by prefessional stunt crews and may be trick pictures. My reason for posting them is that you should not even think of trying any of this yourself.
    Attached Files

Re: The Ladder and Safety

for some reason this seems to be a favorite in farm country, the loader ladder extender,
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

forget the ladder, sell me some of that free gas in the first photo

25 plus years ago i bought a multi purpose ladder. after setting it up as an extension ladder, i started to climb up it. as i approached the 3/4 way it started to flex and started shake. i jumped off before i fell off

brought it back to "national lumber" pre home depot days. and the manager was too scared to try it. he gave me a full refund

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I saw a good one today.

A "painter" on top of a 20' extention ladder scraping facia on a house.

Not that unusual really except it was tied and duct taped to the end of 40' extention ladder

He did have someone on the sidewalk spotting him at least.

I have a picture of it on my phone. I had to look away for fear of seeing something really tragic happen.

Comment

Hey PCrack, let me have that photo for my safety class. I'll put it on as one of my opening Powerpoint slides that I ply while waiting for everyone to get seated. Photos like that get people talking about other scary stunts they have seen on the job.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            forget the ladder, sell me some of that free gas in the first photo

25 plus years ago i bought a multi purpose ladder. after setting it up as an extension ladder, i started to climb up it. as i approached the 3/4 way it started to flex and started shake. i jumped off before i fell off

brought it back to "national lumber" pre home depot days. and the manager was too scared to try it. he gave me a full refund

rick.
            Mighty Rick rises again

Comment

We had a roofer replacing the roof on Rick's business property who was awful in every way. He got to the point where he tried to refuse to talk to me because he made his agreement with Rick and I was the arguer, even before we were married.

He had a guy up on the roof that had a ladder propped up against it. He would push the ladder away from the roof as he pullied down material. At some point the roofer decided to get on the ladder without telling the guy on the roof. As he was climbing up the guy on the roof started to push the ladder away from the building without realizing it now contained a 300+pound man.

I was so mad at everything that took place before this that I told him it was a good he didn't fall, because I would have called OSHA first and 911 second
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                I saw a good one today.
                I have a picture of it on my phone. I had to look away for fear of seeing something really tragic happen.

crack, post the photo here. it's bound to run up the view count

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

My HVAC instructor has a 6" scar on his forearm where he fell off his ladder. He was working at a Pizza Hut and didn't have a tall enough ladder. His great idea was to back his truck up to the building and put the ladder on the bed of the truck. When he got halfway up, the springs compressed enough to cause the ladder to slide off. He ended up in the bed of his truck with the bones of his forearm sticking out.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have a stupid thing that I did the other day ona job. I volunteered to help a friend cut some stucco for windows, I was using a diamond blade and it went dull after the first cut, it was an old blade, I got my use out of it. I didn't have another, so I put a diamond blade on the grinder from a worm drive. It worked great, cut the stucco all the way through, clean job. I was very nervous doing it. All went well.

Now, later that afternoon I was installing a late afternoon water heater and I was screwing the vent connector to the draft diverter and the drill slipped and cought my hand and I penetrated my pinky are at the big nuckle palm area with the phillips head. I looked and saw a hole in my hand, crapped my pants, put on bandaids and a latex glove, finished the job, got the water back on. Now I have to deal with it for a couple weeks

Point is, you never know when something bad is going to happen. When you are doing silly things, it may not happen then, but it will happen. Always practice safety.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

robert, my brother in law is in town

pick up your phone

he can help

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

A fellow contractor, placed his ladder on a fascia board so he could install drip edge on a roof. New construction, sandy ground and he didn't place a board under the ladder legs. Needless to say, the legs sunk into the ground while he was up on top. There was a 2' over hang eve, and the ladder crashed into the wall, Rick crashed into the ladder, sort of speak, then hit the ground. Soffits were 10' off the ground, so ya theres a bit of a distance.

When he got up, he was more embarrassed about the incident and kept on telling everybody he was fine, no need to go to the hospital, etc. Playing it tough, know what I mean. 15 minutes later, he cannot breath, he collapsed to the ground and the crew calls 911. Later on, we find out he only had 1 or 2 more minutes to live when the ambulance got there, so this was in the nick of time situation. When he crashed into the ladder, from the impact of the wall, a ladder rung hit his chest pretty hard.

The impact caused a puncture in his lungs, both lungs. He was really fricken lucky to survive. Look at all the safety you can do for yourself when using a ladder, who cares if someone laughs at you for taking so much precaution, your life depends on your methods of doing things..... Sorry this was so dang long, I could have made it longer, naaaaa
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

was rick his real name, or you just playing with me

next time use robert as an example. i returned that lousey ladder

actually it's mark with the nasty ladder story

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Yes his real name is Richard, nick name Rick and thats what we call him, very true story. Happened about 4 yrs ago now.
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

any ideas on how to tie off on a roof when there is no loop allready there. tieng off to a tin chimney doesnt work they pull appart i found today. i want to solve this problem before winter here. no local guys seem to tie off. are ther any systems out there that are a quick install?

it seems silly wo walk up to the peak of an icy roof to tie on whrn im workin 5 feet from the edge then wialk up to unclip. allot more walking on the roof untied.

please help my back still hurts from falling off the roof of the house and onto the garage. plus the owner made me replace a bulb that broke from my impact the filiment fell apart, salt in the wound
                              how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                              X