Saw Stop - This is amazing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Stop - This is amazing

I saw this on Discover Channel's Time Warp the other day.

This device totally eliminates cut fingers on a table saw. The inventor even demonstrates by running his finger into the blade of a running saw. It sounds gruesome, but it stops the blade so fast, not a single drop of blood is drawn. Very cool.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/213489...o_save_finger/
    Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Re: Saw Stop - This is amazing

Originally posted by joe_d View Post
    I saw this on Discover Channel's Time Warp the other day.

This device totally eliminates cut fingers on a table saw. The inventor even demonstrates by running his finger into the blade of a running saw. It sounds gruesome, but it stops the blade so fast, not a single drop of blood is drawn. Very cool.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/213489...o_save_finger/
    This is great technology. I think it is certainly worth it in a commercial shop; and if I ever buy a cabinet saw, I don't think I will look at anything else. The price tag is steep, but my fingers are sure worth more than the $2000 or so premium.

Comment

But the video didn't show him put his finger in it!!! Waaaaa!

Wish I'd had one on my band saw Don't click if you don't like nasty looking stitches!
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Schools

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
          But the video didn't show him put his finger in it!!! Waaaaa!
          They did during the show. Stopped instantly!

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          Schools
          Nah, kids would be setting it off just to break something...
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
            Nah, kids would be setting it off just to break something...
            When I was in middle school a girl cut a few fingers off on a bandsaw. A $5000 initial outlay; and $100 and sending a few kids to the office for goofing around, is much better than the alternative of a kid without fingers (and the accompanying lawsuit against the district).

Comment

In 30 plus years of doing this, I've never touched a power tool blade while it was running. Been cut a bunch of times, fortunately not seriously, but always by either hand tools or by sharp edges of the wood itself. Having said all that, the sawstop is amazing. But sadly, the average home wood butcher might not be able to afford it. I only hope the technology becomes affordable for everyone.

Agree totally that it should be a requirement in schools. But, do schools still HAVE woodshops in other parts of the country? They are for the most part a distant memory around here (San Jose,CA).

-Andy

Comment

I was fortunate enough to visit a "Woodcraft" store while visiting a sister in Roswell, GA as they were demonstrating this device. The inventor himself was doing the demonstrations. He cut this and that, and then cut the infamous hot dog to demonstrate the tool. When he asked for a volunteer, no one raised their hand. When he put his own finger on the board and proceeded into the cut I, of course, caught a deep breathe but the blade stopped. Yes, it's pricey and I agree with dirty hands that schools would be the first place I would like to see them installed. Thanks, David

Comment

Who's ever seen a malfunctioning device? TV failed? Air conditioner packed up? ABS not working on your car?

While having additional safety features is commendable, to rely upon them by inserting your fingers into a running table saw blade is just insane.

No way, no how should this be put into schools and advertised as such. Why not simply introduce them, but educate the kids that a table saw WILL cut your fingers off, no questions asked.

What happens when Johnny goes home and uses Dad's tablesaw, that doesn't have the feature? We'd be educating Johnny to have less respect for the tool, because it isn't dangerous.

I don't like the connotations of this at all.

Comment

Roadster280 makes some good points.

I would still like to see it in schools, no question... but I think I agree that the feature shouldn't be advertised.

No way would I volunteer to jam MY finger into that thing, tho.... but then again, I wouldn't bungee jump, either. Definitely not a replacement for proper shop safety education.... but still, it can save some serious injuries and that makes it worthwhile, no?

-Andy

Comment

Have a saw and kids?

Comment

Yes I do. The point I was making is that to rely on something that would have terrible consequences if it failed (or was not fitted at all) is a poor policy.

Education and good practice are prerequisites to any safety devices. The best safety device in the world is common sense. Deliberately putting hands in table saws goes against that for me.

Lowering the blade and taking the yellow safety key out of the switch works for me every time so far as my kids are concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                          Roadster280 makes some good points.

I would still like to see it in schools, no question... but I think I agree that the feature shouldn't be advertised.

No way would I volunteer to jam MY finger into that thing, tho.... but then again, I wouldn't bungee jump, either. Definitely not a replacement for proper shop safety education.... but still, it can save some serious injuries and that makes it worthwhile, no?

-Andy
                          I agree, have the feature there, for an extra saftey measure, teach the students the same was as if it was a regular tablesaw

Comment

Love to see them come up with a retro for a saw not of their mfg.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadster280 View Post
                              Yes I do. The point I was making is that to rely on something that would have terrible consequences if it failed (or was not fitted at all) is a poor policy.

Education and good practice are prerequisites to any safety devices. The best safety device in the world is common sense. Deliberately putting hands in table saws goes against that for me.

Lowering the blade and taking the yellow safety key out of the switch works for me every time so far as my kids are concerned.
                              I agree with respect to students!
                              However, it's my understanding that some commercial shops stopped using them, in spite of the insurance savings. It seems if the wood has too high a moisture content it transmits a signal to the device thru the moisture and crashes the blade. I understand some shops found that too expensive over all and went back to high end cabinet saws?

BuckB

Comment

Working...
                              X