I've been shot!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been shot!!!!

While doing volunteer work, I was holding a board while someone else nails it with a pneumatic framing nailer. The gun misfired and shot 2 nails at the same time. One nail went into the wood but unfortunantly the other nail went into my arm. The doctors doubt I have any permanent damage and while I still have my grip strength, my forearm feels very tired. When I was being treated, they asked me to wiggle my fingers and the nail wiggled back and forth. I'll try to post the xray pics later but it never came close to the bone. I guess being fat has its advantages. I got lucky as this was only my arm as I wasn't wearing safety glasses.

Having some technical problems loading the pics but they're coming. If you look real close at the nail in the bottle, in about the middle of the nail you'll see a reddish line and that's how deep the nail went in.
    Last edited by gear junkie; 07-12-2008, 08:01 PM.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: I've been shot!!!!

sorry about that ben. hope you're fully healed for the next roundup and arm wrestling. it was your left arm right

get better and always wear the glasses. i learned a lesson 5 years ago with some metal slivers.

a hitachi nr83a has lots of power

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

When I told Rick about this over the phone, I only mentioned it was a nailer, never the brand. He replied that it must have been a hitachi nr83a. While the model number was wrong he did pick the right brand with no hesitation.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

sorry you got "Nailed",

hope you heal fast,

I think most any one who uses a nailer will sooner or later get hit some how.

They are a tool that needs to be respected.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Wow Ben sorry to hear about your run in with nailer, but glad it wasn't more serious. Safety glasses next time right???

Remember: You can walk on a wooden leg; you can chew with false teeth; but you can't see with a glass eye. (NMCB21 Safety Chief always said that)
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

OH WOW!!! glad to hear you're ok and that it was only an arm. Hope you don't try holding a board the next time someone want's to held in place while nailing it.

Comment

Ben,

I'm glad that you are going to be okay and thank you for sharing your story. Your accident should remind us all how easy it is to get injured.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Here you go Ben. You can't send a boy to do a man's job
                Attached Files
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Thanks for posting those Joey. I was gonna try and help him this morning.

Comment

Feel better, and I hope it doesn't keep you from work.

Comment

That smirk on your face tells a story

I'm glad the doctors were able to save it

I hate to see a perfectly good nail go to waste

Any tissue damage? Nerve damage? Vascular damage? Brain damage?

Comment

PC, I love your job title!!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          That smirk on your face tells a story

I'm glad the doctors were able to save it

I hate to see a perfectly good nail go to waste

Any tissue damage? Nerve damage? Vascular damage? Brain damage?
                          this was already present

glad your ok ben
                          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

First time I've ever seen a nail deposited in a small plastic cup!

Anything is possible when volunteers are involved, I promise. Got many stories of habitat for humanity homes that were taken down and rebuilt because 200 people showed up and 3 knew what they was doing.

This reminds me of the framers in new construction at lunchtime would wire the safety back on their nail guns and take bets who could hit the squirrels off the power lines outside. At least that's what I heard.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

In a word, OUCH!

Comment

Working...
                              X