Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knee Pain

Just an update,

My knee got a big egg on it and it changes in size during the day. The boss told me to go to the doctor and get it drained off, but hearing stories of how they do that have me taking ibuprofen like tic-tacs.

Consequently, I have been digging (by hand) and in crawl spaces so healing is taking some serious time. I really don't understand how plumbers deal with knee injuries if they don't stop using their knees for a while.

The volleyball knee pads really help, but the pressure they put on my knee just being on there makes it very painful. I wear these under my jeans. http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2227741

I did try another pair of pants I used for shooting that have the foam inserts in the knee. The just don't have enough padding for me. The are called 5.11
    tactical TDU pants if anybody is interested.

I know one thing, I'll never work with knee pads on again.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Rick kneels on foam gardening pads. They sell them everywhere-99cent stores, Target, Home Depot. I usually buy the least expensive since they are pretty much the same 1" thick foam. He just tosses them when they get too flat and opens up the next one.

Getting your knee drained does hurt, but it also relieves the pressure and it is almost instant relief.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Just as my back has pretty much healed, my wife Candy, is going in for knee surgery on Thursday. She's actually looking forward to it as it's been giving her trouble for a while. DR say's she should be good to go after a week of rest. She had the same surgery when she was 11yo and was jumping rope 3 days later, but that was a few years ago.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Do not use carpet samples. Do not use volleyball pads. Do not use pipe insulation.
          Buy a professional kneepad made specifically for the trades.
          They will distribute your weight evenly, cradle your kneecap, flex well when you walk, and add years to your mobility which will put thousands of dollars in your pocket.
          Ask yourself, if you have to take off work for even a half day because your knees hurt, how much money will you lose? I bet it's a lot more than $80.

Comment

The problem I have with kneepads is that little rocks will get trapped between the pad and your knee and that really kills the knees bad. Blackhawk just came out with kneepads that clip to your pant so you don't lose circulation with the band trapped aroung your leg.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

the proknee brand I posted about there is a 30 money back if you do not like them or can not get use to them. http://proknee.com/index.html yes there expensive but you will not lose any thing (except for possibly some shipping) if you do not think there worth it,
              Q. What if I don't like my knee pads?

A. ProKnee offers a 30 day money back "we guarantee you'll love them" policy assuring your satisfaction with our product.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post

Do not use carpet samples. Do not use volleyball pads. Do not use pipe insulation.
                Buy a professional kneepad made specifically for the trades.
                They will distribute your weight evenly, cradle your kneecap, flex well when you walk, and add years to your mobility which will put thousands of dollars in your pocket.
                Ask yourself, if you have to take off work for even a half day because your knees hurt, how much money will you lose? I bet it's a lot more than $80.
                Which ones or brand do you recommend that are made specifically for the trades?

BHD
                Proknee is what many of the flooring installers wear. I am not sure how they would hold up. I know they say that they can be used for plumbing but I have my doubts. I had a friend, who was a tile guy, that loved them.

I have really learned a great deal from this injury. I'll spend what it takes to never have this happen again. I might give ProKnee a try.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-400...023912&sr=1-39

I don't know if this is the brand, or not, but when I was in my early twenties I ran a crew troweling epoxy coatings on concrete. We spent a lot of time on our knees on concrete and we used pads similar to these. We liked the articulating style like these because they seemed to stay in place better when you were up and down. The ones we had, guys used to literally drop from standing to their knees by just flipping their feet backward and landing on their knees with absolutely no pain. For twenty bucks, you can't go wrong. Go to amazon.com and search knee pads - there are 250 choices right there! I know we used to buy ours from an industrial supply house and they sold replacement straps for them, which was nice because the straps always wore out long before the rest of the pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                    Which ones or brand do you recommend that are made specifically for the trades?
                    You should look for a company who's entire product line is safety products (rather than a tool company that decided to add some knee pads to their product line).
                    Also, look for an easily cleaned, smooth plastic cap over the knee. On one pair I had, there was a plastic "tread" of sorts on the cap that would collect dirt and crap from one job site, then grind it into the finish floor of the next job site.
                    Go through the yellow pages and see if you can find anyone locally that carries this kind of gear, because it's really something you need to try on and walk around in.

Comment

[QUOTE=Tyman;186256]
                      BHD
                      Proknee is what many of the flooring installers wear. I am not sure how they would hold up. I know they say that they can be used for plumbing but I have my doubts. I had a friend, who was a tile guy, that loved them.

[QUOTE]

The Proknee, I would not wear them in the mud or in a contaminated area, with a lot of "stuff" on the floor, and I do not think they would work well in a tight craw space,(where your more army crawling) in a nice crawl space they would would be good.

I do not think there the ideal for all situations,
                      but in a construction situation or when needing to be on your knees and working on a fixture or similar, IF I was cleaning drains I would use some thing disposable to kneel on or sit, on a bucket.

the outer wear or floor contact area is more of a fake leather type material what looks like to me about 3 to 4 layers of a canvas with some type of soft plastic impregnated in to it about 3/16" of an inch thick, and it is replaceable,

the strap goes at the upper ankle and about mid calf, they basicly rid on the top of one shoe so they do not slide down, (in a sense they kind of look like a catcher shin guard), so they do not cause problems with pressure behing one knee with straps,

If your walking and moving a lot and up and down I think there great, all I can say is in doing some construction and floor work wearing them I really thing there the only thing I could use to do the kneeling I have been doing I find them a life saver with my knees,
                      One of the neat features of the proknee is the way they spread out one weight, over your lower leg and not jsut on the knee. IF it was not for the Proknee I would not have been able to do what I have been doing the last week here, was with any thing else I have tried about 15 mins is all I can stand and with the proknee I have been able to be down on my knees for up to 3 to 4 hrs a day, yes I pay for it at night, but I am able to get the job done and with out them I would have had to hire some one or only work about an HR a day on the current project I am working on project.
                      no I am not plumbing, this week, but I would wear them IF I was drilling holes or running pipe and need to be on my knees.

ALL I know is they have really helped me a lot, and with out them I would not be able to kneel very long at all, but I am guessing my knees are about as bad as one can get, after the accident I had on the one knee, in the process of repairing it they chiseled out a slot in my shin bone so it is like kneeling on a 1/4" piece of some thing.
                      Last edited by BHD; 11-08-2008, 07:03 PM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                      X