X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take care of your back

I messed up by back BIG time. I couldn't even stand up straight all weekend. This is the most pain I've ever been in, in my life and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.
    Dr. is concerned I may have blown a disk but hopefully it's just a vertebrae that moved out of place. Either way she says bed rest for at least a week.
    I think it's from digging a 3 1/2' deep hole trying to locate a septic tank. At one point I layed on my stomach and went head first down the hole to move a rock. No pain at that time but 24hrs later I barely made it through my last job.

Just a reminder for every one to take care of your body. If I had been doing back exercises like I,m suppose to This could have been avoided.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Take care of your back

I'm sorry to hear that. I am often concerned about how and what I lift. The number one thing I do not like doing is carrying those 1 1/4" cables down to the basement.

Hope you get feeling better. I am going to be a little more careful.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Take it easy for a while Gene.Hopefully you have the option without too much hassle.Hope the diagnoses is in your favor.

Comment

I think every plumber you talk to will will you about a time they hurt their back. I have a back issues going back 15 years. I've been where you are Gene and it sucks. Hurting so bad I slept on the floor because I couldn't make it upstairs to bed. It was easier to just piss in a bottle than go through the agony of crawling to the bathroom.

If it's muscle issues I think just lying around makes it worse. My back tends to loosen up if I move around more. Once or twice a year still get a twinge every now and then.

I have 5 min streching routine every morning before I pick up my tool bag or load up a water heater.

When you get tired of taking the pain meds and the muscle relaxers pick up a TENS unit. I wear one under my shirt. (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation). This has been my savior.

I bought this unit because it has a muscle AND nerve stimulation:
        http://www.lgmedsupply.com:80/twstteandems.html

Read the instructions and DON'T apply the electrodes to your temples. It's only funny until someone turns it on. Instant seizure.

Comment

This is the kind of Thread that can be of help to many reading, especially those who have not gotten into trouble yet! I hope your back pain is muscular and temporary. I've had back problems/pain for many years, pulling manhole covers, carrying telephone poles and all sorts of other off balanced and bad positioned activities took their toll. We also have to respect the fact that as we get older the body requires more time to warm up before a strenuous activity and some things should be avoided altogether. We do so much bending and lifting and so little work/exercise for our abdominal muscles that the body gets all out of balance and it's just a matter of time before it gives out. If you are taking pain meds try not to overdo them because they can cause other problems in the body. Tens unit can be a life saver if you need one. Homemedics makes a Shiatsu/Massage cushion with or without heat that really massages the back muscles. Now is not the time for such a device but it sure loosens up the back cramps. Best of luck.

Comment

gene, i've been there done that

do you get a stabbing sensation in your butt, down your leg

mine lasted 4 years and was worse when i was doing nothing. lost most of my flexibility, but not strength.

try an aleve/ naprosen 1 a day. this is what helped me through the day.

good stretching and building up your core will protect your spine.

joey doesn't like when i give medical or legal advise

plumbing advise is ok

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Gene,

Did your Dr. talk to you about going to Physical therapy for your back?

The reason I ask is because I'm a Student Physical Therapist Assisstant, and I think you could really benefit from it.

Quick questions, do your pain go down your back and into your legs, or does it just stay in your back? Is your pain dull or does it feel like pins and needles?

- if the pain is tingling (feels like pins and needles) and going down your leg then its a disk out or place and its touching a nerve.

- if the pain is dull and achy then its just a muscle issue and not a disc problem.

A simple realignment of your hips maybe done along with heat and exercises. The TENS unit that PlumberRick has is great for some people, but not for others.

Just for a quick fix for you at home:

- get a small towel and wet it down, put it in the microwave for about 30 sec. This will be very hot, so use something else besides your hands to get it out. Then put inside another dry towel fold it up and lay down in a position that is comfortable for you, and put it on your back for about 30 minutes just to relax your muscles. Don't leave it on longer than that because you will feel very achy and plus it won't work after 30 mins.

In Physical Therapy we use exercises and other methods to fix your back pain without being on heavy muscle relaxers or pain killers that don't allow you to do your job or anything else you love to do. Just ask your doctor about a referral to PT.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              I messed up by back BIG time. I couldn't even stand up straight all weekend. This is the most pain I've ever been in, in my life and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.
              Dr. is concerned I may have blown a disk but hopefully it's just a vertebrae that moved out of place. Either way she says bed rest for at least a week.
              I think it's from digging a 3 1/2' deep hole trying to locate a septic tank. At one point I layed on my stomach and went head first down the hole to move a rock. No pain at that time but 24hrs later I barely made it through my last job.

Just a reminder for every one to take care of your body. If I had been doing back exercises like I,m suppose to This could have been avoided.

Comment

I'm a Student Physical Therapist Assistant, here are a few things to remember about your back.

-The main thing to remember about picking up heavy tools is to bend at your knees, so that you are not using you back muscles. Instead you use your thigh muscles that are bigger and stronger than your back muscles.

-you should always suck in your stomach muscles to protect your back when lifting. Your stomach muscles wrap around your back, so when you pull them in you support your back from injuries.

A suggestion:

Look for a physcial therapist in your area and have them come and teach you and your employees about how to do your job safer.

Less injuries, Less workers' comp. = More money for you and your company

Good Luck

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                I'm sorry to hear that. I am often concerned about how and what I lift. The number one thing I do not like doing is carrying those 1 1/4" cables down to the basement.

Hope you get feeling better. I am going to be a little more careful.

Comment

As a Student Physical Therapists Assistant, my best advice would be to remember to bend at the knees when picking something heavy up. Your back muscles are only for keeping you sitting up. Instead, bending at the knees will make you use your thigh muscles which are bigger and stronger than back muscles.

Try getting in touch with a Physical Therapist to come and show you how to be safer at work. They won't tell how to do your job, but just to be safe.

Remember: Less injuries + Less workers' comp. = more money for you and your company

I'm sorry if I have post this info before. I'm just getting use to how the forum works.

Good Luck

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  This is the kind of Thread that can be of help to many reading, especially those who have not gotten into trouble yet! I hope your back pain is muscular and temporary. I've had back problems/pain for many years, pulling manhole covers, carrying telephone poles and all sorts of other off balanced and bad positioned activities took their toll. We also have to respect the fact that as we get older the body requires more time to warm up before a strenuous activity and some things should be avoided altogether. We do so much bending and lifting and so little work/exercise for our abdominal muscles that the body gets all out of balance and it's just a matter of time before it gives out. If you are taking pain meds try not to overdo them because they can cause other problems in the body. Tens unit can be a life saver if you need one. Homemedics makes a Shiatsu/Massage cushion with or without heat that really massages the back muscles. Now is not the time for such a device but it sure loosens up the back cramps. Best of luck.

Comment

By now you all can tell that I love Physical Therapy just like you guys love plumbing, HVAV, and Drain Cleaning.

Well, exercises are very good, but you should really talk with a Physical Therapist or a Trainer to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly.

It's best to fix what's causing the pain (disc out of alignment or hips out of alignment) than to just stop the pain, because it will come back.

Comment

hey Rick, tell Joey it's ok, I got your back on the medical issues, some of them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wif View Post
                        As a Student Physical Therapists Assistant, my best advice would be to remember to bend at the knees when picking something heavy up. Your back muscles are only for keeping you sitting up. Instead, bending at the knees will make you use your thigh muscles which are bigger and stronger than back muscles.

Try getting in touch with a Physical Therapist to come and show you how to be safer at work. They won't tell how to do your job, but just to be safe.

Remember: Less injuries + Less workers' comp. = more money for you and your company

I'm sorry if I have post this info before. I'm just getting use to how the forum works.

Good Luck
                        We can all benefit from your educated advice, good to have you onboard. I think there are some jobs and some activities that carry greater risk and sometimes injury is not avoidable. All those years I pulled manhole covers weighing hundreds of pounds, I bent my knees and tensed my abs, but the movement is explosive and your feet are not always on a level or non-slip surface. Things like carrying heavy bags of concrete on your shoulders or telephone poles for that matter, compress the spine and these things add up over time. I agree that building up the core muscles and consulting with a physical therapist are good ideas but certain needs of the jobs will continue to put folks at risk and lead to injuries no matter how well prepared we are. Gene got hurt while lying on his stomach. My guess is that he was arching up and cramping his back muscles which probably went into spasms?

Comment

Please remember that only you can take care of yourself and your general health. It pays to take care of yourself.

Comment

After a back injury about 10 years ago, the doctor told me the reason for my chronic backaches was weak stomach muscles (12 pack abs instead of 6 pack) If you are at all paunchy, it would probably (after you recover) pay to do some crunches, etc. and tighten up the stomach. My doctor said that basically, your back and stomach muscles share the load of lifting and if one is weak the other gets more than its fair share of work.

Comment

A few years ago I pulled a muscle in my back. The physical therapist said I needed to do exercises to build up my inner core. Apparently I differ then most as I have a strong outer core and a weak inner core. So my arms and legs can pick up and move more then what my back can handle.

I'm not "paunchy" by any means, in fact I could stand to gain 20-30lbs

Ultimately it comes down to me not taking care of my body and doing the exercises that I was told to do. Just like when we complain about customers not doing what we advise them to do. This is why I'm pi$$ed at myself. It's my own fault and I could have easily prevented it by doing what I was told by a professional.
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Working...
                              X