Knee Pain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Pain

Last edited by Tyman; 02-22-2010, 06:33 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Knee Pain

I'm down to about 8 hrs. in a crawl space. I don't/haven't used pads.

Comment

Ty,
      I usually go to a carpet store and ask if they have any carpet pad remnants. Figure the size you want, fold it over to make that size, then hot glue the two halfs together. I usually make two or three at a time. If you need to, you can throw one on top of another for more support. Could also do that with carpet remnants, but the pad shakes dirt and dust off easily. When they get ripped or look horrible, throw em out and start early. You might also look at the yard and garden kneeling pads at like Steins or another yard store. Sometimes I have knee pads on and still use the kneeling pads just cause they make a long long day more comfortable. But don't be buying any $80 pads, just not worth it when you can form up your own.
      Cheers,
      Jim Don
      PS, Naproxen Sodium (naprosyn) OTC will help a lot today. Make you feel like a new man. Also I.C.E. if you don't go to work. It stands for Ice, (ice pads on the knees every half hour or so, C -- compression, like an Ace bandage wrapped around the offended area, but don't go too tight and cut off circuilation, and E, for elevation -- put your feet up, get your head lower, couch or lounge chair. And watch the tube. Get the excess blood flow off that tender area. A day or so like that you should be good to go.
      Last edited by JimDon; 10-28-2008, 07:57 AM. Reason: added more info in form of a PS

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
        The past couple of days I noticed my knee hurting. This morning I wake up and my knee is HUGE. Now I have to got to work and get on my knees again.

My question is, do you use knee pad or a kneeling pad?

I normally wear volleyball pads under my pants but I am also considering a kneeling pad. Consequently, I forgot to wear my knee pads a couple days last week and now I'm in trouble.

I was checking out kneeling pads on the net and they were around 20.00. When I typed in plumbers kneeling pad the price went to 80.00.
        $80 high.Knees priceless.Maybe go to walmart or similar and maybe get an exercise pad and cut it as you wish.I find folding a large bath towel works for me.Take care.
        Kenneth Collier
        Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
        Jackson, MS 39206
        (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
        drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

many in the flooring industry swear by these, http://www.proknee.com/ there not cheap IMO. but they are good IMO.

I bought a set, and I can use them and get on my knees finally again, for a few hrs a day, I have not been able to kneel/crawl with out them for the last 10 years, they with out them I can only kneel about 5 to 10 Min's with out major problems and that is on some thing soft, like dirt or carpet. before I would lay on my side to do "normal kneeling work".

stay for the most part where you put them on your leg, and the weight is not on the knee it self but more on the upper shin bone area, they ride on your foot, so they do not slip down,

another thing I use a one of the rolling stools/seats, http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

and the famous 5 gallon bucket to set on instead of kneeling,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

after having my knee drained with a horse needle 6 times

i started using a kneeling pad on 90% of my floors/ ground.

the ones that work are the small garden foam pads. approx. 12'' x 16'' x 1''

cost $1-2.00 i have them in all the colors

also the 2'x 2' interlocking floor squares work great for larger areas like cabinets, floors, outdoors. these are available at costco, auto parts stores and are approx. $10. for a 4 pack or 8 pack at costco.

i rinse them off when dirty and they're good to go.

horse needle or kneeling pad you make the choice

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I worked with some experienced guys at base PW and asked what tools I should get that I might not have thought of. They all said a foam pad and they use theirs all the time. They used 2" black foam insulation for chiller pipes that comes in a big roll and it was very durable. I located some foam pad that came in a 4x8 sheet and I cut it to size and always kept some in the truck.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I wear knee pads religiously, I own around 7 pairs and many styles. My favorite are the gel knee pads.

Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Garager, is that a pic of the Three Musketeers or just a Finlander beauty pageant?

Comment

Well, make it through the day with Ibuprofen. Told the owner when I arrived at work and I could tell he wasn't happy. Stud to dud in 10 seconds.

I really just need to slow down and take better care of myself. Sometimes all I can think about is getting the job done and getting to the next one so I can eat supper with my family.

I am going to try the carpet foam pad. I know just the guy to call.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      Garager, is that a pic of the Three Musketeers or just a Finlander beauty pageant?
                      Well of course this is a pageant, and the dog tried to steal our show, damn dog!!!!

Tyman, gel knee pads are awesome, you should try them if you haven't already. They also come with you when you move and keeps both of your hands available for other duties....
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

20 yrs ago a doctor said i should get out of the plumbing business to save my knees ,i said ok can i have a job as your helper .
                        well the next year i just moved to PA and the 2nd week here on a mon morning my knee locked up in bed before work ,well by wed i was under the knife and out of work for 8 weeks .
                        i do HVAC work now but when i do have to kneel i use 4" thick of Armerflex insulation and it works good
                        and a hot tub is nice also
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

just a suggestion.

hocky shin guards.

Vince

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                            Well, make it through the day with Ibuprofen. Told the owner when I arrived at work and I could tell he wasn't happy. Stud to dud in 10 seconds.

I really just need to slow down and take better care of myself. Sometimes all I can think about is getting the job done and getting to the next one so I can eat supper with my family.

I am going to try the carpet foam pad. I know just the guy to call.
                            How is the pads working?How are the knee's?Ibuprofen is good stuff. Take care.
                            Kenneth Collier
                            Maintenance and Sewer

P.O. Box 9441
                            Jackson, MS 39206
                            (601) 613-2678 (Cell)
                            drainman881999@yahoo.com

Comment

I have had knee pains on and off for many years and have tried all types of knee protectors and all were just uncomfortable as they slipped up and down my legs and were never in the right position to protect my knees, until I came across eez neez which has a foam membrane built into my overalls or long work pants to protect the knee and you forget their there when working.

www.eezneez.com.au

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X