Wedding ring-take them off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding ring-take them off

I haven't worn mine in about ......well never really and here's a good story why.

I met an older gentleman a month ago missing his ring finger. I knew he served in Vietnam so I figured he lost it in the war and I shouldn't inquire further. Someone asked what happened the other day and he told us a story how he never wore his ring while in the military(he was a pilot). He got out of service and his wife made him put his ring back on. 10 days later he's taking a helicoptor ride and as he jumps out of the helicoptor, the ring catches on something and deskins his entire finger. Needless to say, the doctors finished the job by amputating the rest of his finger.

Thankfully the wif has never made me wear my ring because she understands my feelings on the matter.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Wedding ring-take them off

I'll remember to take mine off the next time jumping out of a helicopter that's for sure

Comment

I would never wear mine to work, it would go straight into my pocket or left on my night stand. But when I'm not working, its on my finger right away. This used to bug my wife, me taking the ring off. Especially if I went to do some work at single woman homes. After many years and lots of trust, she got used to it. I did get my finger caught one day and it hurt like crazy (it was on a hand railing), so that was that. But my indecent happened before I was married, so I think I've been taking all jewelry off, since I was 20 or so.....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Don't tell Brenda but I'm really not quite sure where my ring is anymore. My original ring had to be cut off when I was still in my twenties so I stopped wearing it for work.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

if you are working in electrical cabinets it is best to remove your rings and/or other jewelry. Many work places have this stated as required in their safety manuals/procedures for all types of work, not just electrical for the very reasons that have been given by others in this thread.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Time, cost, or quality; pick any two but you can't have all three.

Comment

I have a sharp shooter that has a rivet to hold the blade to the handle. After about the 3rd time (not the same day) of that rivet catching my ring and gouching a hole in my skin I got wise.....My wife just said, "why don't you throw that shovel away."
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

when we went to get our rings i said to nancy that after the wedding and honeymoon that i will not be wearing the ring so lets not spend much on my ring .i said it it is not the ring that will keep us together but the trust we have for each other

and after about 1 month the ring did not fit any more

and i dont ware a watch or a necklace
              Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 01-01-2009, 07:21 PM.
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                when we went to get our rings i said to nancy that after the wedding and honeymoon that i will not be wearing the ring so lets not spend much on my ring .i said it it is not the ring that will keep us together but the trust we have for each other

and after about 1 month the ring did not fit any more

and i dont ware a watch or a reckless
                ....a reckless what?

Comment

I wear reckless
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                    I wear reckless
                    That seems reckless of you.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                      I wear reckless
                      And you wear it well

Comment

I was a paratrooper in the Army and they repeatedly told everyone to not wear rings (or any jewelry) when on a jump operation.

Most everyone also knew not to wear them when going out to any field exercises (on and off trucks, heaving gear, etc).

Well, luckily nobody I knew ever had a parachuting accident, but one guy in our batallion did strip his finger jumping off a truck when it caught on the back frame. Ouuuch. One of my buddies absolutely insisted that he have his wedding ring with him at all times, so he compromised by hanging it on a necklace... right next to his dogtags chain, so the uppers couldn't complain much about that.

I wore a watch on my belt loop (and under the BDU blouse) for those years in the service... Same reason- avoid catching it on things and breaking my wrist. And I still to this day do not wear my wedding ring when woodworking, or doing anything else involving moving parts or machines.

Oh! one more thing *not* to do.. work on a ladder barefoot! A friend of mine in high school did this, fell off, caught his pinky toe in some gap or joint of the ladder (unclear) and his entire toe tore clean off. OUCH.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                          Oh! one more thing *not* to do.. work on a ladder barefoot! A friend of mine in high school did this, fell off, caught his pinky toe in some gap or joint of the ladder (unclear) and his entire toe tore clean off. OUCH.

I guess that little piggy went OWWW!! OWWW!!
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Based on the title, I thought this thread was going to be advice towards home-service repairmen hitting on lonely housewives.
                            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              ....a reckless what?
                              it is to be necklace
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X