Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a fire extinguisher in your work vehicle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a fire extinguisher in your work vehicle?

just wondering.
    fire extinguisher
    4.55%
    first-aid kit
    13.64%
    none of the above
    13.64%
    Both a fire extinguisher & first aid kit
    68.18%

Re: Do you have a fire extinguisher in your work vehicle?

One under the passenger seat and another near the back door of the van

Both rated ABC whatever that means?

One currently need to be recertified but the gauge still is in the green

Comment

Both rated ABC whatever that means?
      It is the type of fires that the extinguisher is effective on.

There are four types(and some handy ways to remember them):
      A = Something that burns and leaves an Ash
      B = Stuff that BOILS & BURNS like gasoline and other flammable liquids
      C = Things that CONDUCT like electrical switchgear, motors, breaker
      panels, etc but only when energized
      D = Combustible metal fires. You won't run into these too often.
      This is metals like magnesium that are self-sustaining and very
      difficult to put out.

There is usually a number associated with each letter, that letter indicates the relative effectiveness of the extinguisher on a type of fire. So a 2A-10BC can be used for wood and paper or cardboard fires (Tape A); Grease fires (Type B); and electrical ires (Type C). An extinguisher with a 5A-20BC would be more effective either because it contained more of the extinguishing agent (larger unit) or a different agent that is more effective at stopping the chemical reaction that creates fire.

That is my $0.25 feedback on fire.

I believe if you have a Class 3 Truck you are required to carry a fire extinguisher, not sure about the First Aid kit.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

the reason i'm asking is because i had a situation once when i was out in the middle of no-where.

i was cruising out on the land when i started smelling oil smoke coming from under the hood.

i stopped and checked. wouldn't have mattered anways 'cause i didn't have a fire extinguisher.

when i joined the volunteer fire department up here i added a first-aid it.

purple-K is an extinguishing agent that is designed for vehicles that are subject to extreme temperature differences. it doesn't cake-up. pretty cool stuff.

Vince

PC, if you look really close on the extinguisher you might find the actual weight of it when it left the factory. the gauges don't always work.

Comment

Vince, You might like to have a look at this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple-K

Update: My second link was messed up so I uploaded the file to the forum after saving it.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Woussko; 03-26-2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            i couldn't get the second link to work but i didn't see anything with wiki about temperatures. or did i miss that?

Vince

Comment

we have both on all the trucks and when we use a torch or grinder we have to have the fire extinguisher right with us
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Vince,

That link was a mess so I downloaded the file and then uploaded it to the forum. I hope it works for you now.

They say - Various extinguishers will operate at temperatures as low as -65 °F and as high as 120 °F (-54 °C and 49 °C).
                Caution: Never mix ‘Purple-K’ with phosphate based dry chemicals. A chemical reaction that is harmful to the extinguisher will take place.

There is more info in the .PDF file

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Right now neither item are in my vehicle but that will change very soon and then I'll have both.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Woussko; 03-26-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                  i was cruising out on the land when i started smelling oil smoke coming from under the hood.

i stopped and checked. wouldn't have mattered anways 'cause i didn't have a fire extinguisher.

when i joined the volunteer fire department up here i added a first-aid it.

Purple-K is an extinguishing agent that is designed for vehicles that are subject to extreme temperature differences. it doesn't cake-up. pretty cool stuff.
                  Two 10 pounders in my truck. Anything smaller is pretty useless.
                  About every six months, You should invert them and lightly tap the side onto a hard surface to loosen the powder. It gets pretty packed down with the vibration of a vehicle.

Vince, In our Fire Department we put about a pound of Purple-K in paper bags for chimney fires. Carry a plastic 5 gallon pail of the purple-K bombs in the Engine, some in my truck too. The easiest and cleanest way to extinguish a chimney fire. Up to the roof and pop in a bag or three. Purple-K hits the fire, the wall of the chimney, pops, and it's out. Keep them stored dry.

Mick

Comment

the few times i've used my fire extinguishers were for others, car fires.

unfortunately, the first aid kits have been for me

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

when my son was cutting scrap iron, (and we have been in a drought so it has been dry around here a lot the last 10 or so years), we set up a 60 gallon water tank on his truck with a High volume RV pump self regulating, with a regular garden hose and a spray nozzle,

he had two fires in grass that need help before this set up,
                      and since he put this set up on his truck none, he wets the area down before he starts to cut with the torch and has it handy when cutting, and has not had a fire since, 3 years now.

besides "normal" fire extinguishers, in the cab, I have usually carried one of the forest service style back pack 5 gallon pumpers in the pasture pickup or on the welding truck.

the back pack style pumper is a good unit, you can put out a lot of grass fire with one if the wind is not to bad,

about 8 years or so now ago the neighbor had been cutting trees that were dead down and the day he burnt them was calm, but about three days later some embers were still going and blew across into grass land, I was out in my pasture, saw the smoke and drove to the tractor and hooked up the disk implement and grabbed a set of wire cutters, and headed north, got through the first fence and put out fire for over 8 miles, (the fire departments worked on the other side of the fire, (it melted most of my reflectors on the disk and the tractor,
                      When it was said and done, there were 7 fire departments and a number of fertilizer plants sent there water transports and they filled out of a irrigation well, and when I was leaving the fire about 150 yards from the main owners of the grass land, the fan pulley on the tractor wore in two, and cut the fan belt in two as well, so I got a ride home and came back a few days later and fixed the tractor.

a electrical transformer (for an irrigation well) over heated and set my pasture on fire once, it only burnt about 50 to 70 acres, fortunately,

with the high winds the other day, (gusting to 60 MPH), north of me they had a fire that burnt for about 15 miles before they got it under control,

so yes one takes fire safety very carefully around here,

when harvesting wheat I usually keep the tractor and disk setting at field side just in case, wheat field fires are not fun, fortunately I have never had one.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        besides "normal" fire extinguishers, in the cab, I have usually carried one of the forest service style back pack 5 gallon pumpers in the pasture pickup or on the welding truck.

the back pack style pumper is a good unit, you can put out a lot of grass fire with one if the wind is not to bad,
                        In the Fire Department, we call these 'pi$$ cans', They work great if you know how to use them.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        about 8 years or so now ago the neighbor had been cutting trees that were dead down and the day he burnt them was calm, but about three days later some embers were still going and blew across into grass land, I was out in my pasture, saw the smoke and drove to the tractor and hooked up the disk implement and grabbed a set of wire cutters, and headed north, got through the first fence and put out fire for over 8 miles, (the fire departments worked on the other side of the fire, (it melted most of my reflectors on the disk and the tractor,
                        When it was said and done, there were 7 fire departments and a number of fertilizer plants sent there water transports and they filled out of a irrigation well, and when I was leaving the fire about 150 yards from the main owners of the grass land, the fan pulley on the tractor wore in two, and cut the fan belt in two as well, so I got a ride home and came back a few days later and fixed the tractor.

a electrical transformer (for an irrigation well) over heated and set my pasture on fire once, it only burnt about 50 to 70 acres, fortunately,

with the high winds the other day, (gusting to 60 MPH), north of me they had a fire that burnt for about 15 miles before they got it under control,

so yes one takes fire safety very carefully around here,

when harvesting wheat I usually keep the tractor and disk setting at field side just in case, wheat field fires are not fun, fortunately I have never had one.
                        For the people that have never witnessed a grass fire on a breezy day, you would not believe how fast it can spread. For that most part, a fit person can't out run it.

Mick

Comment

Interesting that with 14 votes cast to this point, not one carries a Fire Extinguisher alone, if they have one they also have a First Aid kit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	14votes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	618717
                          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

Working...
                          X