Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobsite Safety - Always Close Doors Behind You

I cannot stress this enough:

If you are at a customer's home, whether there are kids or pets, ALWAYS shut a door behind you that leads to a set of steps, whether they go up or down.

Kids see an open door as opportunity, and whether or not there's a cover over the knob or not, it could lead to disaster for a toddler or a family pet that takes the notion to go somewhere they shouldn't of, thus the reason the door was shut.

Shutting the door provides the scenario of what was there before you arrived, moved into that room.

Saturday night I was working around a family with two young sons. Even though the mother walked right past the open door I left for a matter of one second, it was an intersection of 4 people moving around.

The mother never said a word, as she walked right past the open door, but without surprise I was 2 feet from the open door (had tools in my hands) and one of those 2 boys was eyeballing down those steps.

Could they of made the move? Of course...but I was already attentive to the situation that a million I'm sorrys or a million tears won't change the fact that the service provider created a dangerous yet simple scenario that could of led to a serious spinal injury or even death.

It was that moment I saw that kid looking down them steps that I was against the difference of fate or fearful protection...and protection is the step I took.

Sometimes the best methods of protecting are ones that don't have an incident to prove there was a threat...you just know and simple things like an open door can have tragic results if you are not aware to the situation.

I don't even have kids of my own...and I was covering for what the one parent wasn't even acknowledging.

Keep your customers safe, even though they might not practice the same. It could be the difference of numerous lives affected, not only the one who wasn't aware of the impending danger.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Jobsite Safety - Always Close Doors Behind You

Another good habit is to walk behind your van/truck before backing up.
    It happens here 2-3 times a year, parents run their own child over in the driveway.

When I worked for the cable company their policy was, ANY time your van/truck was parked a traffic cone had to be placed behind it. That way you had to walk behind to pick it up. No ifs, ands, or buts, no cone and your fired on the spot.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I accidently let a customers cat out the other day. The customer wasn't home so I let myself in using the lockbox key. He darted through my legs before I even stepped inside. Spent the next hour looking for him. Finally cornered him in the neighbors garage and brought him home. Confused and angry customer called me later that day. Turns out it wasn't their cat

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        I accidently let a customers cat out the other day. The customer wasn't home so I let myself in using the lockbox key. He darted through my legs before I even stepped inside. Spent the next hour looking for him. Finally cornered him in the neighbors garage and brought him home. Confused and angry customer called me later that day. Turns out it wasn't their cat

Rotflmfao.

If that is a true story, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a looooong time. That's priceless
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have a similar cat story, many years ago I was working at a house and the gal who lived there made sure that we knew not to leave a door open as she lived on a busy street and did not want her cat to get out. Well one of my guys did leave the door open a little when he went to the truck and when he returned to the house found a cat sitting there. He scooped up the cat and brought it into the house where he let it go. A little while later he hears this terrific cat fight and when he goes to investigate, he finds the cat that he brought into the house up at the ceiling hanging on to the crown molding. My customer was amused by the events that had occurred in her house and told us that the cat we had brought in had been terrorizing he cat through the window for years.

Comment

many years ago i had a high rise condo building that i needed to cut a hole in the closet to access the tub drain. went down to the truck for supplies and both cats were inside the wall behind the tub

manager was freaked out they would get lost. told her impossible, but she wanted me to cut another hole to get them out in the public hallway i knew the noise alone would get them to run out.

so now they had 2 holes to patch

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

LOL! This happened to me before with a dog, but it happened a few times before. I didn't have to chase the animal though.

For new customers with loud dogs approaching the home, I treat each situation individually but I stress putting the dogs up for insurance regulations.

Safer in the long run for all parties involved, yappers in the basement; don't want to hear the nonsense.

You know there are many other dangers inside a customer's home, but this one I took notice immediately and thought it was worthy of the read/discussion.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

[QUOTE=plumberscrack;277211]I accidently let a customers cat out the other day. The customer wasn't home so I let myself in using the lockbox key. He darted through my legs before I even stepped inside. Spent the next hour looking for him. Finally cornered him in the neighbors garage and brought him home. Confused and angry customer called me later that day. Turns out it wasn't their cat [ /QUOTE] here kitty kitty!!!! splat!

Comment

LOL Sounds like my luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X