Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Have you had your gas applianced checked lately?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you had your gas applianced checked lately?

I forgot that Ridgid had a safety topic so I moved this thread here

A customer calls to have her boiler checked. She suspects something isn't right with it but doesn't give any details over the phone. She has been a good customer over the years but has never asked for preventive maintenance on her boiler.

It's a Teledyne Laars JVS-100 boiler. Can anyone tell me if this boiler is supposed to have a flame rollout switch? This one did not

A 2 minute inspection with the SeeSnake Micro reveals that the heat exchanger is severly clogged and spilling Carbon Monoxide into the house. So bad in fact, the CO detectors had started to alarm.

The owner had mistaken the CO detector for a smoke alarm Didn't see any smoke so they were convinced it was defective and pulled the battery out. It wasn't until their tenant next door called about his CO detector going off that they clued in that something might be wrong

She fessed up that she has had her 'handyman' look after the boiler the last few years. All I see is that he brushed the dust off the top of the jacket. Burners and chamber were filthy. Simple regular maintenance would have prevented a boiler replacement and a near death experience. She had been feeling ill the last few days and decided to stay home from work.

This is how Carbon Monoxide kills. It will lull you to bed thinking you have the flu, then it slowly suffocates you with your own blood.
    Next thing you know, you wake up dead

Colorless, odorless and tasteless. They don't call it the 'Silent Killer' for nothing

Please have your fossil fuel burning appliances checked by a professional

Enjoy the video..................
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LjescmFp78

Re: Have you had your gas applianced checked lately?

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
    She fessed up that she has had her 'handyman' look after the boiler the last few years.
    It never ceases to amaze me how cheap people can be. Even if it means putting their life in danger...at least they didn't have to pay for an "expensive" professional boiler service.

Also that 'handyman' should be punished, he's lucky he's not being prosecuted for involuntary manslaughter.
    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

bill, i was expecting to see your bare feet

no more excuses. i expect good things from you at the next video contest. "how ridgid builds your reputation"

i'm working on a new idea for mine. you know i have a reputation to back up

have you thought of connecting a mic to the recorder/ computer and documenting the findings? but i do like the graphics and the music is "soot"-hing

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

BTW, great video.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Rick, how you will be able to top the Potable Pasteurized Frappe?

Sorry for the crappy production. I only made the quick recording so she could show her husband when he got home. I'll try to steady the lens better and add comentary on the next one.

But I don't want anyone to complain about how my voice sounds like Mush Mouth from Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids

Thanks for the nomination Bob and Carl

Maybe I'll start to use the videos to train some of my guys on what to look for when doing inspections.
          Last edited by plumberscrack; 11-22-2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I like the music with the camera rolling over the exchanger multiple times. I almost became....plumbing hypnotized.

J.C.

Comment

The owner had mistaken the CO detector for a smoke alarm Didn't see any smoke so they were convinced it was defective and pulled the battery out. It wasn't until their tenant next door called about his CO detector going off that they clued in that something might be wrong
              She's really lucky. The smoke/CO detector I put in actually verbally tells you what is wrong. "Beep Beep Beep Fire Fire Fire" or "Beep Beep Beep Warning Carbon Monoxide".

Comment

PC, your post and video should be sent to news media all over the country. Most people don't realize there could be anything wrong with there appliances unless they don't work. Unfortunately then it could be too late!

Comment

Over the course of a heating season I will inspect maybe 50-60 boilers.

The ones that scare me the most arn't the turn of the century clunkers without any safety switches built in. These things can go untouched for 20 years and still burn clean.

It's those small first generation high efficiency units crammed in next to a washer and dryer. These are the most deadly IMO. Without proper maintenance, these seemingly innocuous appliances can clog up and begin spilling CO in just a matter of a few months.

People ask me all the time why there parents boiler lasted 70 years but this one needs to be replaced after only 15 years. "Because it's trying to kill you and there's little I can do to stop it" Now that may sound a bit overstated but it's true.

This woman is lucky but she doesn't realize just HOW lucky. All the pieces were in place for a really bad thing to happen. The boiler without a flame rollout sensor. The half-witted handyman to the shortsighted homeowner and her disabled CO detector. One of the symptoms of CO poisoning is confusion. This may have played a roll as well.

93% of American homes have a working smoke detector but only 15% have a Carbon Monoxide detector. Are you one of the 85% that DOESN'T?

The numbers for unintentional CO-related deaths in the US are all over the place. Ranging from just a few hundred to a few thousand. It is the most common type of poisoning in many countries.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I like the music with the camera rolling over the exchanger multiple times. I almost became....plumbing hypnotized.

J.C.

When I saw the word polyps I didn't know if this was Madonna's colonoscopy or what!

As a plumber I don't mess wtih furnaces or boilers, never was interested in that field as plumbing is broad enough. I do know that there are lots of hvac/plumbing companies as they go hand in hand.

If you're a big enough company, between those two facets I'd say job security isn't even a worry.

They are the two highest paid trades in the industry. Now where's my steak!
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Rick, how you will be able to top the Potable Pasteurized Frappe?
                      That's proprietary info I can tell you one thing. . . .it will not be an edible ending
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                      X