Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

DH & I are planning on remodeling our very tiny galley kitchen and adjoining family room by expanding out about 8 feet. The problem is, neither one of us has an eye for what goes together. We both know what we like/don't like when we see it, but just aren't creative enough to coordinate things on our own.

So, are we better off getting an interior designer's perspective first, or hiring an architect? Are architects trained in any way to help people decide on things like what countertop color looks best with a particular cabinetry color? On the flip side, would an interior designer be aware of things like plumbing & electrical requirements/codes? This is the home we plan on staying in for at least the next 15 years, until our children finish school, so we'd like to make it very much "ours".

Can anyone help? TIA!

Re: Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

I can tell you from years of experience that most architects and Interior designers get along like cats and dogs. Unless you get them both from the same firm (and even then there might be conflict) be prepared to have a bucket of cold water to separate them. Get the architect first. He/she will probably recommend someone for the colors etc.

Comment

An architect can help you only if you change the structure of your house. In many cases removing a wall could weaken the ceiling or puting a strain on other parts of the stucture.

Contact first an architect Contractors San Diego
      make sure your plans are safe and then contact an interior designer.
      They are much more qualified to advice what looks good in your house.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
        I can tell you from years of experience that most architects and Interior designers get along like cats and dogs. Unless you get them both from the same firm (and even then there might be conflict) be prepared to have a bucket of cold water to separate them. Get the architect first. He/she will probably recommend someone for the colors etc.
        They got cha....

Spam.......
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
          They got cha....

Spam.......
          When you are old and decrepit, s--- happens

Comment

Hey Jim,
            Don't be too hard on yourself. I had to read the first post a couple times before I smelt somethin'.
            Maybe Josh will put that guy in Davey Jones' locker on Monday when he gets to work.
            Hey, is it gettin' cold in BigForks. We can feel the change coming and the geese are already moving here in Wisconsin.
            Cheers,
            Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
              Hey Jim,
              Don't be too hard on yourself. I had to read the first post a couple times before I smelt somethin'.
              Maybe Josh will put that guy in Davey Jones' locker on Monday when he gets to work.
              Hey, is it gettin' cold in BigForks. We can feel the change coming and the geese are already moving here in Wisconsin.
              Cheers,
              Jim Don
              No, it isn't getting cold, yet. Still Bluebird weather. The leaves are turning, tho. Guess old man winter isn't to far away. Oh yeah, it didn't bother me that the spammer got me--only that Garager did!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                No, it isn't getting cold, yet. Still Bluebird weather. The leaves are turning, tho. Guess old man winter isn't to far away. Oh yeah, it didn't bother me that the spammer got me--only that Garager did!!

ice is starting to form on the lakes here. having a nice fall,....... so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                  ice is starting to form on the lakes here. having a nice fall,....... so far.
                  Thats because your waaaaay up there my friend. I think you need to show us some pictures of your village and the surrounding area.

I used to live up in North Pole AK, so I know what your winters are like and you can have them. I'm just happy where I live these days.

Whats your average snow fall during the winters up there????
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X