Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PPE rules from OSHA

OSHA Issues Final Rule on Employer-Paid Personal Protective Equipment
    OSHA announced in the November 15, 2007 Federal Register a final rule on employer-paid personal protective equipment (PPE). The rule provides a clear, concise policy that all PPE, with a few exceptions, be provided at no cost to the employee. "Employees exposed to safety and health hazards may need to wear personal protective equipment to be protected from injury, illness and death caused by exposure to those hazards," said Assistant Secretary of Labor for OSHA Edwin G. Foulke, Jr. "This final rule will clarify who is responsible for paying for PPE, which OSHA anticipates will lead to greater compliance and potential avoidance of thousands of workplace injuries each year." OSHA estimates there will be 21,000 fewer injuries per year as a result of the rule.

OSHA Outreach Training Program Sets Record
    OSHA's Outreach Training Program had another record-breaking year in fiscal year (FY) 2007. During the year, 522,248 students were trained - an 18 percent increase from FY 2006. The program sponsored 35,536 classes - an average of over 680 classes per week. Eighty percent of the students were trained in construction. The rest received training in general industry and disaster site preparedness. In FY 2007, there was a 26 percent increase in the number of students receiving the 30-hour training courses. The OSHA Outreach Training Program is the agency's primary method of training employees about occupational safety and health. Through the program, individuals who complete a one-week OSHA trainer course from either the OSHA Training Institute (OTI) or an OTI Education Center are authorized to teach 10-hour or 30-hour courses in constr uction or general industry safety and health standards. In the past five years, the number of students has doubled. More than 1.9 million employees have received outreach training.

Register for your FREE OSHA QuickTakes newsletter today!
    visit: http://www.osha.gov/pls/quicktakes/e...ribe.subscribe
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: New PPE rules from OSHA

I just found a program in Maine that offers free (or next to nothing) OSHA safety training (confined space, construction, the works). It's sponsored by the Maine Dept of labor and called "Safety Works".
    Do other states offer anything like this?
    As a business owner it may be worth looking into. I find it hard to believe that Maine is a first in anything, or maybe our painfully high taxes are paying off in this case.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

i know the place i work for had to pay for it

when the company i work for started getting things for fall protection they got 3 harness to use . i said they should get every one there one and they said no cost to much . well i said i will not use it just like i will not trust other peoples repelling equipment when i go .so after i needed to have some for a job i was on and said i can not do it with out my own the did brake down and got me my own . then the other people thought about what i was saying and toled the boss they need there own and got it .

so ask for it and if they dont get it dont do it
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Yeah, it's bad enough to share tools that co workers don't take care of.
        I remember setting up one morning to continue a main line run and I was off by 4 tenths. I was driving myself nuts trying to figure out if I was doing bad math that morning or if I mess up the day before (meaning time to dig up brand new pipe) Then a co worker says " I knocked that thing(laser) over yesterday" after that our crew had our own laser and transit back up.
        I have always insisted on my own safety equipment. NO WAY I'm putting my safety in the hands of some zipper head.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Yes, it's nice to have your own FAS (Fall Arrest System) and other PPE. Some PPE should not be shared and should be issued to the individual employee. Believe it or not respirators are not one of those pieces of PPE that can not be shared. The employer is required to sanitize them and store them in a manner in which they will not become contaminated before use. FAS is also PPE that is not individual issue, but that does not mean an employer can not choose to issue personal PPE to each employee.

On the flip side whether you are issued your own personal PPE to use or it is a piece of shared PPE, you the user are responsible to perform the required inspection(s) and maintenance as may be required for that PPE and to stow the equipment properly when not in use. That means you don't take that $750.00 safety harness and lanyard and toss in the bottom of the gang box where sharp tools, chemicals (what are they doing in a gangbox anyway?), what have you can damage the harness. Same goes for respirators and other PPE. You can't expect an employer to buy you a new harness and lanyard every 6 months or so because you were too lazy to care for it properly.

My personal opinion is that were feasible issue to each employee their own PPE. They are more likely to give it the respect it deserves to ensure it stays in proper working order. Employers are required to provide the necessary maintenance or to replace PPE no longer serviceable as always.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."

Comment

We are required to wear safety shoes, 'steel toed boots' if you will and every employer I have worked for since I can remember has had the same requirement. No employer has ever offered to pay for my boots. Aren't boots part of PPE?

-Tom

Comment

Foot protection is required for certain tasks by OSHA, your employer is enforcing that requirement by making you wear steel toe (or composite) boots. Steel and composite toe boots meeting the ANSI standard are considered PPE, but employers are not required to pay for them.

Employers can choose to supply them if they wish or they can reimburse employees if they so choose. If they required you to wear a specific brand or style of safety shoe or boot then they might be required to pay for them.

You CAN deduct personal safety equipment on your taxes as an misc expense, be sure and have receipts though to back them up.

In the NPRM OSHA Said:
              C. Proposed Exceptions
              OSHA proposed to require the employer to pay for all PPE required by OSHA standards, with explicit exceptions for certain safety-toe protective footwear and prescription safety eyewear. Safety-toe protective footwear and prescription safety glasses were excepted from the employer payment requirement, in large part because these items were considered to be very personal in nature and were often worn off the jobsite. The proposal would have allowed the exceptions if they met the following conditions: (1) The employer permits such footwear or eyewear to be worn off the jobsite; (2) the footwear or eyewear is not used at work in a manner that renders it unsafe for use off the job-site; and (3) such footwear or eyewear is not designed for special use on the job. In addition, under the proposed revision, the employer would not have to pay for logging boots required by 29 CFR 1910.266(d)(1)(v) (Id. at 15403).

The full text is available here:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...TER&p_id=20094
              Last edited by Bob D.; 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Comment

Thanks Bob D. I have wondered about that for a long time.

-Tom

Comment

Working...
                X