Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting thrown/bashed by right angle drills.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting thrown/bashed by right angle drills.

After reading the post on (right angle drills needing electric brakes) I was inspired to start a new thread about getting bashed or thrown by the large drills we use in plumbing. Any body got any hole-hawg horror stories? Any timber-wolf tragedies? Haha enough with my rhyming I shall tell about my own. Being only 5'4 and 120 lbs I have been thrown in excess of 20 feet from a standing position into a pile of insulation bags by an old Milwaukee hole hawg in low gear. I have also been chucked off a ladder and through two studs and managed to land on my feet before hitting my a$$ on the floor, both of which after hitting nail clusters with self-feed bits. Also know of many other people bigger than me who had this happen to them especially from ladders. After it happened to me twice I ALWAYS brace the handle against a stud or other fixed object regardless of what gear it is in. I heard Dewalt makes a drill that this does not happen with. I would like to try it. Anyone else have any similar situations where they've become airborne when drilling?

Re: Getting thrown/bashed by right angle drills.

i stopped a hole hog in low gear with the bridge of my nose/ eye brow

had a 3' cheater handle on it while drilling for waste and water under my driveway to the garage about 15 years ago.

6 or 7 stitches and i was good to go

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I've never owned a hawg.
      Timberwolves/Dewalt for me since the first day I had enough money to buy my own drill(80 something).The company supplied Hawgs,I was way faster and CLEANER with The Timberwolf.Helpers had an easier time drilling a straight hole.I loved punishing the kids and making them come back to "hone" the crooked holes.The pipe could Tick by way expansion binding if not.
      Used other guys Hole Hawgs...That tool is out of the stone age.Yeah sure,some guys want something that will chomp into knots and nails with a bit they don't know how to sharpen.Still a waste of energy even with a sharp bit.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        I've never owned a hawg.
        Timberwolves/Dewalt for me since the first day I had enough money to buy my own drill(80 something).The company supplied Hawgs,I was way faster and CLEANER with The Timberwolf.Helpers had an easier time drilling a straight hole.I loved punishing the kids and making them come back to "hone" the crooked holes.The pipe could Tick by way expansion binding if not.
        Used other guys Hole Hawgs...That tool is out of the stone age.Yeah sure,some guys want something that will chomp into knots and nails with a bit they don't know how to sharpen.Still a waste of energy even with a sharp bit.
        I agree very much. I have never used a timber wolf but hole hawgs seem pre-historic to me not to mention the sheer amount of physical effort it takes to drill a hole with one with a hole saw especially. They weigh a ton too and are not very ergonomically designed, and only work good with like REALLY sharp preferably brand new self feed bits, at least as far as the limited experience with them I have goes.

Comment

In my short stint doing residential new construction:

I was up on a ladder. It was where the horizontal 3" turned down into the wall, so I was face drilling the beam that the 2nd floor floor joists connected too with a 4" hole saw The teeth were dull and I was starting to move the hawg around in circles. Had the brace bar on, as well as and 18" extension. I still don't know what happened, but that bit grabbed something and spun the drill. Next thing I knew I was on my back looking up and my jaw hurt like hell! When I was assessing things, it turned out I not only bent the 1/2" extension, but had also torqued it to where the shaft was now a spiral. I wish I had a camera phone back then.

Comment

I love a hole hawg with a sharp self feeding bit. I take the couple extra seconds per hole to check for, and pull nails before drilling.

I also spent my first 6 months as a helper with a bruised jaw from that damned thing. I finally did learn.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              I love a hole hawg with a sharp self feeding bit. I take the couple extra seconds per hole to check for, and pull nails before drilling.

I also spent my first 6 months as a helper with a bruised jaw from that damned thing. I finally did learn.
              I usually pull as many nails as I can but sometimes where two top plates intersect there can be large clusters/bent nails that can get in the way. In this case I would pry the area open with my nailbar and sawzall them out, or use a hole-saw when I hear that intimidating "CLICK". Sometimes they tend to get dirty and blend in too, making them difficult to see, or the boss is telling you to hurry up. All of which are just accidents waiting to happen. When I used to frame I tried to put the nails as close to the studs as possible so plumbers/HVAC/electrical would not end up with any nasty surprises. Wish more framers were more careful...that could make a good construction forum thread, something along the lines of "dear framers, stop putting nails everywhere we drill our F*@#$%@&* holes!
              -Mark

Comment

honestly, just take their nail guns away, you'd be amazed how much more careful they are.

but really, a properly braced hole hawg, with a Good sharp self feeder is the greatest thing to me, all you have to do is get the drill in place, and it does all the work.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Totally agree. The old guy that taught me how to frame before I got into plumbing was dead set against nail guns. I can tell why too as no 3 1/2 inch spike could withstand more than two good smacks from his framing hammer without being countersunk perfectly. When you learn how to do this its way more valuable than a nail gun, and cheaper, and it still works when its too cold to run the compressor/run out of gas/no electricity! And in my opinion hitting your thumb/fingers with a hammer is WAY less bad than putting a nail through the hand/finger. Especially paslode, that red glue stuff on those things HURTS!

Comment

4 stitches in my forehead and a repaired left front tooth.

Yes, I'm a slow learner.

Comment

Working...
                    X